Selling England

Started by Bill Ruppert, April 20, 2013, 10:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

Just saw the full album is here.
Its BRILLIANT!!!!!!!
It shape me in every way when I first heard it.

shawnb

Take a little trip back with father Tiresias...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

germanicus

Cinema Show is some of the most melodic keyboardic keyboard playing i've ever heard. The last 4 minutes of that tune gives me goosebumps.

Classic album.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

aliensporebomb

A classic.  I listened to that Genesis stuff to death, particularly the live albums "Seconds Out" and later the live parts of "Three Sides Live" on the longer older material.  Even years later they released "The Way We Walk Volume II - The Longs" and there's a nice medley of the longer older material recorded and played well. 

Timbrally I was very influenced by the synth layering on these recordings.  I learned a lot about arranging pieces just listening and figuring out how those pieces were put together.  Steve Hackett is a huge influence on me - I have and still listen to a lot of his solo work. 

My giant Ikea bookcases are crammed with CDs - they're a history of of that kind of music.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

tekrytor

Horizons, Supper's Ready, Fifth of Firth.
All make me speechless. Amazing works.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

shawnb

ASB beat me to the punch bringing up "Seconds Out"...

I think I like those live versions best! 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

highlandsrock

Genesis Live - Watcher of the Skies - that mellotron at the beginning still gives me goosebumps. I'd like to know whose bright idea it was for them to perform on what appears to be a flooded stage!
Ibanez RG870 with GT3 internal kit +
GR-33, VG-99, GR-55, GP-10, SY-1000, Strymon Big Sky

arkieboy

Splendid album.  Banks and Hackett at their best.  Probably the best Genesis did - although I love Lamb, Wuthering and Trick. 

Well worthwhile going to catch Steve Hackett live if you get the chance.  He's lost little of that ability to make hairs stand to attention
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

aliensporebomb

Maybe four or five years ago I got to watch Steve Hackett play jaw dropping classical guitar from four feet away at a now-closed Borders bookstore in Downtown Minneapolis.  He was there promoting "To Watch the Storms" I believe and was doing a "playing classical guitar in bookstores and signing autographs" type event.

What a stunning player - I was always a fan but he's a fantastic player with a great affinity for classical guitar and a wonderful melodic electric player. 

I also love "Lamb", "Wuthering" and "Trick".  Great stuff. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

arkieboy

I saw him on his last tour before the latest revisiting genesis album.  Lately (I think) his keyboard player has been using '3 Violins' as the string sound for those albums rather than what sounds like 'mixed strings' (or possibly 3v tuned down a couple of tones to give that unearthly hollow sound Pinder used) on the original recordings.  IMHO 3 violins works much better with Taurus and gives more space for Steve's guitar.  Firth was spine chilling
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

KezzTCP

My love for Genesis covers all albums up to Wind & Wuthering - Lamb, Trick and Selling England being my faves.  As has been mentioned, seeing Steve Hackett live is the real deal.  He usually plays a couple of classics from that period - Los Endos being a killer to end his set with.  One of my biggest regrets is never having the chance to see that classic Gabriel led line up live - and there' very little quality film footage of that era either, more's the pity. 

On the GR 55 front, has anyone posted any good Hackett patches here?
Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time