VG-99 - Help with downloading drivers from Japan site?

Started by Gatormike, February 14, 2008, 10:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gatormike

Elantric or others:

This is day number two for me with my VG-99 (I have not even hooked up the FC-300 yet).  I am a little confused about the drivers for Mac.  I have a G5 Quad Power PC and appear to have downloaded and installed the driver from the Roland US site (Version 1.00).  I know you've indicated in the "What you need to know" topic that Version 1.01 is available on the Roland Japan site.  Naive question: is it just like downloading from the U.S. site?  When I pull up that Japan site it is obviously in Japanese.  Just a little reluctant and need some guidance please on how to proceed.  Finally, do I have the latest driver or do I need to download the one from the Japan site (I seem to recall some confusion on another thread that the US site was the latest driver, but just mislabeled)?  Thanks  Mike

Gatormike

Thanks, but the link downloads Version 1.00 from the UK site.  Perhaps the only version 1.01 is on the Japan site only?  I'll go try to did around on the UK site for 1.01.  Mike

Elantric

After installation,The version will be stated in the VG-99 Audio Driver info panel

The Japanese drivers are the ones I trust to be the latest.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=47.0;attach=12

What OS are you running?
About this driver
This is a driver for using the Roland VG-99 on Mac OS X.
Features
Compatible with Apple's standards of CoreAudio and CoreMIDI Universal Binary Driver (This driver can work on both Intel and PowerPC processors.) Single/Multi processor support Can customize driver buffer size and managing precise recording and playback latencies
System requirements
This driver has the following requirements.
* Please also check the system requirements for the audio/MIDI application and the operating system you're using.
Operating System
Mac OS X v10.3.9 or later
* This will not operate in the Classic environment of Mac OS X. When using this, the Classic environment must not be running simultaneously.
Computer
Apple Macintosh series computer with on-board USB
CPU/Clock
Intel processor
or
PowerPC G4 / 800MHz or faster

jon_bondy

I just got my VG-99 today, and it is a 1.03, so I need to do an update.  Some of the links I found in the Forum pointed to pages that were PURE Japanese: I have no idea what you expected me to be able to do from that page.  Would it be possible to download some of those files and attach them to messages in the Forum?  That we we all would know that we were getting the right files.  I have more confidence downloading something from here than from Japan.

:)

Jon

Elantric

The post typically have attached files for download  - you must be logged here to see them

What are you having trouble with?

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14.msg21#msg21

jon_bondy

Jeeze, Steve: you're everywhere all of the time!  Amazing!

I was reading the Update Instructions PDF, which had a URL there, in the document.  I tried to go there, and got Japanese.

I downloaded the V104 ZIP file from the page you indicated: it seems to have the MIDI files for both the 101/102 conversion and the 103 conversion.  This is very convenient, but confusing: why point people to two different places if they only have to go to one?  I know that things are progressing quickly, and that there is some duplication in the messages.

I'm not sure whether I need new USB drivers, and if so, where I would find them.

Right now I have the SMFPlayer, the VG-99 V104  ZIP, and the Editor/Librarian 101 ZIP.  Maybe the USB drivers are in there: I'm not sure.

Thanks for all of your help!

Jon

Elantric

jon_bondy

jon_bondy

BTW, I have installed the USB drivers that came with the VG-99 (from the CD) and they seem to be working OK: any reason I should not "trust" them?

Jon

Gatormike

I went to this site below, which incorrectly states that it is Driver Ver 2.2.2 for Mac (when it is really version 1.01).  Thanks for the help as I now appear to be all set (until I start updating the FC-300  :o) .  Thanks for the help
http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?ln=en&dsp=0&iCncd=2179

Elantric

>I went to this site below, which incorrectly states that it is Driver Ver 2.2.2 for Mac (when it is really version 1.01).

Its a known Typo on the Roland site.

Latest versions of everything are stated here:
http://www.roland.co.jp/GK/download.html

Elantric

Quote>BTW, I have installed the USB drivers that came with the VG-99 (from the CD) and they seem to be working OK: any reason I should not "trust" them?

I would remove them and follow the information here:
Topic: VG-99 - Top things to know
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

* VG-99 ships with CD-ROM containing stale drivers and older VG-99 Editor / Librarian version 1.00
* Latest VG-99 Editor / Librarian Version 1.01 is required to share patches.