Author Topic: GK-3 on Acoustic  (Read 19361 times)

Offline animo0001

Re: GK-3 on Acoustic
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2014, 03:44:52 AM »
Thanks a lot ! The answer was very helpful  :)

Offline Elantric

« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2015, 06:02:30 PM »

Unboxing of the new Boss GP-10 Guitar Effects Processor and installation of the GK-3 pickup on an acoustic electric guitar.

Offline duffy

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2015, 11:27:17 PM »
Hey guys has anyone used the GR55 with a GK3 on an acoustic guitar? Say something like a OOO Martin.I think it should work but I'm just checking.I used the GK3 with acoustic strings on a Godin before and there wasn't any problems.Thanks for the input in advance.
Duffy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:29:17 PM by Elantric »

Offline sixeight

« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2015, 08:00:11 AM »
Crafter TMVS. This is still my main guitar. Best compromise between acoustic and electric guitar sound. The combination of the ma28 model on the GP-10 and the piezo on this guitar still give the most satisfying acoustic tone. Tried the variax acoustic 700, but sold it again. Tried a Taylor T5 in a shop. Sounds similar to this guitar. But the Crafter has better looks.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 08:53:54 AM by sixeight »

Offline Elantric

« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2016, 11:02:50 AM »

But a few folks here use
Thomastik-Infeld KR116 Classical Guitar Strings: Classic N Series steel Rope Core Set W/Nylon Tape Trebles E, B, G, D, A, E Set - which allow Nylon string guitars to use GK-3 or FTP mag divided PU's

http://www.amazon.com/Thomastik-Infeld-KR116-Classical-Guitar-Strings/dp/B00162VU7I

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16921.msg121321#msg121321
One of the amazing things about the above mentioned Thomastic Infeld KR116 strings is that they have a steel rope core. This means they will work with conventional magnetic pickups, including Roland GK type pickups. I’ve also fitted these strings to my Glissentar which made a remarkable difference to the playability of the instrument. A Roland GK pickup can then be used on the Glissentar, it works perfectly, even if one of the dual course strings is slightly out of tune.

If you play Fretless Guitar Be sure to read
http://www.unfretted.com/fretless-guitar-neck-fingerboard-strings-and-other-hardware/

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2016, 06:13:23 AM »
I recently bought the GK GT3 Kit to fit into my Yamaha Acoustic that I bought around 1972 and the strings don't line up.
I've always said that my Yamaha plays better than my many electrics but now I know why, the strings are closer together.
There is only 3mm difference (electrics 52mm string to string) and my acoustic is 49mm but the difference trying to line up the pickup is massive.

So do Roland make a pickup that fits acoustics with the strings closer to each other?

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:48:25 AM by Elantric »

Offline gumbo

• Rating: 27
  • Changing the 13-pin interface - one Jack at a time
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2016, 06:54:31 AM »
To my knowledge, No..   :(

..try installing your pickup parallel to the bridge.. ;)

HTH
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2016, 09:31:41 AM »
To my knowledge, No..   :(

..try installing your pickup parallel to the bridge.. ;)

HTH
Peter

It was a good shout but no coconut

Offline Elantric

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:02:51 AM by Elantric »

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2016, 10:28:20 AM »
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

So basically it should work even if I've only got a little bit of the string going over the pole?
I don't want to butcher my beloved 44 year old Yamaha if it isn't going to work.

Offline Elantric

« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2016, 10:31:54 AM »
So basically it should work even if I've only got a little bit of the string going over the pole?

Correct , just compensate and balance the string volumes using the GK String Sensitivity controls on your GK Processor

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »
Correct , just compensate and balance the string volumes using the GK String Sensitivity controls on your GK Processor

thanks

Offline Elantric

« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2016, 11:36:32 AM »
 Also note that when mounting the GK pick up with cable emerging below the high E string in that manner will require the GK PU settings on your GK processor to be set to "reversed" and observe the multi colored wires are extremely fragile

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #88 on: September 25, 2016, 03:40:23 PM »
Also note that when mounting the GK pick up with cable emerging below the high E string in that manner will require the GK PU settings on your GK processor to be set to "reversed" and observe the multi colored wires are extremely fragile

Thanks again

Offline mooncaine

« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2016, 10:56:39 PM »
You might consider slanting it more, and maybe slanting the other way, so your high strings are on the part that's closest to the bridge.

