GK-3 & Acoustic Guitar?

Started by chamav, April 15, 2008, 01:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanMrMustard

Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of adding a gk3 pickup to one of my acoustics. I followed one thread that led me to the acoustic guitar forum. One post discussed the need to angle the gk pickup treble side closer to the bridge than the bass side of the pickup in order to have better tracking. Could someone elaborate as to the reasoning behind the need to angle the pickup? Why is it not best to have it parallel with the saddle and or bridge? Couldn't the need for this angle just be adjusted within the gr55 distance parameters?
Any thoughts concerning this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

datsunrobbie

MeanMrMustard,
I'd have to guess the pickup was angled to optimize positioning of the strings over the individual pickups in the GK pickup, but it would mess with the scale length. I've always set the GK pickup as close to parallel to the bridge as possible.

datsunrobbie

Quote from: mojo thorne on September 10, 2013, 10:54:50 AM
Ok... so I my new-ish GK-3 is arriving today, and I plan to put it on my Takamine acoustic.  I've already checked the clearance and I have plenty of room under the strings.  In fact, I may need to use some of the shims to raise it up a bit.

I'm curious as to tried and trusted means of attaching the controller to the body of an acoustic without using the mounting plate.  I'm not interested in putting a second strap pin in it just to attach the GK-3, and I want to ensure that whatever I use can eventually be removed without harming the finish on the surface of the guitar.  I'm leary of using velcro, only because the adhesive on the back of velcro is usually at least semi-permanent.

I've read a lot about people using the mounting tap or blue tack / elmers tack to mount the pickup on guitars, but has anyone used these to mount the controller as well?  If so, do you periodically remove and replace the tape/tack to ensure it stays put when in use? 

I'm equally concerned with protecting the finish and ensuring that I never have one or both parts come loose during a gig.

I don't know what it is made of, but on the back of the Sabine AX3000 tuners there is a "MagnaPad" that apparently uses magic to stick to the body of a guitar. The tuner has been out of production for years, but they show up on eBay fairly regularly. I really have no idea what the stuff on the back of the pickup is. What I do know is the stuff lasts for years, leaves no marks, and stays put until I want it to let go. I have one that is well over 10 years old and it still sticks great - and the tuner is still working perfectly. If anyone else has seen these tuners and knows what that stuff is, please post back - I'd love to find a sheet of that stuff.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SBNAX3000

mojo thorne

Actually, I went the blue tack route and it has worked very well so far.  I used a few dabs of that to mount the pickup, which worked well because it allowed me to  set the right pickup height at both ends quickly and easily.  It's not the most attractive thing (the globs are a little wider than the p/u itself), but it's fully functional which is all that I really care about.  I used the double sided tape and a few of the foam rubber pads that came with the GK-3 to mount the controller.

I've played with this guitar a lot over the last month or so and it's been working out really well.  I had read a lot online about people saying that phosphor bronze or coated strings wouldn't work well, but I'm getting pleasing results using the same Elixir Polyweb strings that I've been using for years.  I bought a couple of packs of DR Zebras when I got the GK-3 just to be covered, but haven't tried them yet.

One thing that someone mentioned on this forum was that people tend to listen with their eyes a lot.  I run my rig straight into the board, and I have indeed seen some confused faces when I've dropped a lead using one of the COSM guitars through an amp model on the GR-55.  I'm going to try an experiment at the next gig and set up in front of another band's gear to see if the mere presence of an amp makes any impact.

Elantric

QuoteI've always set the GK pickup as close to parallel to the bridge as possible.

Agreed.
Its important to follow the Roland GK3 mounting instructions and setup details in both the GK3 Manual and GR55 Manual.

Use the photos posted earlier in this thread for ideal GK-3 mounting on an Acoustic guitar. Observe they mount the GK-3 as close to the bridge as possible.

MeanMrMustard

Thanks for all the replies.

Has anyone used Velcro to mount the gk on an acoustic? I see that 3m makes a foam tape.
I know that what ever I use must be first of all removable, and second, be able to be built up enough to get it within the recommended distance from the strings. Can anyone share what is the best to use, as well as what not to use from prior experience? Some products may tout removability, but still might harm the soundboard surface. Can goo be gone hurt the finish?

