DIY - PEDAL BOARD SUPPLIERS

Started by Elantric, February 01, 2012, 11:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quotethis almost looks like a 'built your own controller' kit with a crapload of options and possibilities.

Might review these DIY parts too

http://www.halemicro.com/Products/Products.html

]

And these are available today.

The UMC32+ series of controllers are cross platform compatible devices that support the USB-MIDI and USB-Serial protocols. The UMC acts as a bridge between your software and the outside world. Simply wire up your switches, sensors or relays to the UMC, plug it to your PC or MAC USB port and you are ready to read data from sensors or actuate a motor via a relay. A infinite number of applications are possible. Both MIDI and Serial versions feature 32 fully configurable I/Os and provide integrators the ability to rapidly prototype their ideas in hours, not weeks.

and the Adiuno is an option too:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3806.msg25679#msg25679

musicman65

Awesome. I am working on my next gen setup with a GR55 (or VG99) and a Kemper. I need a few MIDI buttons and researched some DIY options as well.

These guys make tiny embedded micro chips and kits that program in Basic, Java, and Assembly. Their users share code and MIDI routines are available. The java version called Propeller is an 8 core chip that is able to multitask as well as drive tons of video devices!

Not for the guy looking for instant results but interesting none the less...

http://www.parallax.com/

http://www.rossbencina.com/code/midipic

bd

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

musicman65

Gumbo....yes, great find there. $45 for the midi controller with tons of IO...me likes! I believe I can make a really cool button bar to go across the front of my GR55. I don't need a display since the GR55 has a nice one already to let me know what patch I'm on.

bd

gumbo

mm65..

...glad you found it interesting..I've been following that one for quite a while as I have a use for it myself (yet another project!!), but have had to put it on hold while other things take centre stage..

FWIW, they spent a LOT of time bringing it to market after considerable R&D and it looks like they got it pretty right in the end...  I would be very keen to hear how you may get on with it.

Cheers from Here,

P

musicman65

Yep. They really seem to have a grasp of what I'm looking for. My plan is to use rubber automotive brake pedal pads with switches underneath for a tidy durable floorboard. I also want a couple of rollers to adjust delay mix and other tweak-ables.

Thanks again for the tip!

bd

Elantric

I just ordered one each of these for research

http://store.highlyliquid.com/products/midi-cpu

http://store.highlyliquid.com/products/md24

Look to be very comprehensive and well supported by an active community too
http://forum.highlyliquid.com/

and a blog

http://highlyliquid.com/hl2012/blog

gumbo

Glad the lead will be of use to others..   ;D

..on the 'floorboard switch' thing, I have been playing around with installing moulded (tapered) rubber door wedges over the top of proprietory footswitches in order to achieve a more comfortable target ...  the ones I can buy from my local hardware chain in Oz (Bunnings, BTW) give me an angled rectangular footprint of about 1 inch by 4 inches, and provide an appearance and operation closer to the original footswitch assemblies on Roland / Boss products..

Perhaps it's an age thing  ::)  but I find this easier and more comfortable than a small chrome button, particularly on a stage...   I have, however, had to hollow out some of the rubber underneath (with a burr in a Dremel) to make the rubber flexible enough so that only minimal pressure is required to operate the actual switch underneath..

Recently being involved in moulding urethane components for another product that I am manufacturing, I am considering whether I take this idea further and add yet another  :o  product to the line.... 

Ah well....we'll see....

tekrytor

You guys got me on the liquid track. Ordering my control unit today. This will be a perfect addition for my GR-55, easily covering the eight assigns in multiple ways.
Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I just built a WIFI XBEE-to/from-MIDI adapter for around $50. It runs on 3.3-5.x VDC too. I'm thinking of putting a liquid controller with the XBEE<>MIDI adapter in a guitar with a few buttons and encoders or a ribbon or two, if I can find them. I'll keep you posted. Photos of the XBEE-MIDI adapter coming, ASAP. Gotta go to work now though.

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Elantric

QuoteYou guys got me on the liquid track. Ordering my control unit today. This will be a perfect addition for my GR-55, easily covering the eight assigns in multiple ways.
Thanks for the tip!

BTW, I just built a WIFI XBEE-to/from-MIDI adapter for around $50. It runs on 3.3-5.x VDC too. I'm thinking of putting a liquid controller with the XBEE<>MIDI adapter in a guitar with a few buttons and encoders or a ribbon or two, if I can find them. I'll keep you posted. Photos of the XBEE-MIDI adapter coming, ASAP. Gotta go to work now though.

