How to use a Mixer/ splitter with the Roland GR 55

Started by deppard, September 25, 2014, 07:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deppard

Hi Guys,

Apologies. Been away for a while. So hello and howdy to you all.

Elantric, you might remember some time back I was talking about undue buzz while using the GR 55.
You requested an audio sample. I feel ashamed that I haven't been able to do that yet. Anyway, the
other issue-

I read on this forum that a good way to cut out unwarranted noise etc is not to use a "Y" cable as it
can destroy the unit eventually, but to use a Mixer like the ART SPLITMix 4 (link below)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=recording&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNGHmvCD1roCFaNxQgodSW8AYA

You had mentioned this too, to another member.

My query is how to use this splitter? What would be the connection /setup diagram between guitar, GR 55 Amp and splitter?

MY current connection is-

1. Short 1/4 cable connects the guitar body to the GK3 pickup
2. 13 pin cable connects the GR 55 to the GK3 PUP on my guitar.
3. 1/4 Cable from my  single Amp (Roland cube 60) goes into the L/Mono on the GR 55.

How to deploy the splitter? What are its benefits? I'm thinking of using 2 different cables--
But not sure which'd go where

1. One for COSM and normal guitar sounds
2. second for the PCM 1 & 2.

I was thinking that having 2 separate channels/lines may improve sound quality.

I'd be grateful for the forum experts' inputs on this. Is this possible with a mixer like this one?

Thanks

Paul

Elantric

What's your goal?
Typically a Mixer /Splitter is used to blend / combine the output of GR-55; and a separate MIDI Tone module/Synth upstream of a Stage D.I. box , so the FOH (Front of House) Mix person has a manageable mono or stereo return from your rig to feed the house PA while a separate output feeds your on stage monitor, if the House PA monitors are insufficient.

Its not needed if using the GR55 alone, a good passive D I box will help tame ground loop hum