VG-99 + external MIDI sound module: Tips & Tricks

Started by ddlooping, September 05, 2010, 06:06:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddlooping

Hi all :)

I'd thought we could share some tips & tricks regrading using the VG-99 with an external MIDI sound module (in my case, the Roland XV-5050).
I'll start with...

I) Comping Piano parts (ex: "Somewhere Only We Know" - Keane)

In a nutshell:
- Mute the strings you do not need by turning their "Receive MIDI messages" to Off on the sound module
- Still on the sound module, limit the range of playable notes (on non-muted string) by using the "Key Range Lower"and "Key Range Upper" settings
- On the sound module, turn the "Receive MIDI Bend messages" off
- Set the VG-99 MIDI "Chromatic" setting to Off

The latter is an important part of the trick.
Because "Chromatic" is set to "Off", the VG-99 will send "Bend" MIDI messages to the MIDI sound module whenever you transition from one chord to the next (unless your transitions are perfect, with no fingers-sliding-on-strings noises).
But the XV-5050 (as explained further down) is set to ignore "Bend" MIDI messages, so you can play a note and literally slide it up and down the neck and only this note will sound. :D

1) VG-99 - "Guitar to MIDI" settings:
- Mode: mono (1 MIDI channel per string)
- Play Feel: 3 (can be changed to accommodate your playing style)
- Chromatic: Off

2) XV-5050 settings:
- Performance mode (multi-timbral): the Performance is composed of 6 identical Piano patches (1 per string)

MIDI settings:
- Midi channel 1 (high E string) - RX Switch (whether the channel receive MIDI messages): Off
- Midi channel 2 to 4 - RX Switch: On
- Midi channel 5 - RX Switch: Off
- Midi channel 6 - (low E string) RX Switch: On

- Midi channel 2 to 4, 6 - RX Bender  (whether the channel receive MIDI "Bend" messages): Off << that's what get rid of "ghost" notes when you transition from one chord to another, :)

Common settings (each Part is associated with the same MIDI channel number):
- Part 1 (not used)
- Part 2 - "Key Range Lower" (any notes lower than this one will not sound): D 4
- Part 2 - "Key Range Upper" (any notes higher than this one will not sound): B 4
- Part 3 - "Key Range Lower": A 3
- Part 3 - "Key Range Upper": F# 4
- Part 4 - "Key Range Lower": D 3
- Part 4 - "Key Range Upper": B 4
- Part 5 - (not used)
- Part 6 - "Key Range Lower": G 2
- Part 6 - "Key Range Upper": G 2 (as both values are identical, only this note - G 2 - will sound when played on this string)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)