Any thoughts would be appreciated
MeanMrMustard
MeanMrMustard

www.myspace.com/addisonbrady

timothybhewitt

Can anyone translate:
How is the GK module attached to the guitar?

and

How to deal with the PU being upside down?
GR-55 | RC-300 | Godin Multiac Spectrum Steel SA

timothybhewitt

Question #2 answered by looking at the GK-55 setup.  You can choose PU direction = Reverse.

Elantric

QuoteHow is the GK module attached to the guitar?

You can see some of the white double sided foam tape that holds the GK-3 Control box to the top of the Acoustic guitar here

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Urethane-4026-Neutral-16-inch/dp/B00006IF7L

timothybhewitt

Thanks again - You've been a great help to me!

Off to Home Depot tomorrow. :P

animo0001

Hi ! I've installed GK3 on my Tburton and have a question about the distance that should be betweeen strings and the pickup? Is it allowable that low E have a bigger distance than high E? Does it has influence on voice?

Machh_2

Very nice video and patches...

btw: very nice gears on the shelf behind him...

Elantric

QuoteHi ! I've installed GK3 on my Tburton and have a question about the distance that should be between strings and the pickup?
Is it allowable that low E have a bigger distance than high E?

Sure - this impacts the strings to string level  / sensitivity balance

more here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10302.msg74236#msg74236

QuoteDoes it has influence on voice?

No

animo0001

Thanks a lot ! The answer was very helpful  :)

Elantric

Unboxing of the new Boss GP-10 Guitar Effects Processor and installation of the GK-3 pickup on an acoustic electric guitar.

duffy

Hey guys has anyone used the GR55 with a GK3 on an acoustic guitar? Say something like a OOO Martin.I think it should work but I'm just checking.I used the GK3 with acoustic strings on a Godin before and there wasn't any problems.Thanks for the input in advance.
Duffy

sixeight

Crafter TMVS. This is still my main guitar. Best compromise between acoustic and electric guitar sound. The combination of the ma28 model on the GP-10 and the piezo on this guitar still give the most satisfying acoustic tone. Tried the variax acoustic 700, but sold it again. Tried a Taylor T5 in a shop. Sounds similar to this guitar. But the Crafter has better looks.

Elantric

But a few folks here use
Thomastik-Infeld KR116 Classical Guitar Strings: Classic N Series steel Rope Core Set W/Nylon Tape Trebles E, B, G, D, A, E Set - which allow Nylon string guitars to use GK-3 or FTP mag divided PU's

http://www.amazon.com/Thomastik-Infeld-KR116-Classical-Guitar-Strings/dp/B00162VU7I

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16921.msg121321#msg121321
One of the amazing things about the above mentioned Thomastic Infeld KR116 strings is that they have a steel rope core. This means they will work with conventional magnetic pickups, including Roland GK type pickups. I've also fitted these strings to my Glissentar which made a remarkable difference to the playability of the instrument. A Roland GK pickup can then be used on the Glissentar, it works perfectly, even if one of the dual course strings is slightly out of tune.

If you play Fretless Guitar Be sure to read
http://www.unfretted.com/fretless-guitar-neck-fingerboard-strings-and-other-hardware/

aardvark5

I recently bought the GK GT3 Kit to fit into my Yamaha Acoustic that I bought around 1972 and the strings don't line up.
I've always said that my Yamaha plays better than my many electrics but now I know why, the strings are closer together.
There is only 3mm difference (electrics 52mm string to string) and my acoustic is 49mm but the difference trying to line up the pickup is massive.

So do Roland make a pickup that fits acoustics with the strings closer to each other?

gumbo

To my knowledge, No..   :(

..try installing your pickup parallel to the bridge.. ;)

HTH
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aardvark5

Quote from:  gumbo on September 25, 2016, 05:54:31 AM
To my knowledge, No..   :(

..try installing your pickup parallel to the bridge.. ;)

HTH
Peter

It was a good shout but no coconut

Elantric

aardvark5

Quote from:  Elantric on September 25, 2016, 08:47:57 AM
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=41

So basically it should work even if I've only got a little bit of the string going over the pole?
I don't want to butcher my beloved 44 year old Yamaha if it isn't going to work.

Elantric

QuoteSo basically it should work even if I've only got a little bit of the string going over the pole?

Correct , just compensate and balance the string volumes using the GK String Sensitivity controls on your GK Processor