VG-99 - Electric Birds

Started by alexbird, July 07, 2008, 12:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alexbird

Just for fun  ;D
No matter what you play, birds are everywhere!

vanceg

Nice sound!  I look forward to getting home and trying this one out to see what you have done.  Keep up the "odd sounds" creation!

Vance

feloniouspunk

Hey, whats that funny smell?    ;D
Lots of Gear. :)

RushFan

wow you are kidding me! This unit continues to surprise me. And I'm at a loss as to even figure out how this patch works. No FX. No amp even

sixeight

OK Alexbird, I'm at a loss too. Would you be so kind to let us in on how you built this patch.

alexbird

Thanks for responses!

All secrets hides under the Control Assign button:

Ribbon Filter
Resonance set to maximum. Now, when scratch you finger along the ribbon controller, you produce very high, thin sounds.
Tapping at the top of ribbon make one bird in the forest ;)

Control Assignment
Three control Assign (#1-3) that emulate chaotic movement of "fingers" on ribbon.
Actually, its LFO (wave pedal as a source) that control cutoff frequency of LPF (Ribbon Filter -> Control).
Each LFO has its own settings - rate and interaval for modulation.
For these needs would be nice if VG-99 has any source of random signal, "Noise" as wave form for Wave Pedal, for example.
It hasn't, so i use three wave pedal assignment.
Assign#4 just switch on filter when you touch the strings. Input level as trigger.

I'm very impressed by Control Assign feature of VG-99. It's one of the powerfull tools of this unit! 
In audio example, i'm switch on/off Assign #1-3 to bring more life. I do it manually on VG-99's panel.

Explore and create!

sixeight

Found it. Nice one. One small improvement. If you change the RANGE HIGH of Assign 4 into 1, the natural guitar sound disappears completely.

RushFan

Very interesting! I don't think I would have thought of trying something like that.
Hmm...now let's see you do "Several Species of Small Fury Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict." :p
I've actually had a bit of fun just plugging a microphone into the guitar input on the VG-99. It didn't take long to come up with something that sounds identical to the Dalek voice as well as a Borg. I could post those if there's any interest, though they aren't technically for guitar and are easy enough to figure out.

vanceg

I listened to the MP3. I really love the sound.  However, I downloaded it, loaded it into the VG-99 and I cant get any sound out of it at all.  I've looked at all of the gain settings I can find and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is up. Sometimes patches to load strangely into my VG-99 (incomplete) but that doesn't seem to be the case here. 

Has anyone else had any oddness with this patch or does anyone have a suggestion (given the very limited amount of information you have been given!).

I'd really like to use this one!

Vance

Brent Flash

Quote from: vanceg on July 11, 2008, 11:10:16 AM
I listened to the MP3. I really love the sound.  However, I downloaded it, loaded it into the VG-99 and I cant get any sound out of it at all.  I've looked at all of the gain settings I can find and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is up. Sometimes patches to load strangely into my VG-99 (incomplete) but that doesn't seem to be the case here. 

Has anyone else had any oddness with this patch or does anyone have a suggestion (given the very limited amount of information you have been given!).

I'd really like to use this one!

Vance
It loads right into my system and starts chirping away. Make sure your other patches are sounding before you load it. Sounds like something in the way you have your system set up. ???

alexbird

vanceg,
Assign#4 use input level as trigger for activating filter. May be in your system it's not enough  ???
Try turn off Assign#4 and press filter button at ribbon controller - must be heard clear guitar sound.
If not - than problem with your VG's out...

vanceg

Quote from: Brent Flash on July 11, 2008, 11:42:50 AM
It loads right into my system and starts chirping away. Make sure your other patches are sounding before you load it. Sounds like something in the way you have your system set up. ???

Yes, all others are sounding. Note that I need to load most of your patches 3 or 4 times before they come up right on my unit.  After that, they are perfect.

Vance

vanceg

Quote from: alexbird on July 11, 2008, 12:11:42 PM
vanceg,
Assign#4 use input level as trigger for activating filter. May be in your system it's not enough  ???
Try turn off Assign#4 and press filter button at ribbon controller - must be heard clear guitar sound.
If not - than problem with your VG's out...

I will try turning off assign #4.  By the way All the other patches are loading and I can hear them fine..  And I do see input level on the per-string-input meters on the VG-99. They are the same as they are for any patch.  It may be that the digital output is somehow disabled when I load your patch, and I only use the digital out so that might be the problem.

Vance

Brent Flash

Quote from: vanceg on July 11, 2008, 01:18:00 PM
Yes, all others are sounding. Note that I need to load most of your patches 3 or 4 times before they come up right on my unit.  After that, they are perfect.

Vance

That is very strange that they would work after you load them 3 or 4 times. What would change after the 3rd or 4th attempt that didn't happen the first time??

Very strange!

The only thing that I think could be happening is the SYSTEM OUTPUT may be different in your setup. I have no problems with any patches I load in from any source.

I see in your other post you are using the digital out. In your SYSTEM OUTPUT pane, is the DIGITAL OUT set to "from MAIN OUT"?

And, is the OUTPUT MODE set to SYSTEM?

And, is the MAIN OUT set to "from MIXER"?

And, (this is the last one ;)) is the SUB OUT set to "from MIXER"?

vanceg

The outputs are configured correctly.  The Digital out is tapped from the Main Out which is Mixer Out.

The reason a device might load a patch properly one time and improperly another would likely be faulty memory, or something interrupting the power supply which would interrupt the data transfer, or one of several other similar reasons. The VG-99 might well run the pieces of code it was able to properly receive from the computer, even though it didn't receive all of the patch data correctly.
It's a hypothesis. Based on a little knowledge. And we all know how dangerous that can be.

The problem doesn't manifest very often.
I'll keep my eyes on it.

But the good news is that the patch is working now.
It has since I reset my entire system configuration from my backup.
I suspect that one of the patches I opened had system information that set my outputs oddly. likely tapping the digital from the a COSM guitar or something....

All set now.

Beautiful patch. Thanks.

Vance

Brent Flash

Quote from: vanceg on July 12, 2008, 01:29:34 AM
The outputs are configured correctly.  The Digital out is tapped from the Main Out which is Mixer Out.

The reason a device might load a patch properly one time and improperly another would likely be faulty memory, or something interrupting the power supply which would interrupt the data transfer, or one of several other similar reasons. The VG-99 might well run the pieces of code it was able to properly receive from the computer, even though it didn't receive all of the patch data correctly.
It's a hypothesis. Based on a little knowledge. And we all know how dangerous that can be.

The problem doesn't manifest very often.
I'll keep my eyes on it.
Vance, I am glad you got it worked out. I think if that were happening to me it would all be going in for repair. Hopefully it was a preset that had the system in it that messed it up and not a hardware problem. Keep us posted if it starts again. You know I don't think I have heard of any real hardware failures yet on these systems. Maybe I have not been listening in the right places but from what I am hearing not too many failures. Knock on wood. :-X

vanceg

Quote from: Brent Flash on July 12, 2008, 08:34:26 AM
Vance, I am glad you got it worked out. I think if that were happening to me it would all be going in for repair. Hopefully it was a preset that had the system in it that messed it up and not a hardware problem. Keep us posted if it starts again. You know I don't think I have heard of any real hardware failures yet on these systems. Maybe I have not been listening in the right places but from what I am hearing not too many failures. Knock on wood. :-X

Neither have I heard of hardware failures.  I'm not too worried at all - I've been watching the VG-99 very closely since (quite literally) the moment it was announced in the US and the number of major failures I've heard of are nearly zero and that's pretty great.

Vance

Kostas Greece

Fender American Lone Star Strat (HSS+floyd rose), Roland VG-99, FC-300, Roland GR-20