Elantric

GR-55 LCD Menu Navigation
http://www.youtube.com/user/FutureGuitarNow

GR-55 Menu Navigation  #1

GR-55 Menu Navigation  #2

GR-55 Menu Navigation  #3

Roland Japan GR-55 Video
#14????????????GR-55?????????

GR-55 GK Setting menu: - Note the GK PU Direction can be set as "Normal" or "Reverse"

mos6507

Wow, normal pickup gain?  That is something the VG-99 doesn't have.  I had to install a preamp in my guitar to match levels.

Michael Dolan Doubleneck
Les Paul Custom

VG-99
FTP

gumtown

I would probably switch between guitar and bass mode at times, and on the GR-20 it was annoying that the same GK setup parameters would be applied in both modes.
I wonder if the GR-55 keeps different settings between modes, or allows different GK settings stored for using different instruments?
I suppose the User Manual will be out soon, so many of my 1000's of questions will probably be answered in the manual.

What is the display like for reading in day light or in the dark, it doesn't look like it emits much back lighting from the videos.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

727lawrence

Great info! Elantric, thanks so much for going to this effort. This is easily the best user's forum I have ever seen.   ;D

Elantric

QuoteI wonder if the GR-55 keeps different settings between modes, or allows different GK settings stored for using different instruments?

Yes - this is exactly how the GR-55 it works.

paults

From watching the videos, I see you could power it up in Bass mode, set it as a six string pickup, and alt tune it down an octave to use the Rick, Music Man, etc. bass models with your guitar.  Talk about bang for the buck :)

gumtown

Wow this thing is really deep in the amount of settings possibilities.
Would like to know more about what effects it has in the Mod and MFX sections.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

JCRob

Quote from: gumtown on January 18, 2011, 07:02:43 PM
I would probably switch between guitar and bass mode at times

Can you really do that with one guitar and still be able to control both modes?  It'll be awesome if i could do that with my bass (I wanna try the acoustic guitars!!)...

dnedwek

Much thanks for creating these videos ... I'd definitely contribute to support that grad student creating an editor ... I'd wear out that scroll wheel.  ;)

Elantric

QuoteI'd definitely contribute to support that grad student creating an editor .

GR-55 EDITOR - Is here.

Gumtown's GR-55 FloorBoard Editor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

pjmuck

Quote from: Elantric on January 20, 2011, 03:54:28 PM
Yes - this is exactly how the GR-55 it works.

Except you will need to reboot the system when switching between guitar and bass modes.  >:( MY hope was to have both my Godin LGX-SA guitar and GK3B equipped Carvin bass hoked up the GR-55 via a Roland US-20 unit selector and simply switch between the two, but it can't be done.
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B

Elantric

QuoteExcept you will need to reboot the system when switching between guitar and bass modes.  Angry MY hope was to have both my Godin LGX-SA guitar and GK3B equipped Carvin bass hoked up the GR-55 via a Roland US-20 unit selector and simply switch between the two, but it can't be done.

This fact might hep.

* GR-55 GUITAR MODE includes a reduced number of COSM Basses and COSM Bass Amps.

* GR-55 BASS MODE includes a reduced number of COSM Guitars and COSM Guitar Amps.

Should keep you covered if you need to swap between playing Guitar or playing Bass at gigs

gumtown

Not sure on the effect this will have on the modelling, but on the GR-20 the difference between guitar and bass mode is 1 octave shift on the PCM sounds.
Bass mode = 1:1
guitar mode, PCM sounds are shifted down 1 octave.

Fusion

Am I just not seeing where everything is, but doesn't the floorboard editor have a million more tweak options and params than one can access on the units screens?
How on earth did the programming wunderkinds dig so far into that puppy, bloody amazing work!!!!
"Long ago in days of old when magic filled the air..."

Elantric

Review the onboard GR-55 LCD  / Datawheel navigation to all GR-55 parameters here

GR-55 Navigation Videos
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2939.msg17482#msg17482

shawnb

Quote from: Fusion on March 09, 2015, 11:00:52 AM
Am I just not seeing where everything is, but doesn't the floorboard editor have a million more tweak options and params than one can access on the units screens?
How on earth did the programming wunderkinds dig so far into that puppy, bloody amazing work!!!!

I think the major difference is that the Floorboard is laid out more logically than the UI menus.  The UI menus faced a serious constraint in terms of characters x lines, which severely hampered how they grouped things.   Some UI elements are grouped together purely because of space, not function. 

