Show us your oldest (and youngest) V-Guitar user!!!

Started by CodeSmart, May 30, 2015, 06:01:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumbo

Quote from: JolietJake on June 21, 2015, 10:16:43 AM
If I have a guitar with GK3 on it when I'm playing live, if there is any other guitarists in the crowd, they always ask "what's that thing on your guitar?". When I show them what I can do with it and the GR-55 they are usually astounded.
Not sure if this is down to Roland advertising, or maybe they are MORE astounded when they hear the price.

...same here..   ::)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Silas Lang

Quote from: mbenigni on June 19, 2015, 10:26:05 AM
I've got guitarist friends of all ages, and nearly all of them feel the same way.  (Hell, on some days I feel the same way LOL.)

In fact, in my experience, the older the guitar player, the more conservative. For every 1 that wants to explore new ground, there are 1000 convinced that there's nothing better than a Stratocaster into a Twin Reverb (or a Les Paul into a Marshall stack).

Btw, I'm 49, and, being a huge King Crimson aficionado, I started with gr-100, gr-300 and gr-700 (which I still own), but mainly use gr-55 and vg-99 these days.

JolietJake

Quote from: Silas Lang on June 22, 2015, 02:48:01 AM
For every 1 that wants to explore new ground, there are 1000 convinced that there's nothing better than a Stratocaster into a Twin Reverb (or a Les Paul into a Marshall stack).

True, and I'm probably one of them. The reason I got the GR-55 was the ability to give me a Strat, Tele, Les paul, Acoustic etc into just about any amp you care to try. The altered tunings, PCM sounds and everything else it can do is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned.

Silas Lang

To me it's exactly the opposite: I want the possibility of sculpting my sound the same way a keyboard player (or an electronic artist) can but using the instrument I learned to play (guitar). At the same time I'm not interested in playing piano, flute or bagpipe with the guitar, but in new textures and paths.

JolietJake

Quote from: Silas Lang on June 22, 2015, 05:23:33 AM
To me it's exactly the opposite: I want the possibility of sculpting my sound the same way a keyboard player (or an electronic artist) can but using the instrument I learned to play (guitar). At the same time I'm not interested in playing piano, flute or bagpipe with the guitar, but in new textures and paths.

Fair enough. Thankfully not everyone is the same. I guess the GR-55 wouldn't be much good to you. The GP-10 or more likely the SY-300 sounds like the machine for you.

Silas Lang

I respecfully disagree with anybody who thinks the gr-55 is not a tool for new textures. Combining two different pcm tones, each one with its own VCF, VCA and LFO, and adding effects to them opens a lot of possibilities.

Maybe I'll get a gp-10 in the future only for its OSC mode. The lack of 5-pin midi has put me off until today. And for the SY-300, I'm in the "wait and see" phase.

And of course you're right: in the diversitiy lies the richness.

Headless68

Saw this & it reminded me about this thread :-)

Autana

I will to worry when someone ask like this:
(the little 4y/o kid) : "Daddy, what is the foot you say grandpa has in the grave?  look as he have two legs yet"  ;D

I am 57, mom say.   My primary school fellows become depressed when we encounter by chance on the street, when they ask me "what is the secret for you looking so young???"   I told them: the big secret is that strange guitar I have in hand (picture below) it radiates powerful antiaging waves digitally sampled in Shangri-La (Roland Province), since I have it, wrinkles disappear from body and heart.
"Ohhh mate!! please I want it, how much?"
- sorry its not for sale,  I could turn into ashes instantly!! -

BTW, "CIRCA" photo date: April 1985
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Mauri60

Hi "guys"  ;D
I'm actually 56 and my first guitar syn was a GR1, in 1992 , sometimes i use it again in my little studio.
Now I'm a Gr55 user, and for me is quite a Swiss knife, despite some things I do not like , I am very satisfied . The first years with Gr1 I heard everything, but then people have changed their minds , and finally saw that the virtual instruments are a compendium of personal musical creativity and not merely a substitute for this or that instrument . Now with the possibilities that gives me the GR55 , I can still indulge more by combining sounds and layers to my liking . There are several things I do not like the GR55 me , especially at level of usability , but I think it is a good playmate !
I am totally admired and amazed how the electronics applied to music has grown over the past 20 years, and am curious to see where he can get . From the first midi sequencer , via expander then the virtual  instrumenting revolution.
for everyone here i wish good tunes and notes, for many,many years ahead!
mauri
Nothing is impossible,if someone else will do for you.

imerkat

Where has this thread been! I was in my twenties when I joined, I'm 31 now. I started with the GR-20. Back in the day, it was one of the first videos that pop up when you typed "Synth Guitar" on this little site you might know call Youtube.

After so many years having a love-hate relationship with divided pickups I think the SY-300 is a step in the right direction for future vguitar users. hopefully we'll see the median change below my current age, who knows  ;)

whippinpost91850

Ah you're just a kid! I agree I'm 65 and use my GR55 live almost every weekend

Silas Lang

old age isn't so bad when you consider the alternative

-Maurice Chevalier

;)

gumbo

I find that music obviously has the reverse effect on ageing..
...as I grow older, I am in fact getting taller..

I know this because I can see my head gradually poking further out of the top of my hair.....
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

whippinpost91850

dsmmrm

me: Hi, my names Dave and I am a G.A.S.oholic.
VG forum all together: Hi Dave.

My first real guitar turns 47 this year. A Les Paul Deluxe. I'm 54 and I still have it and an embarrassing number of others and too many amps as well. I was lucky enough to marry the singer in one of the bands I was in back in the 80's so she is not as adverse to the addiction as some might be. We still play together in the current band.

I have been into pretty much everything that has come down the path at some point. I still manage to listen with my ears and ignore the extraneous noise from the purists and gear snobs that surrounds any new technology. If it sounds good then I will use it.

My current gig rig is a Godin XTSA with the electric pups into a TC Electronic g-system in 4CM mode to a Blackstar HT40 or a Marshall DSL half stack depending on the venue. the 13 pin is to a GR55 direct to the PA, the piezo pups go to a TC Helicon Voicelive 3 then to the PA. The core of my electric tone is analog pedals in the loops of the g-system and tubes. Most of the rest is 1s and 0s. Whatever works.

I will add that with my current rig I am an experienced combat veteran of the ground loop wars.

whippinpost91850