Guitar through

Started by brucefulton, September 05, 2013, 06:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brucefulton

I'm sure it's in here somewhere, but I'm not seeing what I'm looking for with respect to getting my LGXT "natural" sound through the GR55. If I connect my guitar's combo-out jack into a Roland AC90 I get a sound I really like. However I'm not able to get the same sound through the GR-55 by selecting the guitar pickup only on the GR55 through the 13 pin, even if I set up the amp channel the same way on the AC90. It seems to me that if I select bypass or effects on the GR55 for the guitar pickup selection and then turn off all the effects, I should get the same sound out of the GR55 through the 13-pin as I do from the combo guitar out standard 1/4" jack on the lgxt, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I can get a good sound out of the GR55/13pin connection, but it's not the same as a direct out. If this is covered in existing threads, let me know, thanks. What I'd like to start with is an initialized GR55 patch and then do what I need to do to get the same sound out of that patch as I do from plugging my guitar via the combo output 1/4" connection direct to the amp. Lost cause, or what am I missing?

Elantric

Getting Three Voices on Godin Guitar and Gr-55

www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3745.0

brucefulton

Yeah, I read that, but it addresses a different question. I can get the guitar through out of the GR-55 but it sounds different than the guitar directly plugged into the amp. That's what I'm having issues with.

montyrivers

One thing that can be the case is the fact that the GR55 mag pickup output has a bad noise to signal ratio because it runs on the same signal path as the Cosm FX circuit.  Here is some surgery you can do to fix it, if you're down for some diy.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5456.25

Check and see if you have this problem exclusively with the GR55 if you have the opportunity to test it with another 13 pin unit or a guitar multi with dry guitar output.  Otherwise that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Elantric

Many folks  do hear a compromised signal lacking definition and "sounds different" emerging from the GR-55's Guitar Out Jack.
This is due to the non transparent electronic signal chain upstream of the GR-55's  Guitar Out Jack.

For this reason many run separate cables out of the guitar, or mod the GR-55 as Monty stated above. 

brucefulton

Thanks, probably won't mod, so I guess I'll just live with it. You'd think they would provide a true through.
Quote from: Elantric on September 06, 2013, 09:25:02 AM
Many folks  do hear a compromised signal lacking definition and "sounds different" emerging from the GR-55's Guitar Out Jack.
This is due to the non transparent electronic signal chain upstream of the GR-55's  Guitar Out Jack.

For this reason many run separate cables out of the guitar, or mod the GR-55 as Monty stated above.

brucefulton

Quote from: brucefulton on September 07, 2013, 01:51:58 PM
Thanks, probably won't mod, so I guess I'll just live with it. You'd think they would provide a true through.

Well, Ok since I bit the bullet and decided just to connect the lgxt direct from the combo output as well as through the gr-55, I'm thinking I really like the resulting sound and the possibilities. I still think Roland should provide a clean direct through, but I guess for the slight hassle of plugging in two cables instead of one, I'm getting more of the sound I was looking for.