I think there is 99+% overlap between the two.   I know there is at least one parameter in the Floorboard that is not in the UI.   And when I had last used it (which admittedly was a while back), there were a few params available in the UI not in the Floorboard.   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Fusion

I guess I am having trouble finding it as I have spent all my time working with the Floorboard. That one page on the Floorboard with all the PCM params is just amazing. I get into the unit screens and I forget where things are. Plus the ease of tweak, resend and save are just amazing. In all honesty without finding the Floorboard editor for the GR55 I would have returned the unit. A great thing Gum and the other brain trust has done for Roland by putting the editor software out there, for free no less. I imagine there are other users like me who would not have kept the unit if not for it. Such a debt of gratitude is owed them one and all.
I am touched that some would offer such a thing for free to the rest of us. Speaks well of their character.

concordal

Quote from: Fusion on March 10, 2015, 06:08:50 AM
A great thing Gum and the other brain trust has done for Roland by putting the editor software out there, for free no less.

Fusion, no doubt you already know this, but for newcomers who might not be aware: Floorboard is distributed without charge and is "donationware."  As a daily user of Floorboard I was happy to contribute.  Floorboard users wishing to donate can look under the help Menu right within the software for the pulldown item labelled "Donate if you appreciate this software."

Thanks, Fusion, for drawing this to our attention and thanks once again for all your efforts, Gumtown. 

Fusion

I would love to drop some dues on you been a bad year for me but things are looking better. i have a fixed income myself but having the guilt trip I am having I will come up with something. We all owe you.

Elantric

GR-55 System Settings Part 1 of 4
GK SETTINGS
In this video, Kennis Russell shows you how to set the GK SETTINGS in the GR-55. The GK SETTINGS calibrate your guitar for the GR-55. This helps eliminate ghost notes and improves the performance of the guitar. Make sure to watch all four parts in this series and please don't forget to Like, Comment, and Subscribe.

http://youtu.be/tHsAbmEXrGE?list=RDd8BikMeffjA
GR-55 System Settings Part 2 of 4
OUTPUT SELECT
In this video, Kennis Russell shows you how to select the OUTPUT in the GR-55. The OUTPUT SELECT settings tell the GR-55 what kind of amp or PA you are playing through. The GR-55 then adjusts the output accordingly. So weather you are playing through a tube amp, solid state amp, PA, or more, the GR-55 gives you the best sound for your setup. Make sure to watch all four parts in this series

GR-55 System Settings Part 3 of 4
PEDAL / GK CTL
In this video, Kennis Russell shows you how to set the PEDAL / GK CTL SETTINGS in the GR-55. The PEDAL / GK CTL settings allow you to set the controls of the GR-55 to your taste. Weather its the Expression Pedal, CTL Button or the contols on your GK-3, you can set them to function just the way you want. Make sure to watch all four parts in this series

GR-55 System Settings Part 4 of 4
OTHER SETTINGS
In this video, Kennis Russell shows you how to set the OTHER SETTINGS in the GR-55. The OTHER SETTINGS are settings that allow you to fine tune the controls of each patch even further to function just the way you want. Make sure to watch all four parts in this series

A how to edit and create patches tutorial of the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesize. This is part 1 in a 4 part tutorial. Part 1 focuses on editing the PCM sounds, Part 2 focuses on the Model guitar effects and Part 3 focuses on Normal Pickup, overall effects and part 4 is final edits and playing the sounds together.

A how to edit and create patches tutorial of the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesize. This is part 2 in a 4 part tutorial. Part 1 focuses on editing the PCM sounds, Part 2 focuses on the Model guitar effects and Part 3 focuses on Normal Pickup, overall effects and part 4 is final edits and playing the sounds together.

A how to edit and create patches tutorial of the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesize. This is part 3 in a 4 part tutorial. Part 1 focuses on editing the PCM sounds, Part 2 focuses on the Model guitar effects and Part 3 focuses on Normal Pickup, overall effects and part 4 is final edits and playing the sounds together.

A how to edit and create patches tutorial of the Roland GR-55 Guitar Synthesize. This is part 4 in a 4 part tutorial. Part 1 focuses on editing the PCM sounds, Part 2 focuses on the Model guitar effects and Part 3 focuses on Normal Pickup, overall effects and part 4 is final edits and playing the sounds together.

A how-to video on setting up the Roland GK-3 with a Roland-GR-55.

How to setup the CTL pedal to become a solo boost switch on the Roland GR-55.