GR-55 - Another controller/assign question

Started by drone01, June 17, 2011, 07:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drone01

I am slowly beginning to understand the differences between the pedal controls and the assign tabs.  Just to make sure I understand correctly, I cannot set up the control pedal to switch on the solo setting for a patch, and then have an assign tab be controlled by the control pedal also.  It is either one or the other, correct?  Does one override the other?  I am trying to get a generic patch that is a distorted rhythm, with a control for a solo setting, and then also be able to go to a clean setting.  To top it off, I'd like to be able to add wah, if possible.  If I can do all that on a single patch, then I should be able to figure anything (lol) out on this.  Any thoughts, suggestions?

Jim Williams

you can have the exp pedal do 2 different things. one with the exp switch on and another with it off. So you can assign the solo switch to the pedal and when you press the pedal switch it becomes a wah. now as far as changing from a clean and distorted sound, you can't change amp models. You can have your normal pickup go through your MFX amp sims and your COSM guitar model through the AMP and MOD blocks and have your CTL pedal switch between them. Here is an example patch. Remember keep your Gk selector switch in the middle.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

gumtown

It can use both/all at the same time.
What i do is use the Pedal function control only to switch the pedal LED, and use the assigns for the controling.

*GR-55 Control Assignments
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3868.0
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

drone01

So, what exactly is the purpose of simply switching the LED on and off?

gumtown

Quote from: drone01 on June 17, 2011, 09:22:42 PM
So, what exactly is the purpose of simply switching the LED on and off?
So you can tell if an effect or parameter change is engaged, many settings and parameters used with the Assigns won't automatically enable the Pedal's LED, and depending on if the Assigned effect is going to be switched momentarily or toggled, the LED state needs to follow too.
I do that if i need more than one function performed by the CTL pedal.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

drone01

Thanks for the tips guys.  I appreciate the help.  So, when you set your control pedal for the led to be on, does that mean you have to hit the control pedal and then hit your other assignments, or does it come one automatically?

Jim Williams

the led function will indicate the on off state to whatever you assign to the CTL pedal.

--

Read details on Control assigns in
GR-55 FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137

drone01

I've been attempting to tweak the example patch that was posted on this thread.  I'm having some success, however, when I make a change to the amp type in the MFX, it does not save it for some reason.  It shows it as saved, but if I hit the control switch on and off, then it will not pull it back up, even though it is showing the correct setting. Any thoughts as to why I'm having this issue?

Jim Williams

If you would like you can put up or Email me a patch and let me know what kind of control assigns you want. I will make the changes and explain what I did and you can learn from it. I know the GR-55 is a huge learning curve and some users have trouble with the deep editing. There are lots of threads to help with this stuff. one thing is the experiences of the people on this forum is way more information than you will find in the manual however reading the manual is important, It will help you understand the GR-55. The GR-55 is not like anything elce Roland has made to date and editing is not like any of it's predecessors.

drone01

Here is the patch in question.  I am trying to save the MFX setting as a Match Drive.  All the settings are saving, just when I switch controls during playing, it is not playing what is saved.  Thanks for the advice.  I try to keep up with all the posts on here, and have read the manual, but some of it might as well be in Chinese.....(I think it may actually be...).  I have already downloaded the pdf file that was posted today, I believe.  By the way, this is my first Roland guitar synth.....

Jim Williams

Hey Drone, I took a look at your patch and think I may have fixed the problem. The only thing I found was the assign to turn on the MFX amp. It was unnecessary and the MFX stays on and when you engage the CTL (Tone switch Normal guitar to COSM guitar)switch it switches paths anyway. If you don't send a signal to a effects block it doesn't matter if it's on or off. in the case of this patch the fewer assigns the better. I couldn't see how you could be loosing your MFX settings though. but try this fixed patch and let me know how it works. Remember not to conflict your assigns with your PDL/GK section. I think that Roland could have left out the PDL/GK section and just made one assign section with 16 assign tabs, that would be simpler. ;D
So give this patch a try.

drone01

That is it!!  Thank you very much.  That is exactly where my confusion lies.  I know previously it had been recommended to use the control switch just for the led toggle, but I'm still not wrapping my head around that.  Your explanation has helped a lot and now I think that I may be able to correct some other patches that are having issues....I guess if this was simple, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun to discover all the stuff this thing can do.