GR-55 - judas priest turbo album

Started by rob147, July 24, 2014, 04:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob147

m looking for tones from turbo lover and out in the cold.

rob147

thanks for the reply I appreciate it, with all do respect that doesn't help much. there isn't much info on the patches for the gr-700

kilmanagh

When the Turbo album first came out, I totally LOVED the sounds in Turbo Lover and Out in the Cold. Despite the criticism of the album, I thought it was ground breaking.  A few years ago, I decided to use the internet to research on what KK used to make those sounds. When I found out the synth model was well out of production, sources led me to the GR-55. Now that I have it, I would love to reproduce the sound.
It looks like this patch will be in demand. I would like to get something close to this to attempt to fine tune.
Really glad I found this Board, there are a lot of great resources here!

rob147

Sadly for this sound I literally broke down and bought a 1984 roland GR-700. I'm still going to try and replicate it on the GR-55 tho. It's hard cause the GR-700 had 2 dco's an envelope pitch follower too. It's a big 26 pound metal beast.

kilmanagh

Has anyone figured out a patch for this yet? One of the reasons I bought the GR-55 was to attempt to replicate the Turbo Album sound. I know they used an older model but I am sure the 55 can replicate it.

gumtown

Can you name a specific song off the album you would like a GR-55 tone to replicate (probably track 1 - turbo lover), and I will see if I can come up with something.
Are you looking at covering all guitar and synth at once in a patch?
or just the synth parts ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: kilmanagh on July 07, 2022, 06:54:59 PMHas anyone figured out a patch for this yet? One of the reasons I bought the GR-55 was to attempt to replicate the Turbo Album sound. I know they used an older model but I am sure the 55 can replicate it.

The Original employed the JX-3P based GR-700,

gumtown

Here is an attempt at it, not exact, but I think you could get away with it.
Its the nearest the GR-55 can get.
Started off using the GR-700 PCM tone in the GR-55, but it was just a static image without character to it.
Then used another PCM synth tone which sounded closer/better.
Actually using two of the same PCM tones each panned away from center.

The EXP pedal is assigned to control
EXP Toe down = PCM tones only for the intro
EXP Toe slightly up engages the MFX Slicer effect,
toe up more starts mixing more modelled guitar (LP & Boss Drive Amp)
toe up even more starts reducing the PCM tones levels until they fade out until Heel down is guitar only.
CTL pedal toggles the preamp gain from MED to HIGH.
There is a little Reverb/Delay/Chorus mixed in and the rates are linked to the Master TEMPO as is the Slicer effect, so the Master Tempo may need to be adjusted to the tempo the song is played at.

Patch is attached below for download.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/