Digitech - SDRUM

Started by myksara, September 20, 2017, 10:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myksara

Has anyone tried the Digitech SDRUM? How does it compare to the beatbuddy? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24900033/

StormJH1 wrote>
QuotePlayed again yesterday and it was probably my best experience with the SDRUM so far. I'm still preferring the pads to the guitar strum - not because the latter doesn't work (it does), but just because I have a little more practice using tap pads to program a simple beat in a desktop or iPad DAW versus strumming a drum rhythm on guitar. Where the SDRUM design is really genius is that non-drummers like myself can pretty quickly pick up a sense of the interplay between kick and snare drums in a rhythm pattern, but asking us to also figure out what to do with hats, toms, etc. is just too much. I came up with a pretty good variety of simple 2-bar patterns in my head yesterday, and it was like the SDRUM knew what I was doing before I did.

The creation of choruses automatically is a big improvement over the TRIO, also. With the TRIO, I think the idea was that you could just train 1-3 "parts" for a song, so you could make your own verse, chorus, and bridge. But trying to train the pedal three separate times to get rhythm and bass parts that sounded like they belonged in the same song...I found that exceedingly difficult. I much prefer how this is handled in the SDRUM, where it just creates the chorus as a slightly busier and more intense variance of the verse, and you get additional choices to switch in different hat and drum patterns.

The intensity LED's seem like a subtle thing, but they're not. Some songs have loud, intense choruses, while other may have a bunch of rides and other things going on constantly, but not necessarily with additional intensity. This is all additional control you didn't really have in the TRIO, and it helps the SDRUM produce much more "human" feeling accompaniment.

Oh, and I also used the AUX IN jack to receive a flat mono signal from the SDRUM, and I think if you have that option in a combo amp, that's really the preferred way to go. My amp is the Katana 100 and it's just a perfect companion for this at home, but it's much more liberating to have the SDRUM split out separately to the auxillary output and not worry about the effect of reverb, drive, or other effects on the amp on my drum sound.

Elantric

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209709790012636&set=gm.313302139143735&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Richard Martocchio‎ wrote>

My Cerberus arrived today. I put together this small board out of a piece of Paduak and some white oak that I had laying around. It's very heavy, but it's only meant for my studio anyway.
After the Cerberus arrived and I put it and the Atomic Ampli-Firebox on it, I realized they were meant to go together. They fit perfectly and they work very well together.
The OD and Drive sections go into the Atomic and then into the front of my Bugera head. The effects of the Cerberus are in the loop of the head. \ll/  :)

Elantric

suggest download ALL Digitech apps & Editors & Librarians

I expect things will go dark by July 1, 2018

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26466020/

QuoteTom Von Kramm said: ↑
Our Harman Canada Engineers who developed the SDRUM also clandestinely included the ability to sync MIDI devices to the SDRUM via the JamSync connector. The SDRUM must be the master since it only sends these MIDI commands.

carlb

Often, if nothing else is giving me the feel I'm looking for the Digitech SDRUM allows me to get something close to what I need.
https://www.digitech.com/band-creator/DIGSDRUM-V-04.html

You can either hit the pads on the front, or train it to your guitar "chunkas" - lows are kicks, highs are snare hits. The box then figures out the rest for you based on the knob settings for styling and meter.

Pros are just how intuitive it is to start working with and getting something pretty decent. 36 tracks with three sections each. I've been able to do separate meter (4/4, 3/4) for different song sections.

Cons are:

• It's not super intuitive to figure out more involved workings (change between songs, record song sections, re-record sections) - you have to RTM.
  • You can't record 'stems' of the kick, snare, rest of kit, it's just one output. (It has stereo output, so maybe two channels?)
  • You can't match an exact tempo if you erase a track. (At least I haven't been able to. Tough if you want to try some other feel out.)
  • Too easy to mess-up a track and not be able to get back.
  • You can't download/upload tracks. (The USB is for new software downloads - which I don't think there has been any.)
  • You can try playing along to a metronome, but the SDRUM won't exactly match it (that I've found). The Trio+ does a bit better at this.
  • It has a synch out, but no synch-in - and the Trio+ has no sync-in. Dang!
For messing up a track - the SDRUM does allow you to copy your track to other tracks. Think I need to start copying/pasting tracks before any heavy editing.

ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker