GR-55 - Video's, Video's and more Video's Please! for the GR-55

Started by RicardoLove, February 09, 2011, 12:33:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halexx

Quote from: Kilgore on March 05, 2011, 01:23:51 AM
I guess the best way to think about that video is to say " Look! Even this yahoo can't make it glitch! Just imagine what it will sound like when put in the hands of someone who actually knows how to use it!"

Yeah, hope you will get yours soon and you will offer use a video so that we will all can see as good that unit can be in the hand of someone who really know how to have it played!
8)

Monsoon

I've been lurking here and anxiously awaiting my GR-55 from Zzounds. Unfortunately it's been backlogged again until March 18. I hope that's the last time it's delayed because I don't know how much more I can take lol......

I agree with what's been said here about that last vid, first in terms of playing guitar synth in general and secondly, in terms of the GR-55's performance. As far as synth playing, the same holds true for other controllers. I'm a wind synth guy as well as guitar and you HAVE to play differently according to the voices. I cannot play the pan pipe voice the same way I play the sax voice. I truly have to play it like I'm playing the pans so there's a lot of mental focus along with the changes in mouth, throat and breath.

For guitar, all I have right now is the GR 20. I'm a banjo player as well and when I'm playing Foggy Mountain with the Xtsa and GR 20, I've turned plenty of heads because you really can't tell the difference using 5 string style picking. But then I've handed it off to some of my jammin' partners and they would give it a shot. The look on their faces when it sounded like crap was comical. When asked why...my answer was, well, you have to play it like a banjo, not a guitar.

I know this thread is for the GR-55 but I'm going to put a GR 20 one up. Even though I'm not a drummer, I value the GR 20's percussion and I'm curious if the GR 55 is going to allow me to do the same thing as in this vid. I'd hate to have to run both side by side but I don't want to lose this capability.

At any rate, I hope you like the sound......

ddlooping

Welcome to the forum, Monsoon, and thanks for sharing your video. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

tracy

Glad to see the old "do-do-do-BOP" patch from the GR-20 made it into the GR-55. It is one of my favs.

@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

tracy

tracy

A brief cellphone clip of Alex Hutchings, Roland Synth Guitar Guru, at Birmingham Guitar Show 2011

tracy

Lead sounds - 20 Minutes

Rhythm Sounds  - 19 minutes

OTHER sounds from kennisrussell - 25 minutes of every sound in the OTHER bank.

ddlooping

Quote from:  Elantric
Request! GR-55 Acoustics

This one definitely does the GR-55 a disservice.  ;D

papabuss

yes indeed....delete it quickly.... :P..
and to all our forum members.: only post the good ones...please :-*
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

fizog

Having watched Kennis Russell's videos extensively, I have to say I'm disappointed by the patches Roland have included, especially the lead sounds, many of which seem to have been copied over from my 16 year old VG-8 EX. Of all the sounds from that plethora of banks, I heard about 20 or so that piqued my interest, but there was no single killer patch that made me think "I need to buy a GR-55, now." Can someone please restore my faith in this machine and post a video of a user created patch that will convince me to buy this unit? I so want to believe.

brooster

Quote from: fizog on March 07, 2011, 03:11:40 PM
Having watched Kennis Russell's videos extensively, I have to say I'm disappointed by the patches Roland have included, especially the lead sounds, many of which seem to have been copied over from my 16 year old VG-8 EX. Of all the sounds from that plethora of banks, I heard about 20 or so that piqued my interest, but there was no single killer patch that made me think "I need to buy a GR-55, now." Can someone please restore my faith in this machine and post a video of a user created patch that will convince me to buy this unit? I so want to believe.

If Kennis Russell would have listened to the sounds a bit more and had a little better understanding of what the sounds were about He could have given the listeners a better idea of the potential of the sounds. I'm glad he did what he did but I wish he would have done a bit more gleaning.