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2016, 01:59:02 PM »
It's actually bad news, the pickup touches at least 3 of the strings and I can't adjust anything.

Offline Elantric

« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2016, 02:12:00 PM »
What specific make / model  hex PU are you using?

the old Yamaha G1D  (Axon AIX-103) has lowest profile height
https://www.manualowl.com/m/Yamaha/G1D/Manual/152435?page=4

full report
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

My 2 cents - using GK Processor (GR-55, GP-10, VG-99) with any Acoustic Guitar can be a daunting experience - and dont expect great results during DSP Alt Tuning for live use. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 02:48:41 PM by Elantric »

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2016, 05:54:44 AM »
What specific make / model  hex PU are you using?

My 2 cents - using GK Processor (GR-55, GP-10, VG-99) with any Acoustic Guitar can be a daunting experience - and dont expect great results during DSP Alt Tuning for live use.

Apologies I didn't reply sooner.
I've bought the GT3 kit for it but I'm now going to put it in a spare Strat I have.
I've also taken on board your experience with tracking and to be honest I don't think I can stand up and play an acoustic for 2 hours compared with an electric.
Sitting down it plays better than all my guitars but standing up I have to adjust my body and limbs a lot.

Thanks for all the advice.

Offline gumbo

« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2016, 08:10:03 AM »

Sitting down it plays better than all my guitars but standing up I have to adjust my body and limbs a lot.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yep, know what you mean about that...that's why I seem to have a houseful of Strats and my old jumbo 12-string is somewhere else..

Let us know how you get on with using the GK with the Strat.

Cheers,
Peter

Offline aardvark5

« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2017, 12:44:51 PM »
I decided not to ruin my Fenders but instead my mate has got loads of spare Fender parts and we threw this together one Sunday afternoon about 4 months ago. I've been gigging for 47 years and owned scores of guitars but this is the best guitar I've ever played. Having that guitar plus all the accurate sounds in the GR55 I'm now in guitar heaven.

I would still like to mount an Hex pickup on my acoustic, do you think if I mounted it on a plate over the soundhole it would function correctly?

Offline gumbo

« Reply #95 on: June 26, 2017, 05:44:22 PM »
...Distance from the bridge for the GK pickup is critical..
..my prediction is "No"..   :(

No doubt others will chime in..

Regards,
Peter

Offline gumtown

« Reply #96 on: June 26, 2017, 10:50:21 PM »
I would still like to mount an Hex pickup on my acoustic, do you think if I mounted it on a plate over the soundhole it would function correctly?
I will chime in and say mounting over the sound hole serves no use for a magnetic pickup, only an acoustic pickup.
Best mounted as close to the bridge as possible.

BTW: This might seem obvious,
but make sure your strings are not nylon, only steel or bronze strings work with magnetic pickups
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from http://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Offline Elantric

« Reply #97 on: June 26, 2017, 11:08:06 PM »
If you seek triggering synths with acoustic guitar as controller

Get a new computer and run Jam Origin MIDI Guitar app and trigger softsynths

Like Paul Dreissen

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7530.msg148102#msg148102

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:10:32 PM by Elantric »

Offline MrSparkle

« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
If you seek triggering synths with acoustic guitar as controller

Get a new computer and run Jam Origin MIDI Guitar app and trigger softsynths

Like Paul Dreissen

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7530.msg148102#msg148102

I've got to say that MIDI Guitar 2 is incredible.

I still like the 13-pin triggering for the alt. tunings and splitting outputs, but straight soft-ware MIDI conversion, it's right there. Pretty impressed he's just mic'ing the signal.