GR-55 - My cover tune patches.

Started by Toby Krebs, May 29, 2013, 06:47:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toby Krebs

Here are all my patches for cover tunes I am currently using. I thought they should go in "other" rather than breaking them all up because their are so many. I typically use almost all of these at a gig. Hope some of them work for you guys! Have Fun!

myksara

Thanks Toby!..will check those out soon..
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

whippinpost91850

Thanks Tony, looking forward to checking them out. thanks Paul

jwhitcomb3

Was this file made with the Floorboard or the Librarian? I can load them into my GR55 with the Floorboard, but they fail when I load them from the librarian (the name shows up on my GR55, but the patch parameter do not change).

So far I'm liking the sounds of the patches. I'm curious why many of them (HARD TO HANDLE, for example) have the magnetic pickups enabled, but with a much lower level than the COSM signal. Are you looking to switch between different gain levels for the COSM and magnetics? Or perhaps your magnetic pickups are very hot and you are trying to match the levels?

I like the NYLON GT patch a lot, but I had to dial back the tone level on the COSM, which was pegged.

Overall, some very well designed patches. Thanks for sharing!

Toby Krebs

You cannot create patches with the librarian. Most were made using Gumtowns floorboard. I like having the option of using the mag pickups on my guitars sometimes instead of the GR55s' COSM pickups. With my EMG guitars the levels between COSM and the "normal" pickups are balanced when set the way I have it. Using these patches is only a starting point or reference point for anyone else using them. The player will have to make sometimes radical adjustments for his or her own setup. I also vary my volume controls on the pickups using the GK pot and the normal pickup vol. pot. Many different stages of gain can be achieved this way and I can mimic "real" amp behavior using this technique. I also only play through FRFR/keyboard or PA for amps. I never play the GR55 through a regular guitar amp. These patches are really only useful to me for playing covers.When I go back into the studio Monday for a 6 hour session I will use Egnater/Marshall and Fender amps and a Line 6 M13 and individual pedals. Be aware that when trying a lot of the patches here on the forum a lot of them wont work for you without a lot of tweaking. Well worth the effort though and I guarantee you you will be pleased with the results. Remember to share a few of your own when you have created some.Glad to know some of them are helpful to a few folks on the forum.

jwhitcomb3

Hi Toby.

Thanks again for your patches. I have created hundreds of GR55 patches, and have posted about 100 of them on the board over the past two years (I think I posted the very first user patch in February 2011).

I know you can't create patches with the librarian. However, you can create patch files with either the librarian or the Floorboard editor. If you create the files with the Floorboard editor, the patches do not load correctly with the librarian. However, if you create the patches with the Floorboard editor, then load the patches into your GR55, then import them from the GR55 into the librarian, you can then create a patch file with the librarian that can be loaded with either the librarian or the Floorboard.

Regarding the levels, yes, some balancing needs to be done between setups. I have 4 guitars I use with my GR55, and each of them has different magnetic pickup output levels. I find using the system page to adust the overall level offset of the magnetic pickups lets me change guitars without having to monkey with the levels on individual patches, only changing the GK setup set when I switch guitars. Since your patches have the magnetic pickup levels so low, I assume you have very hot pickups (active, perhaps?). You might consider lowering the normal pickup gain level in your system setup so your patches will still be useful if you switch to a guitar with lower output pickups, since you can save 10 guitar setups on the GR55.

I set the System/GK Set/Norm PU Gain at -4dB to keep the levels in check for my MIM RR Strat. I use -6dB for my humbucker guitar. I'd guess even more attenuation would be appropriate for active pickups. My goal is to have the level controls of the normal, COSM, and PCM provide about the same output level when at the same setting, to make mixing more intuitive, and to avoid the dreaded gain stage clipping.

Toby Krebs

I don't change guitars at a gig I just call up a Tele patch etc..if I need it. Multiple guitars at a gig is something I want to avoid LOL! I notice lots of strange things happen when I download patches from the forum patch area so I just make what I need. I use EMG SA/SV and 85 pickups on most of my synth guitars and have no problems with how my normal pickups are set. They balance well and for some things I use them instead of the cosm pickups but never together. That way I can switch pickups if a tune calls for it which is a bit of a pain using the fixed cosm pickups in the GR55. I think for the most part the folks on this forum are looking for more esoteric tones/patches than what I use. I don't do any recording or anything very critical with the GR55. I use it only as a convenient gigging tool and probably wont explore recording or playing original music with it.I do however greatly enjoy listening to and appreciating all the players who do just that with the GR55/VG99. It's amazing to me.For my own amusement or when I want to play my own tunes/lead my own band I fire up my 82' JCM800 and my pedalboard and sometimes the GR33 with it. That's what I use when I want to sound like me and reflect my own personality and not someone elses. Some things we do for love and some things we do for money.The things we do for money need to be as easy as possible which is why I use things like the GR55! LOVE IT!

jwhitcomb3

Cool. I actually use my GR55 much like you do for basic guitar sounds rather than synthy stuff. I think the GR COSM acoustic guitar and amp sounds are excellent, but I like to mix in some PCM electric pianos and organs from time to time. Switching COSM pickups with assigns isn't ideal, but it is possible when needed. Still, I prefer to use my magnetic pickups over COSM electric guitar models in most situations (but still just through the COSM amps/effects). I do love the L4 COSM model though.

Thanks for clarifying how you use the patches. When I saw the normal pickup levels so low in your patches I was curious if you were blending COSM and normal pickup tones.

Yeah, 4 GR capable guitars is overkill, but I don't use them so much for different tones as for different capabilities. One hard tail solidbody with mini humbuckers (a sound sorely missing from the COSM family), one floating bridge solidbody, one Nashville tuned, and a hollow body strung with flatwounds. They also provide different guitar scale lengths and fingerboard radiuses for different styles of playing and genres of music. But at a gig, I like to keep it as simple as possible too.

Thanks again for sharing the patches. I'm having fun exploring them.

Toby Krebs

When I play a jazz gig doing standards and Herbie Hancock/Grover Washington/ Weather Report/ funky stuff I use a lot of PCM tones/Rhodes/Wurlitzer/Strings/B3/ more than the guitar tones. I use the Nylon tones a lot when I want to do a standard with a different sound instead of the L4/335 tones. I always have a string pad available when I am playing the Nylon tones. I may get out the GR33 for an upcoming gig and use a conventional guitar amp /pedal setup for a show I am doing July 5th with jazz saxaphonist Bobby Logan and his band. It all depends on what the client wants. My recording session last Monday required tube amps/pedals so that is what I used. When I played a concert with John "JR" Robinson in 2010 he asked for an all tube setup so I brought my 50 watt JCM800/1x12 cab and played everything from "Butterfly" by Herbie Hancock to "Moments Notice" by John Coltrane on it. I may be one of the only guitar players presently alive to have played" Moments Notice" using a Marshall except for Bill Frissell of course LOL! Have fun and thanks for posting the video of you playing music with your son. Love It!!!

grandmasterB

Thanks very much Tony.  I just purchased a GR-55 last month and it is my first foray into guitar synth.  Through this forum and YouTube, I've been able to program some pretty good patches, but it has been very time consuming.  Your patches will no doubt save me tons of time and it is very much appreciated.  When I get enough of my own unique tones, I'll share mine as well.

Toby Krebs

You are welcome grandmasterB. The whole idea of these patches is to save time when dealing with cover tunes.
I like to spend as little time as possible rehearsing -making tones and preparing for cover gigs. Leaves time for a lot of other things.
I hope they are helpful.

Peace,

T.C.

uriahsmusic

warnold

How do you load these patches?  I tried to load them via the Librarian but I get the same results as the first posting -- the names appear but the patches are the old ones.  I tried loading from USB via the Restore option but that takes a different file type and doesn't seem to prompt you to pick a file to restore.

Thanks

papabuss

Welcome to the forum, Warnold! :)
Use Gumtown's Floorboard editor.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

Around here hardly anybody uses the Roland GR-55 Librarian

Most use Gumtown's GR-55 Floorboard Editor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

read all  GR-55 Tips and tricks here:

GR-55 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

Fusion

Quote from: warnold on November 12, 2014, 12:03:49 PM
How do you load these patches?  I tried to load them via the Librarian but I get the same results as the first posting -- the names appear but the patches are the old ones.  I tried loading from USB via the Restore option but that takes a different file type and doesn't seem to prompt you to pick a file to restore.

Thanks

You use the Floorboard to open these patch files and it will opt to let you pick which one in a multi group. Make sure you have the slot selected where you want it and write it into that location.
The use of the Roland Librarian is useful for rearranging entire lists of presets and bank order via copy and insert functions. It does that where the Floorboard is a an edit tool.
Good advice to get some easy to use USB memory sticks and backup the GR settings fast and easy. I make sure I do that after every edit session. I do that in case I lose my PC in a crash with the Floorboard sys bkup files I save once in a while. The USE sticks are so useful. Plug that into a virgin GR and presto your entire memory setup. You can have several sets for entire bank memory change outs should you ever get to the point of running out of slots. Not likely in my case.

"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."