RicardoLove

The only reason it took me so long to add my "video 2 cents" is because my camera was crap in low light and my video editing software is acting up...so at last I just took out my trusty android phone recorded myself and just uploaded it raw.  This is my favorite patch for expressiveness on the GR-55 called "Exoritanz"! It is a banjo patch of all things (I don't play country) with synths and tones of fx but really low to ad ambiance.  The sound is not excellent but hear the expressiveness and response of the patch...I love that.  I wish all the patches where so well programed and all of the PCM sounds could respond as well as the modeled sounds.  Forgive my corniness on my expressions LOL
email: ricardolovemedia@gmail.com
demo web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/rlove
GR-55 demos http://www.soundcloud.com/ricardolove
For hire Music Producer/Remixer

kennisrussell

I have made a bunch of GR-55 Sound Demos on youtube.com/kennisrussell  Subscribe to my channel for more.  I'm making some additional ones too.

sixeight

piriolirio

ddlooping

tracy

Quote from: piriolirio on May 17, 2011, 05:09:55 AM
Hello! This is me, playing the Roland GR-55 Scat Guitar Patch (modified a bit...)

Great piece!!! It would be interesting to hear what modifications you made to the patch, and why.

samandlyn

Quote from: tracy on May 20, 2011, 04:48:23 PM
Great piece!!! It would be interesting to hear what modifications you made to the patch, and why.

I agree , Antonio, really enjoyed your video. I would love to know also what modifications you made to the patch.  ;D

piriolirio

I've made just a few adjustment to the Scat Guitar patch: a bit more volume on the pcm tone and less volume to the modeled guitar, and different values for the velocity curve and minimum velocity. I can't say the exact values because I forgot to "write" the modifications! Sorry!!!
Anyway the most important adjustments are in the basic system->gk settings, but everyone must set them to suit his/her style of playing.
I can personally advise to spend a lot of time adjusting the parameters in the gk setting page, trying to play with all the factory patches until they sound in the best possible way. Further adjustments MUST be made inside the patches! The responsiveness of the GR-55 varies from tone to tone, mainly depending on the "attack" time. You can't find a basic good setting for both a violin and a mallet!

audiotrax

Rats!  And just when I was in the mood to take a mallet to my violin  ;)
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

ddlooping

mbenigni

Hearing great tones and watching guys play them better than I can is all well and good, but...  :) What I would really like to see is a video of someone doing some deep editing of PCM tone params (LFOs TVAs and all that alphabet soup) with a voiceover describing, in plain English, what all of those params are actually doing.  I'm starting to run into cases where the tones "out of the box" are close, but not quite, and I think if I understood this process better, I'd be able to get there.  But I was never big into the modular synth thing, and Roland's presentation (e.g. 3 letters and a knob) isn't exactly meeting me halfway.

Really understanding PCM tone programming is especially important since DSP is at a premium (i.e. you run out of effects blocks, fast) in the GR55.  A lot of times you think you need a delay or a reverb when tweaking the ASDR envelope will do - and that's just the one example I happen to understand!

mbenigni

Quote from: Spider on February 21, 2011, 03:46:05 AM
It's very nice:)

Wow, this is great!  Jonathan, were you using the GR-55 Looper there?  Any other hardware besides your GR55?

mbenigni

Quote from: audiotrax on February 20, 2011, 12:49:32 PM
Here's a good one.  Wow!  Guess somebody heard my request:

And this one is just crazy.  I wouldn't believe it was possible if I hadn't seen the video.

audiotrax

Mbenigni:  I suggest that you find an analog based vst synth to play around with to get familiar with basic synth parameters.  The reason I say this is that the GR-55 is rather crptic for someone who's new with the technology.  Everything is buried down in menus, and doesn't give you any overall picture of how each paremeter effects shaping a patch.

There's lots of free vst's out there.  If you can find one based on a Minimoog, or a Prophet 5, that will get you started on the basics.  Even though the layouts are different on various analog synths, the concepts are pretty much the same.  It's not really that hard to grasp once you play around with it, and you HEAR what's happening to a sound when you change a value on an ADSR or a filter.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths