GR-55 - Multi Control Patch

Started by Jim Williams, March 31, 2012, 06:33:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Here is a patch that experimented with some new control ideas I had. it is your basic Rock Marshal sound but I made some intresting controls in it.
1. when the Expression pedal switch is off and you rock the Expression pedal all the back and forward again it turns the chorus on and off.
2. when you roll off the GK volume and back again it turns the delay on and off
3. the CTL pedal is just a basic solo switch
4. the Expression switch is a regular run of the mill MOD switch for the Wha

So that is a total of 5 different controls in the same patch. This is just an exsample to show you how to get some more control options from the GR-55. take a good look at the "ACT RANGE HI" and the "ACT RANGE LO" settings if you want to create controls like thease in some of your patches.

===

* GR-55 CONTROL ASSIGN PROBLEMS?
Some of the factory Preset patches in the GR-55 have the CTL pedal and/or EXP SW assigned to control various functions,
An assignment of this nature can make it appear that User parameters are not being stored in a patch.
To turn off the pre-assigned CTL and/or EXP SW functions, follow these steps:

1. Select the desired User patch.

2. Press the EDIT button.

3. Press PAGE left or right to select the MASTER tab, and then press ENTER.

4. Cursor left to "PEDAL/GK CTL," and then press ENTER.

5. Cursor down to "CTL FUNCTION," and then turn the dial counterclockwise to select "OFF."

6. Press PAGE right to select the EXP SW tab.

7. Cursor down to "EXP SW FUNCTION," and then turn the dial counterclockwise to select "OFF."

8. Save this new setting into the patch by pressing WRITE twice.

Note: Some patches may also contain assignments in the ASSIGN section that can effect custom stored parameters. If the above steps don't help with your patch, go to the ASSIGN menu, turn off each assignment in the patch, and then save the settings

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

tekrytor

Great patch Jim! I love that nice crunchy Marshall sound you have on it. I will check out the controls. I think I have some conflicting global settings maybe, because my GK-Knob does not seem to be working for me entirely as described. Checking...
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Jim Williams

I'm glad you like the patch, I wasn't after a great sounding patch I just wanted to share some new ideas for controllers. The GR-55 is pretty limited in that department and it helps to explore some other options, especially if you are like me and use only the GR-55 live. I do have other stuff like the VG-99 but if I use that live I have to bring my laptop for synth sounds and that is too much setup time for me.

deano

Hi Jim

I am also striving to purely use the GR55 Live, with some success. Clever management of patches, switches and quick feet. Interesting when you are also doing lead vocals ;D.

Have you managed to be able to get two different amp tones within a single patch yet?  If so, could you share some knowledge on that please.

I bought a Tech 21 Power Engine after reading one of your post's. Totally brilliant.

Thanks in advance

Deano

Jim Williams

Hi Deano I'm glad I could help. If you want 2 amp tones at the same time it is not difficult. Rout your normal pickups through your amp/mod and rout your COSM guitar through your MFX. Select Guitar amp simulator for your MFX. The amp sim in MFX is weak but usable with some tweaking. you can pan each amp and use your delay to give the effect of 2 guitar players. I will make a quick demo and post the patch in Other in the GR-55 guitar mode patch section.

deano

Hi Jim

Just seen, heard mp3  and downloaded the patch. Very Cool.

Certainly opens up a chain of thought for me.

Thanks for such a quick response.

Deano

paults

The "two guitars at once" patches in the below thread also use the combination of Normal/Amp Model and COSM/MFX (Jim - running them Left and Right is a great idea, if you run in stereo):

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4469.0 

Elantric

Deacon Blue

Came across this video from Dan Doiron which I thought was interesting regarding the EXP pedal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yXGMHHKo5c&feature=player_detailpage

East Coast Blues Sensation Dan Doiron shows how to quickly assign multiple effects parameters to the GR-55's Expression Pedal. This feature is also found on the BOSS GT-100.
"When your project isn't working, look for the part that you didn't think was important"
www.Bandmix.com/katylyst