GR55 patch and audioplayer midi controller

Started by Geer, August 21, 2015, 01:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geer

I like to sit on my couch and play along with some backingtracks. What I don't like is bending over my guitar to the floor and pushing 500 ;) buttons and dials before I can play an other song. I found a solution by using an iPad. Now I control my ROLAND GR55 and LINE6 X3 (or some other midi device) by midi with just a few clicks on my iPad.
Roland does not support midi codes for controlling the Audio Player of the GR55. Therefor I made this add-on. This add-on can not damage your GR55 and can easily be removed without a trace. Order info is in the video.

Happy Playing,
Geer

Have a look at YouTube !

Downloads

GR55-X3 controller V2 mididesigner template (with audioplayer control)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz6fp9lmXsR-bVRrVjR5MGRJQ0E

GR55 Ad-On build-in instructions.  QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE (PDF)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz6fp9lmXsR-dWx3UVQ5LWhhcDQ

Very detailed build-in video ( MP4   1 GB )
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz6fp9lmXsR-VzdST0h4QXdnaXc

TAGS: iPAD ROLAND GR55 GR-55 LINE 6 X3 MIDI controler audio player mididesigner

Elantric

Here,

Absolutely brilliant! Excellent Contribution to the GR-55 world

(Details here)

And the concept of employing MIDI / Arduino controlled opto switches in parallel across existing mechanical switches lends itself to many other projects - Like adding MiDI control to other gear.

I'm placing an order today to help support your efforts

Geer

Thanks for your comment Elantric.
I developed the add-on and the software especially for the GR55 but you are absolutely right, the add-on can control any device that has push buttons and/or a rotationwheel.

whippinpost91850

whippinpost91850

Quote from: Elantric on August 21, 2015, 05:18:23 AM
Here,

Absolutely brilliant! Excellent Contribution to the GR-55 world

(Details here)

And the concept of employing MIDI / Arduino controlled opto switches in parallel across existing mechanical switches lends itself to many other projects - Like adding MiDI control to other gear.

Me tooooo!!!!!!!!!

I'm placing an order today to help support your efforts

adagosto

Geer,

Thank you so much for sharing this.  This looks pretty amazing and I love your video and humor!!  Great work.

Thanks!

utensil

geer this is awesome, I can't find any link to order one of you add ons, do you still have some available?

Id like to use it to control the gr55 buttons via iPad so I don't have to keep bending over. I don't use the audio player much but having access to the rest will definitely save my back.

Elantric

Quotegeer this is awesome, I can't find any link to order one of you add ons, do you still have some available?

All details are on the Youtube video - must watch it

One minor update for "Rev2" - add a MIDi controlled  optocoupler internally across the GR-55 CTRL Foot Switch  - so we can finally have external MIDI control for the GR-55 Hold Function!

Geer

Hello Utensil,  Yes, I stil have add-on's available, order info is in the video. Like Elantric said : you can control any button and a rotation wheel on any device.  In the GR55 setup is a momentary 'control'  button provided. 
(Midi info deleted see update further on  GR55-X3-v5)
All control commands are on midi channel 16.

utensil

Hi Geer

Thanks , sorry I watched the video but may have missed seeing that bit about how to order, I was curious how the patch changes are working? since the midi in is essentially split , I'm guessing the GR-55 is directly seeing the patch change midi commands and the add on is picking up the relevant cc messages. Any issues with the communications getting garbled or messages getting lost occasionally?

Also can the micro controller (It looks like some kind of arduino nano or something) be reprogrammed to another midi channel . I was interested to add my own arduino into the GR-55 to add some foot switches but would prefer to just combine into this existing micro controller to combine the functionality.

Sorry for all the questions but your amazing solution has started me thinking of all the things I'd like the Gr-55 to be for my uses.

Geer

Hi Utensil,
1. The GR55 is picking up midi on channel 1, the X3 on channel 5 and the add-on on channel 16. There is no way that they could conflict. No massages will be lost.
2. The programming pins are soldered to the micro controller so it can be reprogramed.

If you wish the add-on reacts to an other midi channel, just let me know.  I picked channel 16 and the higher commands to reduce the change some other midi device in the chain would conflict.

Geer

Things sometimes go a bit different then expected.
It is and was always my intention to deliver a complete product for happy playing on the couch.
Some of you see other possibilities in using the add-on in all kinds of equipment that have pushbuttons en can not be midi controlled.

In the original add-on programming wire 7 and 8 are for turning the rotation wheel and where not available for pushbutton control. I altered the programming so 7 and 8 can also be used to control a button. Original functioning stays fully in tact.

For those who have already ordered and received the add-on, let me know what you want:
1 You want to receive a new micro processor at your address and solder it in yourself.
2 Send the add-on back to me , I will reprogram the add-on and send it back to you.

vtgearhead

Neat.  Would love to see this approach adapted to provide direct MIDI control of a Variax (i.e. not via an X3 or HD500).  I'm also going to take a hard look at my Fender Mustang III amp :-).

Geer

Thanks Snhirsch,
but .....
All this creative thinking, help!, I can't keep up. Working on the HOLD button now.

whippinpost91850

Geer

Version 5 coming out Tuesday 25 aug.
Including some user wishes. The template now has a HOLD button on the GR55-X3 tab.
In fact, all switches now have a CC witch will toggle the switch so now the add-on can be used for every electronic device with pushbutton controls. 

Except for the extra HOLD button, nothing has changed to the original concept.

MOMENTARY SWITCHES
Led1   D2   Player on/off                    ControlChange   90  Opto 01
Led2   D3   ENTER                             ControlChange   91  Opto 02
Led3   D4   Paddle 3  PLAY on/off         ControlChange   92  Opto 03
Led4   D5   Page left                          ControlChange   93  Opto 04
Led5   D6   Page right                        ControlChange   94  Opto 05
Led6   D7   ControlButton on/off          ControlChange   95  Opto 06
Led7   D8   Rotation                          ControlChange   96  Opto 07
Led8   D9   Rotation                          ControlChange   97  Opto 08

Led13  D13  End of song select sequence     or 
           recieving midicode within 90 to 127 but not in use.

TOGGLE SWITCHES         
Led1   D2   Player on/off                    ControlChange    99  Opto 01
Led2   D3   ENTER                             ControlChange   100  Opto 02
Led3   D4   Paddle 3  PLAY on/off         ControlChange   101  Opto 03
Led4   D5   Page left                         ControlChange   102  Opto 04
Led5   D6   Page right                        ControlChange   103  Opto 05
Led6   D7   ControlButton on/off          ControlChange   104  Opto 06
Led7   D8   Rotation                         ControlChange   105  Opto 07
Led8   D9   Rotation                         ControlChange   106  Opto 08

vtgearhead

Quote from: Geer on August 23, 2015, 09:49:48 AM
Thanks Snhirsch,
but .....
All this creative thinking, help!, I can't keep up. Working on the HOLD button now.

Not to worry.  I'm just a restless techie with more half-brained ideas than time to implement them.  The Fender amp actually speaks I2C with its control pedals, so different decoder ring required :-).

Geer

I made a promise to you, I can not keep. I promised a new update by today.  I worked hard to get it done but did not succeed. The reason is that I want to want to give you a MIDI add-on that can do everything you want.
Please, give me a few days more.

The new Add-on will have the following functions:

Full original GR-55 function + Ctl Hold       or

8 momentary switches              8x2 wires      or
8 toggle switches                      8x2 wires      or
4 rotary wheel controls             4x4 wires      or
2 stepper motor controls           2x8 wires      or       any combination. Only limited by the 8 available wires.

A Midi Channel selector    (channel 11 to 16 )

Because this GR55-X3 project has developed in something completely different, I will start a new post later this week.

I hope you like this
Hang on.

Elantric

Geer - Its all excellent work, and you efforts will open many new doors for remote MIDI control   - check your email inbox too

whippinpost91850

Geer

For the last week, I spent every spare minute on creating new ideas,  developing,  programming testing debugging adding new hardware and so on. The new add-on must be able to control everyting you and I can think of so it has to be perfect.
That means the it's not ready jet. An other ting is that I want to stop rushing myself because it is driving me and my wife nuts.

Right now I'm working on perfecting the driving of different steppers and servo's in different ways.

If someone ask me ":
"Can the add-on can control my mechanical the ringer of my bike by using midi?"      or 
"Can it control my non midi audio mixer?"                                                            or
"Can it control my lightshow?"                                                                            or
"Can I control my whole non midi paddle board and can I make pre-sets for it ?

I want to answer: "Yes, you can!"

I ask you for even more patience.

Elantric

whippinpost91850

I received an email from member Geer , about that some of my request and wish list has been added to his GR55 MIDI add-on. See below
Looks pretty cool

Hi Paul,
A lot happened sins the last conversation. As I remember, you wanted a new function to the GR55 add-on.
Well, your wish has come true. The new add-on has full Exp-pedal + toe switch control!
The other new functions:

1 GR55 auto start-up at power on

2 Midi channel select  12 to 16

The digital potentiometer is used to control the exp-pedal.  You can switch between manual (foot) and digital control.
You can control the add-on/GR55 by anything that can sent a simple midi CC command like an iPad app, a midi sequencer, or a midi foot pedal.
If you are still interested, just let me know by mail.
For now, the cost of the new add-on version 3.0 is the same as the version 2.0 and is €99,=.

Greetings from Holland,
Geer Assink

sixeight

This project kind of slipped right passed me. I was too busy with my own VController project at the time. Great work Geer.

Greeting from a fellow embedded-programming Dutchie.