VG-99 Patch Print Utilites

Started by Phaze, February 01, 2008, 07:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phaze

Hi all.  I'm really enjoying my VG-99. Is there any way to print out a list of all of the patches stored in my VG-99 and their location?  It's getting a bit confusing when I start moving them around.  Thanks for your help and/or suggestions!

feloniouspunk

Are you using Librarian?  Once you have "READ" all of your user patches you should be able to select all and copy and paste onto Word or your text editor of choice.  Is that what you wanted to do?
Lots of Gear. :)

Elantric

feloniouspunk

I dont think copy/paste is working like I thought it would.  What type of computer are you using?  Now that I think about it this was addressed a while ago at the yahoo user group.  I will go back and look around.  Stay tuned.

Elantric

I think we were using "shift + print screen" paste into Wordpad, then Print.

feloniouspunk

Yup, thats what I just read.  I guess its the only way to do it.   >:(

Elantric

Any programmers out there?

I would pay for a decent VG-99 librarian, the one we got now seems written by a first year SQL student who doesn't play guitar, and never had access to the Editor or the VG-99- which probably is the case.

feloniouspunk

well, I am a second year Java student. I havent really learned any other languages yet, but I am sure it can be done in Java.  Let me take this to one of my professors and see what we can brainstorm.  Might be worth extra credit!  ;D  What kind of features would you like to see?  This could be fun and maybe I can get roland to license it. 

Phaze

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, I was aware of the screen print method.  But I was hoping for something a bit more sophisticated where I could export/copy from librarian and then import/display in MS-Word or MS-Excel.

Back when I had a Line 6 POD XT Pro there was a slick interface that someone built to export the patched list from the POD editor and then display the list in MS-Excel.  Built in Visual Basic as I recall.

I'm obviously using a PC instead of a MAC.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Elantric

I like the Line6 Paradigm.

Download Line6 Edit - clone that interface as much as possible.

I'd like to see

* Export to XML

* Import to XML

* Drag & Drop re sorting of patches

* double click to open patch in the VG-99 Editor

* a no -brainer backup - restore function

fredo

I have developped a similar tool for the GT-8 a while ago : http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=134529
Once we'll have the MIDI implementation document for the 99, I could modify Geeboss to work with it...

feloniouspunk

What language was Geeboss written in?

fredo

It's written in Java so it's cross paltform.
It can run on both Windows and Mac.

Elantric

Roland US was very non commital as to when a full VG-99 MIDI Spec would be published.

I attached the VG-88 MIDI spec, as I feel many aspects of the VG-99's MIDI spec will be similar.

It would be valuable to have the GT-Pro MIDI spec too, or the GT-8!

Searching the web  I can only locate the VG-88's - as the closest doc to digest until we get our hands on the real VG-99 MIDI spec.

fredo

The GT-8 I have, it's also available on bossgtcentral forum : http://www.bossgtcentral.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=338
I'm surprised the 99's document is not available yet : back when the GT-8 was launched, Neil Tomlison, from Roland UK, could provide me with the document right after it was out....

Elantric

We'd all appreciate if you have ANY leads on the VG-99 MIDI implementation.

Lets ask Neil Tomlison, from Roland UK.

As I said, Roland US indicated Roland Japan had not released it yet. Could be for a few reasons:

* It reveals too many hooks to features not implemented in the current editor - because they are buggy (auto riffer,Nylon noise suppressor)

* There is a future firmware release which adds so many new exciting features, which would nullify the existing MIDI implementation.

fredo

You can try and email Neal (neal.tomlinson AT roland.co.uk) , but I did not get no answer to my previous mail about a month ago...

Elantric

FWIW - Another GT-Pro  Librarian  - seems to be the basis for the VG-99 Librarian

http://www.rolandmusik.de/ftp/pub/downloads/sounds-der-helden/GT_librarian.zip

feloniouspunk

Sustainiac, are you being facetious with your second reason, or is it really possible we have many new exciting features coming our way?

Elantric

No release date

no details

Elantric

But Roland will very likely follow past behavior. (VG-8 S1, VG-88 V2)

I figure winter NAMM 2009

if we are lucky perhaps this summer

Spoke to Roland - those features did not make the final cut for the VG-99 firmware

fredo

Quote from: sustainiac on February 02, 2008, 11:25:00 AM
FWIW - Another GT-Pro  Librarian  - seems to be the basis for the VG-99 Librarian

http://www.rolandmusik.de/ftp/pub/downloads/sounds-der-helden/GT_librarian.zip
Absolutely : Roland / Boss always use the same communication protocol for their units. The GT-8 / GT-PRO librarian is exactly the same as the 99's.

From what I remember from my GT-8 prgramming time, the Midi communication frame looks like this :
F0h (SysEx)
41h (Manufacturer ID = Roland)
xxh (Devide ID = 00-1F in case you have several devices on your MIDI network)
xxh (Model ID MSB : 00h for GT-8)
xxh (Model ID LSB : 06h for GT-8)
xxh (Comand ID : can be RQ1 for request data from the unit or DT1 to send data to the unit)
Then you have the address bytes and data bytes, a checksum and finally an End Of File marker.

Basicly the librarian performs RQ1 commands to read patches from the unit and DT1 commands to send patches to the unit.
The only difference between the GT-8, GT-PRO or VG-99 librarians should be the value of the Model ID and the length and address of the patches.

Elantric

fredo

Sustainiac, where did you get the images of the Lespaul and the Phrase Editor Panel ?
I can only find the Gretsh in my Editor's script dir...
The Phrase Editor could be a remain of the GT-Pro editor, but the unreleaed guitar bodies deffinitely are a good sign ;-)

fredo

Yes midi dumps are a good start point to reverse engineer the midi implementation.
We coud also use MIDI-OX to analyse the communication bettween the 99 and the Librarian or Editor.
http://www.midiox.com/