VG-99 Hiss and EQ

Started by chrish, July 23, 2016, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

So i've been pouring over these vg99 threads and i came across a reference to how this box has a hiss on some of the cosm models, especially acoustic models. I followed the thread advice of setting the gk-3 to optimum position of 20mm from the bridge, 1mm string spacing when the last fret pressed and to set the sensitivity between 20-30. My 3rd string is set to 6. These settings help minimize the hiss as the thread suggested it would. My question is this: has anyone found the optimum notch fiter setting to further reduce the hiss? Also, what eq setting do you use to take the harshness out of the reverb tails and delay feeback?

aliensporebomb

Can I hear an example of what you are experiencing?  MP3 would be fine.  I also am curious what your GK levels are set to.  GK2 or GK3?
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

From high E to low E: 21-22-7-22-26-26. The mystery is the  G string setting of 7. I have the radius screw on the gk-3 turned all the way clockwise, so the G string is the closest to the pickup pole. The radius on my 8 string ibanez (pickup is under the normal 6 strings) is fairly flat so the Low E and Ai are around 3mm from the pickup pole and can't be raised any higher with shims without the other strings hitting the pickup. The hiss seems to occur as a chord is fading out. I'll try and post a mp3 as soon as i can. I think it may be a digital artifact and it reminds me of a snare drum when the snares are moved. Btw- really enjoying you Pod series patches, thanks for posting those. Using the expression pedal to change the A-B balance is cool  and gives a good morph effect.

gumtown

I'm a bit behind the times, old topic, but reflects on my initial findings, after having just gotten a VG-99 recently.
A bit of hiss on some models, but tamed back with about -3dB off the EQ high gain.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mooncaine

Double check that you aren't using a noise suppression settings. There are two to check for, because COSM guitar models (sometimes? always?) have their own NS settings (it's the last setting you find if you keep paging right on the VG-99's COSM settings screens). Turn them all off. I think the COSM's NS settings are turned on by default. Most patches I discover probably seem to have NS turned on. Lots of mine do because I forget that it's there or don't hear a problem.