Battery operated GR55

Started by Marin, December 01, 2016, 04:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marin

Hello to everyone!

I've registered recently on this forum because I've bought GR55.
First of all, I want to thank to all of you who have contributed to this forum because there are a lot of usefull informations here!
But, I haven't found information about one topic that is very important to me. Since I plan to use GR55 in places where there is no electricity available, I'm looking for the best solution to power it with batteries or something similar.

Please consider that I live in Europe, therefore I prefer ordering equipment from Europe or Asia. Buying from USA is usually not an option because shipping costs, local customs, VAT etc. make things too expensive.

Thank you!

Elantric

Marin

Ok, I've decided to build my own battery power supply for GR55.
Right now I'm in process of testing different solutions. I will post results here, I guess it could be of help to someone.
But first, I would need advice for someone who is into electronics.

What voltage am I allowed to feed into GR55 to still be certain that it won't cause any problems to the unit? Is for instance 10V also acceptable?
This information is quite important for my setup, so if someone who is really well informed can answer me, that would be very nice! :-)

Elantric

9.1v DC max

but why build

I like the Poweradd Pilot Pro. 32,000mAh

Details on using it here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10662.0

Marin

Yes, I saw your thread where you describe Poweradd Pilot Pro.
I agree, it's very nice and I'm sure it works fine, but I find it too expensive for my needs.
Since I'm able to make something that gives me enough battery power to play for more than six hours, and for less than 20% price of the Poweradd Pilot Pro, the choice was very easy for me which option to choose.

Back to voltage :-)
Are you sure about that 9.1V? I've tested original Roland power supply that I got with GR55 and it outputs exactly 9.3V.

Also, just for curiosity sake (because I haven't seen that information in the thread about Poweradd Pilot Pro), how much time were you able to use GR55 with Pilot Pro on one charge?

CodeSmart

The voltage regulators inside can take a range of volts. None of the GR-55 voltage regulators pops below 25V. So I guess anything between 8.5-25V COULD work, however gut feeling says I would never like to exceed 12V as there might be some voltage protection I couldn't see at a quick glance. Also MOSFET stuff is there for power/on off and oscillator to get negative volts ( -7V generation).

So 8.5-11.5V is a "feel good" range in my thinking...
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Marin

Quote from: CodeSmart on March 11, 2017, 02:02:54 AM
The voltage regulators inside can take a range of volts. None of the GR-55 voltage regulators pops below 25V. So I guess anything between 8.5-25V COULD work, however gut feeling says I would never like to exceed 12V as there might be some voltage protection I couldn't see at a quick glance. Also MOSFET stuff is there for power/on off and oscillator to get negative volts ( -7V generation).

So 8.5-11.5V is a "feel good" range in my thinking...

Excellent, thank you very much for your answer!  ;D
I'm going to test two battery-powered options for GR55 very soon, and I will post results here.