GR-55 - Keith Richards Open G Tuning

Started by Baldeagle, June 29, 2013, 11:15:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baldeagle

Just got to say, the patch on the GR-55 'Stolling Rones'-is so close to Keith's sound, even down to the bottom E being silenced, is so damned authentic, a very addictive patch- when is switch-on my GR-55, that's my default setting to warm-up on.
You don't know what you've got, till it's gone"- Joni Mitchell

papabuss

One of my favourites, too. Sounds fantastic from Brown Sugar till Start me up..
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

FWIW that "Richards" / Stolling Rones  patch when it works is supposed to mute the low E string and deliver a "5 string" COSM Tele guitar tuned to open G.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/george-rajna/the-five-string-addict-a-_b_4172201.html
QuoteKeith Richards' contribution and historical importance as a guitarist and songwriter cannot be overestimated. Life details Keith's love of music, his guitar playing style and chord construction techniques. More specifically Life delves into how Keith attains his unique signature sound and more importantly describes how his desire to imitate banjos from the old American south led him to remove the low "E" string and tune his guitar to an open "G."

As a guitarist, retuning the instrument creates a discovery world since structured chords and scales are no longer applicable. This tuning was used to create archetypal Stones classics. Keith stated, "With the five-string it was just like turning a page; there's another story. And I'm still exploring. With five strings you can be sparse; that's your frame, that's what you work on. 'Start Me Up,' 'Can't You Hear Me Knocking,' 'Honky Tonk Women,' all leave gaps between the chords."

Guitarists who cover Rolling Stones songs with a standard tuning know something's wrong, that an element is amiss. Altering to Keith's open "G" tuning makes songs such "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" simple to play. To tune the guitar like Keith, remove the low "E" string and tune the 5th string from "A" to "G" and the high "E" string to "D," permitting the fifth tone to ring through, creating Keith's inimitable sound.