GR-55 - The Cool List (fav features and how to use them)

Started by tracy, March 05, 2011, 02:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Quote* GK volume used as a 5-way pickup switch

Can you post this patch?

synthgtr

paults

I'm thinking that might be as simple as :

Source = EXP PDL

Target = Modeling, E. GTR Clas ST,Mod-ST PU Select

Minimum = Rear

Maximum = Front

ACT RNG LO = 0

ACT RNG HI = 127

ddlooping

Paul, I haven't tried it but are you sure it wouldn't simply "jump" from the rear pickup to the front one, bypassing the other combinations?

If not, great. :)

If it does, something like the following would have to be used:

Assign 1
Source = EXP PDL (or GK Volume)
Minimum = Rear
Maximum = Rear + Middle
ACT RNG LO = 0
ACT RNG HI = 32

Assign 2
Minimum = Rear + Middle
Maximum = Middle
ACT RNG LO = 32
ACT RNG HI = 64

Assign 3
Minimum = Middle
Maximum = Middle + Neck
ACT RNG LO = 64
ACT RNG HI = 96

Assign 4
Minimum = Middle + Neck
Maximum = Neck
ACT RNG LO = 96
ACT RNG HI = 127

(which I haven't tried either ;D)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

gumtown

This one should work, each pickup selection will change at an equal % of the knob/pedal travel (4 selections = pickup change each 25%).

Quote from: paults on April 20, 2011, 06:56:07 PM
I'm thinking that might be as simple as :

Source = EXP PDL

Minimum = Rear

Maximum = Front

ACT RNG LO = 0

ACT RNG HI = 127

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

SLICK

Quote from: ddlooping on April 20, 2011, 07:05:02 PM
Paul, I haven't tried it but are you sure it wouldn't simply "jump" from the rear pickup to the front one, bypassing the other combinations?

If not, great. :)

If it does, something like the following would have to be used:

Assign 1
Minimum = Rear
Maximum = Rear + Middle
ACT RNG LO = 0
ACT RNG HI = 32

Assign 2
Minimum = Rear + Middle
Maximum = Middle
ACT RNG LO = 32
ACT RNG HI = 64

Assign 3
Minimum = Middle
Maximum = Middle + Neck
ACT RNG LO = 64
ACT RNG HI = 96

Assign 4
Minimum = Middle + Neck
Maximum = Neck
ACT RNG LO = 96
ACT RNG HI = 127

(which I haven't tried either ;D)

I have already tried this and it does not work. You only get one of your assigns as the GR-55 sees the others as conflicts and ignores them e.g.:
Assign 1 states that the pup selected must be "Rear + Middle" when the range is 32 and above
While
Assign 2 states that the pup selected must be "Middle" when the range is 64 and above

Clearly the pup can only be set to one or the other so when the range is 64 or over the assigns are in conflict (actually all of these assigns are always in conflict as the 2nd assign states that the pup must be Rear + Middle at all values lower than 32 and your first Assign contradicts this etc, etc)

Its a pity but it is logical once you realise the way the assigns for the variable controllers work as in defining a region rather than a switching point.  :(
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

ddlooping

It does make sense, SLICK, thanks.

I have now tried to assign the pickup changes to the EXP pedal.
It works to a certain extent:
[heel down] Front => Front + Center => Center => Rear [toe down]
It somehow bypasses the "Center + Rear" combination.  ???

The same thing happens when using the GK vol as the source.

smudge

If you change the switch from Toggle to Moment you can scroll through all pickup positions with the GK Vol.
Source =  GK Volume
Source Mode = Moment
Target = Modeling, E. GTR Clas ST,Mod-ST PU Select / or LP etc
Minimum = Rear
Maximum = Front
ACT RNG LO = 0
ACT RNG HI = 127

I nearly wasted money on a foot controller till I figured that one and I got used to the Rotary switch very quickly.

ddlooping

That's what I did, smudge, but it is somehow missing the "Center + Rear" combination.  ???
(both when using the EXP pedal or the GK volume)

prsrick

Thanks for the idea.
I try this with momentary, but you will get switching click noises when you move the pedal.
Toggle have no noise, but as the name applies, you get different pickup every time you toggle between positions

paults

That's how authentic the modeling is in the 55 - I hear mechanical noises when I change pickups on my regulars guitars, too :) 

ddlooping

Those of you who have tried this method, please let me know if you get the "Center + Rear" combination. :)

paults

I can get all five positions with a single assignment, but the regions aren't smoothly split through the EXP travel, and for me the  "touchiest" one is the middle+bridge.

Since that worked, I tried something more complicated. I managed to make an SSH strat via EXP control. I'll post the patch soon, but I'm still fine tuning the ranges The point where it goes from strat M+B to HHStrat bridge is the trickiest one. The key to it is not having any overlapping values.   

I've experimented doing it via the pedal just to make sure it can be done via a controller - The ideal way to do this for me is to use an external controller that sends five discreet resistance values. I think that will make it much simpler to assign values.   

I'm going to wire my guitars that already have five-way switches to the resistance values via pin 9 into a Midi Solutions Pedal controller box.

If that sounds interesting, there is a virtual pickup switching thread somewhere on the site. There are already people using a super switch with five resistors to control their 99s.

I think it can probably be done with a stock switch and two resistors. On the "extra side" of the switch,  I'll start with 5k, 2.5k, Zero. That should give me 3.75k and 1.25k for positions 2 and 4.  If it needs to be higher resolution (or if zero needs to be a small amont of resistance), I'll go to higher values. When I figure out optimal values for the resistors, I'll report in the DIY section:)

ddlooping

Quote from: paults on April 23, 2011, 11:26:44 AM
I can get all five positions with a single assignment, but the regions aren't smoothly split through the EXP travel, and for me the  "touchiest" one is the middle+bridge.

That's the one I can't seem to be able to get.  :-\

Quote from: paults on April 23, 2011, 11:26:44 AM
If that sounds interesting, there is a virtual pickup switching thread somewhere on the site. There are already people using a super switch with five resistors to control their 99s.

I think it can probably be done with a stock switch and two resistors. On the "extra side" of the switch,  I'll start with 5k, 2.5k, Zero. That should give me 3.75k and 1.25k for positions 2 and 4.  If it needs to be higher resolution (or if zero needs to be a small amont of resistance), I'll go to higher values. When I figure out optimal values for the resistors, I'll report in the DIY section:)

It does sound interesting, thanks. :)

paults

that position is just from 90 through 96ish on my 55  Is there a calibrate pedal function?

if not, try the multiple ranges approach, but don't overlap them.

All Momentary, with Min=Max 
Neck.      0 - 24
N+M.    26 - 51
Middle  53 - 78
M+B.    79 - 104
Bridge 105 -127

ddlooping

Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. :)

I was only trying for the sake of it though, I intend to stick to using the GK S1 and S2 switches to change pickups (guitars as well) even though I can only have 4 pickup selections. ;)

markcasq

here's the patch, it is as easy as using assign to the GK vol with minimum rear and maximum front.  you just have to get used to how the 5 pickups is split in the GK Vol.  it is easier to assign it to GK vol than with the pedal so I use pedal for gain, however I am thinking to assign pedal to modelling volume instead.

ddlooping

Quote from: markcasq on April 24, 2011, 08:19:24 PM
.. I use pedal for gain, however I am thinking to assign pedal to modelling volume instead.

Have you tried using it for both?
You decrease the gain while slightly increasing the volume to compensate.
It enables you to clean up your sound nicely. :)

markcasq

Quote from: ddlooping on April 24, 2011, 08:27:54 PM
Have you tried using it for both?
You decrease the gain while slightly increasing the volume to compensate.
It enables you to clean up your sound nicely. :)

yup, I did that after I saw it in some of the posts here (it might be your post that I saw ;)).  I just had to find the right balance of min/max values for volume to ensure consistent volume as I change the gain. 

I'm thinking to use Tone volume for the pedal as advised in some of the posts here, haven't tried it yet though.  I wish I can connect an FS-6 and another pedal so I can assign more things!

ddlooping

Quote from: markcasq on April 27, 2011, 07:10:55 PM
yup, I did that after I saw it in some of the posts here (it might be your post that I saw ;)).  I just had to find the right balance of min/max values for volume to ensure consistent volume as I change the gain.

How do you like it? :)

Jim Williams

Here is a nice little trick. It has to do with using your volume knob to lower the gain to clean up your guitar. At the same time you can assign the chorus to come up for a clean chorus and a dirty hi-gain sound in one patch.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

ecca

* GK volume used as a 5-way pickup switch

How did you do that ?

Elantric

Quote* GK volume used as a 5-way pickup switch

How did you do that ?

Download this patch
"* strat with 5 way switch and distortion.g5l"
at this post
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3354.msg25336#msg25336

Quotehere's the patch, it is as easy as using assign to the GK vol with minimum rear and maximum front.  you just have to get used to how the 5 pickups is split in the GK Vol.  it is easier to assign it to GK vol than with the pedal so I use pedal for gain, however I am thinking to assign pedal to modelling volume instead.

ecca

Cheers Elantic, forgive me if I'm a little slow in catching on, I haven't been here long.

DjSon

Is it possible to do the same with a USB cable and a DAW that supports MIDI in and OUT?