iGuitar 13 pin Upgrade on Parker Fly

Started by Alec Lee, October 08, 2014, 09:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Lee

A few months ago, the output jack on my Parker Fly went south.  Given the wacky electronics (PCBs and ribbon cables) in the beast, I opted to "fix" it by replacing the electronics.  As long as I was going down that path, I figured I might as well add a 13 pin option while I was replacing the piezo. 

As I researched companies to do the upgrade, it became clear that iGuitar Workshop (a.k.a., Brian Moore Guitars) was the shop for my upgrade.  My correspondence with them made it clear that they not only knew how to do 13 pin upgrades, they understood the nuances of doing them on Parkers. 

I got the guitar back today and it was exactly as promised/expected.  After about 20 minutes dialing it in with my VG-99, I was off to rehearsal.  I didn't realize how much I'd missed that guitar until I was playing with the band.  The setup was great (though I need to replace the strings with my bespoke hybrid set) and the sounds were cool (though I'm still figuring out the VG).

Overall, iGuitar was great to work with.  They know their stuff, turned the guitar around in a reasonable amount of time (~2 weeks), mocked up the new setup (knobs and jacks) and got my confirmation before making any permanent changes. 

As for the GK-Piezo debate, I'd just as soon not open that can of worms.  In this particular case, going with a piezo setup was a good choice given my desire to replace the electronics, minimize the cosmetic changes (i.e., no hex pickup), and the way I intend to use the system.  For cases where the piezo might not be ideal, I can fall back to my GK-equipped EBMM.

For those craving pix I offer the following:

carlb

Beautiful guitar! The iGuitar guys really do know their stuff, they just finished an equally cool upgrade on my Carvin SH-475.

As to Ghost vs. RMC, I'll step right into it. If you must, you can make do with the Ghost system. If you have a choice, get the RMC.  ;)
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker