Author Topic: Godin XTSA  (Read 37368 times)

Offline metale

Re: Godin XTSA
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »
Hi everyone.

I'm trading a guita for a ~2005 xTSA. Not so much for the synth capabilities (as I have no synth gear or desire to spend on one) but because it seems like a quality guitar and I like the design. The piezo should be nice, too.

Background: I always tweak the electronics, install pickups and try to improve wiring. Could really use that 3rd pot and 2 toggle slots for the magnetic pickups's wiring.

My question, is the piezo stuff independent from the synth stuff? Can I remove the synth board, etc to make room for the eventual push-pull pot and leave the piezo working?

50s wiring, CTS pots, PIO caps... I'm already drolling :D

Regards

Online admsustainiac

« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:51:10 AM by admsustainiac »

Offline TheParasite

• Contributing Member
  • Rating: 2
  • WHAT? No KISS icon??
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
ELANTIC wrote:  My first order of business was modifying ALL GR-55 User Presets to enable the use of the Godin's Normal pickups and enable use of the three way "Guitar / Mix / Synth" switch

Are you saying that you enabled each and every patch...as in all 120 of the stock patches?

Godin XTSa (a pretty one)

Online admsustainiac

« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2017, 04:14:13 PM »
ELANTIC wrote:  My first order of business was modifying ALL GR-55 User Presets to enable the use of the Godin's Normal pickups and enable use of the three way "Guitar / Mix / Synth" switch

Are you saying that you enabled each and every patch...as in all 120 of the stock patches?

Correct - because normal PU's are "OFF" by design  on all but three factory presets  - which are copied in the GR-55 User program area, where these can be edited./
the Factory GR-55 presets are frozen and can not be edited  / altered

read

GR-55 F.A.Q.
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3137

* How to enable "Normal Guitar Pickups" and make the GK-3 Guitar/Mix/Synth three-way switch work with the GR-55:
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3402.0

Make your "Guitar/Mix/Synth" Switch work with GR-55 Work (step by step)
The first headache every new  GR-55 owner may experience is getting the guitar mounted three way Guitar/Mix/GK Synth switch on his 13 pin preamp by Roland, RMC, Ghost, etc  to work and allow the Normal pickups to heard !
To debug achieving Normal Guitar PU Sound with one 13 pin cable feeding the GR-55 , First Try these Factory GR-55 Presets which already have the normal PU enabled  - your Normal Guitar pickups should be heard when you move the guitar mounted three way"Guitar/mix/Synth" switch to Guitar and have Guitar volume turned up.
On the GR-55, Select the "Lead" style. Then select these presets:
GR-55 LEAD Preset 30-1 For Normal PU L1 = for Normal PU L1
GR-55 LEAD Preset 30-2 For Normal PU L2 = for Normal PU L2
GR-55 LEAD Preset 30-3 For Normal PU L3 = for Normal PU L3

If you do not hear your normal guitar sound using these patches above, there is a problem with either your guitar, GK-3 Installation, or you forgot to use the short 1/4" cable between your guitar and the GK-3 1/4" Input jack, or you have  a bad 13 pin cable - or there is a GR-55 Control Assignment which is blocking the Normal Guitar Audio

Roland ships recent GK13 processors (VG-99, GR-55) with half baked "Factory presets" that lack proper support for GK-3 Three way mix switch. This is a major pain and every GR-55 user who wants the GK-3 Three way mix switch to work must manually reprogram EVERY PRESET!

Roland ships great hardware bogged down by very sloppy Burned into ROM Factory presets that frankly should never have existed, Id gladly give them all up to free up more memory space for my own presets that allow the GK-3 Three way mix switch to actually work for Normal pickups too.

Next post is related to the above,

* Roland US-20 A/B Selector BUG (Importance of GK-VOL Assignment)
http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2246.0

How to make the GK-3 three-way switch work like the GR-20, when connected to the GR-55:

Paults wrote>
1) Go to System

PEDAL/GK CTL (enter)

Tab over to VOL
    If you want to be able to hear the normal guitar when your switch is in the "GUITAR" position, change GK VOL to "TONE VOLUME", and turn NORMAL PU "OFF".  With the switch in MIX, you'll hear both the GK knob output, and your normal guitar output, with independent control for each.  In GK position, you'll just hear COSM/PCM sounds, and in GUITAR, just the normal guitar.

The other advantage to "TONE VOLUME" is it lets the guitar models be much more responsive and expressive.

The GK settings can also be changed per patch, but this is based on the factory settings. I'm used to having my VG set up this way, so this setting may stay global for me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:17:08 PM by admsustainiac »

Offline TheParasite

• Contributing Member
  • Rating: 2
  • WHAT? No KISS icon??
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
I've read those.  I was just going back through them earlier and was astounded you had the patience to do that for all the patches.
Godin XTSa (a pretty one)

Blog