Wow - sounds perfect!

Tekrytor -  Keep us posted on your progress with this !

gumtown

My interest has been aroused on this topic  :P
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

tekrytor

Pix, as promised. My homemade XBEE<>MIDI hardware. It users a micro USB adapter to program the XBEE and the MIDI connections and concept came from the first web page link below. The author used an FTBI (non USB) interface, but since I'm lazy, didn't want to have to build their special cable, have a half dozen mini USB cables for my Android and other stuff,....I went with USB. One cool thing about the XBEE is that it does not need to attach to a router, rather it can also attach to other XBEEs or wifi devices, like an iPad or Android device. Basically, I want the missing link, but smaller for integration into other hardware, not as an external box. I recommend the missing link for anyone just needing a wireless midi connection:
http://wifimidi.com/

BEFORE anyone runs off and spends money and time on this...THIS IS A PROTOTYPE CURRENTLY - IT's NOT WORKING YET!You're welcome and encouraged to jump in the water, but do so at your own risk. BUT, I'm confident it will work, pretty soon too. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

The first page (link below) is what got me to start this project, but I used the USB adapter instead of FTBI for several reasons. The instructions are also NOT complete - it looks like an experiment to me. They don't get into the wifi config either, which is where I'm at now. ALSO, I had to modify the MIDI connections to the adapter board part of the schematic to work with the USB adapter, which has a different pinout than the FTBI adapter shown on the page above. I'll post my revised schematic ASAP too. with an updated schematic again, once it all works correctly.

SOURCE IDEA (first link) and related links:
http://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/midibee.html
Here is the XBEE info:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/128
and the USB adapter is here:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/247

BTW, I ordered and had my parts within 4 or 5 days. The service and folks at adafruit are great!
I ordered my other small parts, resistors and chips, etc from Digikey and they were also excellent and fast.
I got my prototype board from Radio Shack and also the jumper wires. I originally trimmed the board to fit in an old print server box, but it will probably end up inside either my GR-55, an auxiliary pedalboard, or in a guitar. If it works as planned, maybe all three. I want to combine the XBEE with the highlyliquid CPU, for which I herewith nod to Elantric, and more info here:
http://store.highlyliquid.com/products/midi-cpu

These photos are of my prototype. I'm not through testing and setting up the wifi yet, but it's looking good so far. There may be a mistake in my wiring too. I've not yet transferred MIDI data, I'm still setting up the Wifi. But once I have a config, it can be shared with the group and anyone could make their own or tweak this design to their own needs. All will want to set up their wifi connection different than mine for secure communication.

HELP: If anyone out there has configured an XBEE before, using X-CTU, I might have a few questions.

I'll update this thread with my progress.

The whole assembly is less than 3"x3"x1" and the connectors could be dumped for some uses, like built into a guitar, making it even smaller. It runs on 5VDC. I'm powering it with an old mini USB phone charger for now. Easy. You could power it from the USB port on the GR-55, but that might void the warrantly (just FYI).

UPDATE BELOW...
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

musicman65

Sorry for the crappy sketch. Drawing on a tablet is a little shakey.

So, I'm doing the design work for my next gen rig with VG99 or GR55 and KPA. I need a floorboard that integrates into a shallow wedge shaped lid on a 19" rack of my design. The idea, like my current rig, is to walk in with a roadcase in one hand, guitar case in the other. In the bottom of the roadcase is a Kemper Profiling Amp, VG99, Rack Synth, and in the separable lid is the Floorboard.

This limits the floorboard to 19". My requirements are 2 Exp, 2 foot wheels for analog parameters, Bank Up/Down, Patch change x 5, Stomp toggles x 5, and 4 "other" switches.

The switches are staggered to save width space and use triangle rubber pads over switches. The foot wheels drive a pot by rolling them.

So, do y'all see any issues with this layout? Is 3" spacing enough between switches?

bd

tekrytor

Nice concept musicman65!
I really like the compactness of the triangular switches and the extra EXPs. The idea of puting it all in the rack lid is also great.

While.you're at it..
Some players wah left and some wah right. Most manufacturers produce right. I've always wished that pedalboards were reversible. Perhaps if designed for it from the beginning, it could work.
The nice thing about the highly liquid CPU is that you can make the switches/pots/encoders send almost any MIDI parameter, so users can configure then as they wish.

The only thing on your design I would change is to use rotary encoders instead of pots, or use both with switches to select the mode. Although encoders are quiet, they can "jump" if moved quickly, giving large gaps in the ranges, like large volume spikes. But they don't get dusty or wear out. My 2 cents.

tekrytor

UPDATE - 4/21/2012

After an hour chasing my tail, I figured out a few things.
0. The project I started on uses an XBEE 802.15.4. I thought it was WIFI (802.11-b/g/n), but I did not do my research, just jumped in based on the wireless MIDI descriptions in the source link, and found out otherwise when I went to test.
1. The XBEE 802.15.4, it turns out, is not 802.11 (Wifi) compatible. Sorry if I mislead anyone on this, I didn't get it myself until I noticed no 802.11 configuration options on the X-CTU tool used to edit the XBEE configuration.
2. The XBEE 802.15.4 is designed to allow devices to wireless communicate with each other in various ways, such as transmitting and receiving serial or audio data over a secure network connection that is a lot like wifi but is not directly compatible with wifi.
3. My hw pictured here will not connect to a wifi network, only to another XBEE.
4. It should transmit and receiver MIDI (serial) data.
5. In a few minutes, I will order a second XBEE 802.15.4 and test transmitting MIDI between them. I'm still optimistic and can use the module I built as the receiver. No wasted effort there.
6. Yesterday, I ordered the Highly Liquid CPU and should have it in a few days.
7. I will put together an on or in guitar test module with a few switches and pots connected to the Highly Liquid CPU, connected to an XBEE 802.15.4 that transmits to the second XBEE 802.15.4, which provides serial output to MIDI-In on my GR-55.
8. I should have parts by mid week and a prototype by next weekend, hopefully ready for testing.

What's GOOD about 802.15.4? Not every iPad and Android device can hack into your MIDI link. It has literally thousands of unique channel and ids to almost guarantee a secure connection between XBEEs.

Results ASAP.

Sorry for the delay, but that's how it goes sometimes.

For those who really want WIFI, there is also a module available that will RX/TX WIFI.
http://store.digi.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=651

I will probably end up with one of the XBEE WIFI modules soon too, but for other MIDI applications than my wireless MIDI Controller. But, first I want to finish my wireless MIDI controller and WIFI MIDI is secondary for me for now. I suspect the MIDI data rates are directly compatible with WIFI data rates, which the XBEE 802.15.4 can compensate for because it has configurable data rates that can be set to MIDI standard rate of 31,250 baud - which is non-standard for computer data transmission.

I still recommend the missing link for anyone just needing a wireless midi connection though:
http://wifimidi.com/
I think you could build your own using the XBEE WIFI modules, but it would cost more time and trouble than the missing link and not necessarily support all the missing link features, link OSC. I would wait to build a XBEE WIFI MIDI box until someone else does it, resolves the data rate issues, etc...unless you just like to tinker with this stuff, like me.

More soon.

musicman65

tekrytor,

awesome project dude....and thanks for the pointers. I wah right so I'm set with this design. I may stick with pots to make it more serviceable in a pinch but encoders are cool because they don't have a stop which would be great for my foot wheels.

Keep us posted on your wireless midi project. Very cool. I can see a mini floorboard for your fingers on a guitar.

I wish someone would design a digital mux to send 13-pin over wireless with low latency! With the wifi data rates available today, why not? A/D device can send 8 channels over USB so why not WIFI?

bd

tekrytor

Update on my controller projects, good news on the HighlyLiquid CPU. I finished the foot controller MIDI side and it now gives me 4 extra footswitches and 1 extra expression pedal for use with control assigns. Photos below.

I'm now moving on to the XBEEs and the in/on guitar MIDI controller with the second HighlyLiquid CPU. I should have the XBEEs working later this week, if work permits me some "play" time. I would have had all this wrapped up two weeks ago, but I started a new job and the hours are a bit intense at first. Gotta pay the rent before working my projects.

If you want to see the code for this application of the HighlyLiquid CPU using 4 Normally Open momentary switches and the potentiometer in the footpedal to send MIDI CC# 1-4 on the switch LO to HI transitions and MIDI CC# 12 for EXP, see my second post on the following thread at HighlyLiquid:
http://forum.highlyliquid.com/showthread.php?t=804

I set the GR-55 controller ASSIGNs Source Mode to MOMENTARY for the switches and select the corresponding CC# to the switch to toggle delay or distortion, etc ON/OFF.

Basically, I'm using these to drive GR-55 controller assigns. This is a 5-on-the-floor and soon, I will have 5 on the guitar also. I'm thinking of adding two or four additional switches on the guitar mounted controller for MIDI PC or Bank inc/decrement to free up the S1/S2 switches for other things. Since there are only 8 control assigns, I will have a few spares for PC messages.

Sorry, the photos are not better. I will also take some better inside shots once I add the XBEE. For now, the third and fourth photos are the M-Audio Black Box before, and photos one and two are after, connected to the GR-55. I was going for a small footprint that's lightweight but adds a lot of control options. I picked up the Black Box for about $35 a few years ago. For this project, I yanked the cable, added two more momentary switches, two MIDI jacks, a MIDI activity LED, the HighlyLiquid CPU, and a power jack. I'm running it off a standard 9VDC effects wart. Oh, and when it's all done, it will have an XBEE sticker and be BLUE too!!!

gumbo

So great to see the H-L CPU getting in there!!    ;D

tekrytor

Hey Gumbo,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your original post about the Highly Liquid CPU!!!

I should have my guitar mount controller ready in a few more days too, and the two XBEEs are programmed for MIDI data rates and waiting. I'm really digging how this is all turning out. I promise you photos of the innards of the Black Box with CPU when I mount the XBEE in it, and the same goes for the guitar mount controller. I just wanted to make all the modules work individually before soldering them together. Then, when it worked, I got punchy, wanted to try it on the GR-55, and so I put the screws in the Black Box before I remembered to take a photo. Soon though, I'll have it open again and "click", then post.

tekrytor

Elantric

Get started here: http://feelyoursound.com/midimidi/

With the combination of MaKey MaKey (hardware) and MidiMidi (software) it's very easy to create your own MIDI controller. Just connect alligator clips to objects you want to use for your show and you are ready to go.

Get parts here
http://www.amazon.com/MaKey-The-Original-Invention-Everyone/dp/B008SFLEPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397831505&sr=8-1&keywords=makey+makey

MaKey MaKey The Original Invention Kit for Everyone
by Makey Makey
  45 customer reviews  | 7 answered questions
Price:   $49.95 
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it tomorrow, April 19? Order within 7 hrs 57 mins and choose Saturday Delivery at checkout. Details
Turn the whole world into a keyboard
Makey Makey was developed from a Research based project at MIT Media Lab's Lifelong Kindergarten
Make + Key = MaKey MaKey
Use your wildest imagination and turn everyday objects into touch pads and combine them with the internet
At Makey Makey we believe that everyone can create the future and change the world

mojo thorne

:D

That's a pretty neat (and simple) kit combo!  It's too bad that the software doesn't seem to be compatible with OS X. 

I can think of a hundred ways to use this, but unfortunately, none of them would justify me buying a PC or laptop.

Thanks for posting that link though... it's just triggered some other out of the box thinking for me.

Elantric

Martin Cliffe presents the first in a short series looking at putting together a basic MIDI controlled pedalboard rig, using an RJM MasterMind MIDI controller and an RJM Mini Effect Gizmo.

For more on the Mini Effect Gizmo: http://www.rjmmusic.com/minieffectgiz...
The RJM MasterMind: http://www.rjmmusic.com/mastermind.php

Martin Cliffe presents the second half of a 2 part series looking at putting together a basic MIDI controlled pedalboard rig, using an RJM MasterMind MIDI controller and an RJM Mini Effect Gizmo. Includes extensive sound clips.

Elantric

Build your own pedalboard using IKEA GORM shelves, velcro, spray paint and some other stuff. Pretty solid and very affordable! The original idea came from a forum user named ArmchairBronco. I shot this video in the summer of 2013, but only got around to editing it this week.

Thanks to my wife, Willeke, for helping me out with this DIY project. Oh, and all of the background music was taken from other pedal demo videos I made... so performed by me.

Please subscribe and LIKE my Facebook page: facebook.com/jjlikesguitar

Elantric

Looper 1

Hey guys, I thought this question might be asked of you since pedal boards are likely to be somewhat of a specialty item here. The question is: What is the best method for securing pedals to a pedal board? Other than Velcro, M3, silicone and cable ties. Is there a DIY non invasive method? I have a TC Helicon VL3 and a Boss RC300  amongst other things I wish to attach to a board. Both are big and the idea is to make a lightweight, affordable, durable board that doubles as a case for touring.. Does anyone know of any creative solutions to this riddle?