FENDER - Mustang GT/ Mustang GTX Amp FAQ

Started by admin, May 01, 2017, 02:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Mustang GT Firmware Version Release Notes

Version 1.4.19 (Sept 13, 2017)

On start-up, the Mustang GT will now load the last used preset rather than defaulting to preset 1.
Added a gain control for USB audio recording in the AMP SETTINGS menu.
Added a PRESET ORGANIZER menu item and moved the CLEAR PRESET and RESTORE PRESETS options into this menu.
Added a MOVE PRESET option in the PRESET ORGANIZER menu.
Added wrap around functionality to the SAVE AS preset list.
Fixed issue where the amp would reset to preset 1 issue after clicking Bluetooth RENAME in the menu.
Fixed issue with Global EQ settings not being sent to the Tone app resulting in differences between amp and app displays.
Fixed issue with Fuzz stompbox model where the Octave control was non-functional.
Fixed issue with the 60's British amp model where the Cut control was non-functional.
Fixed issue with '59 Bassman amp model where limited number of cabinet models were available. All 16 cabinet models are now available.
Implemented enhancements to LOOPER.
Implemented enhancements to SETLISTS.
Various other bug fixes and enhancements.
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003516523

admin

Click here, for complete instructions on how to update the firmware of your Mustang GT amplifier.
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003535806

Version 1.5.20 (Oct 9, 2017)

New Effect Models (9)
Fender Harmonic Tremolo: Straight from the great Fender "Brownface" amps of the early 1960s, this tremolo effect alternately emphasizes high and low frequencies for a distinctively swishing and almost phaser-like sound
EQ 5 Graphic: Inspired by the EQ from the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ amp, this five-band EQ is specifically voiced for guitar
EQ 7 Graphic: Inspired by the Boss GE-7 pedal, this seven-band pedal EQ is voiced specifically for guitar, with fine sonic tailoring
EQ Parametric: Three-band equalizer with parametric mid control, ideal for dialing in an exact mid-boost frequency for solos or for creating deliberate feedback
Vibe Unit: Inspired by the classic pulse of a Uni-Vibe pedal
Octobot: A distinctive octaver effect with prominent one-octave-down plus subtle one-octave-up capabilities for otherworldly "synthesized" tones
Envelope Filter: Automatic wah effect inspired by the temple-of-funk 1970s popularity of the mighty Mu-Tron III pedal
Round Fuzz: Inspired by the 1969 silicon-transistor version of the venerable Fuzz Face distortion unit
VariFuzz: A Fender-created fuzz effect similar to Round Fuzz, with the addition of variable tight-to-loose bass tonality
Improved Bluetooth connectivity for devices running Android version 6.0.1
Improved parameter sensitivity for several amp models and effects
Fixed issue with 60's British amp model where Bright Switch appeared to be non-functional. This is a subtle effect that selects between Normal & Top Boost channels.

Spider

Still Vox is a winner or GT series is on good way?

Spider

Quote from:  Elantric on October 20, 2017, 02:44:08 PM
For small home practice amp - much prefer the Vox Adio

For affordable gigging amp - much prefer katana

Bummer... I have only GT40 :)

Elantric

>:(
Quote from: Spider on October 21, 2017, 02:40:20 AM
Bummer... I have only GT40 :)

I admit I still have a Mustang GT-40, but I report findings after I perform update to latest  firmware 

admin

Mustang GT amps prone to Hijacking
https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/hijacking-rick-rolling-a-smart-guitar-amp/
Hijacking & rick rolling a smart guitar amp

Chris Pritchard
26 Feb 2018

A few weeks back I spotted that two guitar amplifier manufacturers were introducing some smart features, controllable via Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.

First I found what has to be the most ridiculous 'vulnerability' in a Fender Mustang GT 100 amp: it acts as a Bluetooth audio device. There is no pairing security, so anyone at the gig you're playing at can stream arbitrary audio to it and hijack your amp output.

Yes, seriously. It was so ridiculous that I made a video of one of my colleagues rick rolling me:

This is nuts. This is marketed as a gigging amp!

The Bluetooth ID is 'Mustang GT', though anyone using this amp to play live would be well advised to turn Bluetooth off as below. Of course, that then stops you using the smart features that are the key to this amp. More on those in a moment...

Now, after picking ourselves up after laughing at the stupidity of the rick roll feature, we moved on to more involved hacks

Ruining a gig
If you really want to ruin a guitarists gig, it's possible to interfere with the sound presets that the amp offers. The mobile app interacts with the amp over BLE (separately to the Bluetooth audio feature) and allows you to download sound presets from other famous guitarists. A nice idea!

You can also create and name your own presets. It's even possible to create a complete set list, with presets for each song on that list.

So, did Fender include any permissions based security for the sound preset feature?

Guess what: no authentication or permissions around pushing a new sound preset to the amp.

Here's a video showing it:

Method 1: simply push a new sound preset to the amp over BLE. In the video I've pushed it to 'Purple Fuzz' to screw up the sound of the guitar, but I could do a lot worse.

Method 2: mute the app by turning the 'tuning' function on. No-one wants to listen to people tuning their guitar, so the amp auto-mutes. That's your gig over!

A bit more silliness to finish off
The mobile app allows you to name new sound presets and upload them to the Fender Tone website for anyone else to use.

The app filters out offensive names:

The list of filtered words was a bit pathetic, though we did laugh at it. I've never heard of a donkeyribber!

BUT all the swear-filtering is done client-side so it's trivial to bypass, like this:

Marshall smart amp
I had a quick look over the Marshall's Code 50 amp
https://marshall.com/marshall-amps/products/amps/code/code50
which has similar features. However, I found it to be pretty good security-wise by comparison. Whilst I could modify the sound presets, I had to pair with the amp first. After the paired device was disconnected, Bluetooth and BLE were automatically switched off. Much more secure.

Disclosure
We don't consider any of the above to be security flaws. They're features that could be abused, though they could really mess up someone's set at a gig.

Advice
Guitarists: Turn Bluetooth off when you're not using it.

Fender: come on – implement some simple pairing security. Even a button press on the amp to put it in pairing mode for a short period would be a step in the right direction.

And for you lovers of hacking and live music, please let us know if you see 'Mustang GT' on the list of available Bluetooth devices at the next gig you go to. No rick rolling though!

Further BLE reading
For more on BLE my colleague Dave's how-to on manipulating BLE with Frida is really useful.

https://www.pentestpartners.com/security-blog/reverse-engineering-ble-from-android-apps-with-frida/

admin

https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003516523-Mustang-GT-Firmware-Version-Release-Notes

Click here, for complete instructions on how to update the firmware of your Mustang GT amplifier.

Version 1.6.36 (March 21, 2018)

Added a fix where renaming a preset in Tone would not update the current 
preset on the amp 

Added a fix so the amp correctly updates it's empty presets list after saving 
an empty preset on the amp

Version 1.6.32 (March 6, 2018)

Bluetooth speed and response time improvements in the Fender Tone app 

Improved Tuner stability on the amp 

Added support for auditioning Tone community presets (Fender Tone for 
iOS only) 

Removed noise on looper wraparound 

Various other bug fixes 

New Effect Models (9)
Fender Harmonic Tremolo: Straight from the great Fender "Brownface" amps of the early 1960s, this tremolo effect alternately emphasizes high and low frequencies for a distinctively swishing and almost phaser-like sound
EQ 5 Graphic: Inspired by the EQ from the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ amp, this five-band EQ is specifically voiced for guitar
EQ 7 Graphic: Inspired by the Boss GE-7 pedal, this seven-band pedal EQ is voiced specifically for guitar, with fine sonic tailoring
EQ Parametric: Three-band equalizer with parametric mid control, ideal for dialing in an exact mid-boost frequency for solos or for creating deliberate feedback
Octobot: A distinctive octaver effect with prominent one-octave-down plus subtle one-octave-up capabilities for otherworldly "synthesized" tones
Envelope Filter: Automatic wah effect inspired by the temple-of-funk 1970s popularity of the mighty Mu-Tron III pedal
Round Fuzz: Inspired by the 1969 silicon-transistor version of the venerable Fuzz Face distortion unit
VariFuzz: A Fender-created fuzz effect similar to Round Fuzz, with the addition of variable tight-to-loose bass tonality
Fixed issue with 60's British amp model where Bright Switch appeared to be non-functional. This is a subtle effect that selects between Normal & Top Boost channels.

Version 1.4.21 (Sept,18, 2017)

Fixed issue to avoid rare startup condition which could lead to loss of user presets.
Improved parameter sensitivity for several amp models.

On start-up, the Mustang GT will now load the last used preset rather than defaulting to preset 1.
Added a PRESET ORGANIZER menu item and moved the CLEAR PRESET and RESTORE PRESETS options into this menu.
Fixed issue where the amp would reset to preset 1 issue after clicking Bluetooth RENAME in the menu.
Fixed issue with Global EQ settings not being sent to the Tone app resulting in differences between amp and app displays.
Fixed issue with Fuzz stompbox model where the Octave control was non-functional.
Fixed issue with the 60's British amp model where the Cut control was non-functional.
Fixed issue with '59 Bassman amp model where limited number of cabinet models were available. All 16 cabinet models are now available.

Version 1.3.5 (Aug 02, 2017)

Fixed an issue preventing access to the firmware update servers.

Version 1.2.25 (Jun 27, 2017)

Added Aux In / Bluetooth Volume Control as a menu option. The default volume setting is now "Master". Note that this setting is different from the current functionality. With this setting the Aux In / Bluetooth volume is controlled by the front panel master volume control. The user can return to the existing functionality by setting the menu option to "Normal". Additionally, there are two more options, "High" and "Low", which allow for further customization of the maximum volume setting.
Added a two-step verification process for Bluetooth audio pairing.
Added a few new Global EQ settings including Guitar Focus 1 and Guitar Focus 2.
Added footswitch support for Setlists. After selecting a Setlist in the menu, the user can now change presets in the list from the footswitch.
Added a menu option to disable the looper access from the footswitch.
Added "empty" presets in all unoccupied memory locations. All 200 locations will now show Fender factory presets, user presets or "empty" presets.
Added a "CLEAR PRESET" option in the main menu. After clearing a preset it will show as "empty".
Added a "SAVE AS" preset option in the save menu to allow the user to save a preset in any of the 200 memory locations. A blue list item means the slot is "empty" and a red list item means that a preset already exists in that location.
Changed the cloud preset "SAVE" functionality to the above "SAVE AS" functionality.
Added Encoder scrolling acceleration when scrolling through the 200 presets.
All Cabinets are now available to all Amp Models.
Added the option to Rename a Setlist in the Setlist edit menu.
Fixed the DELETE SETLIST and DELETE PRESET bug in a Setlist.
EXP-1 Global settings are now saved when cycling power

Version 1.1.2 (May 16th 2017)

Added a hotfix that gracefully handles an issue where the amp may not find compatible WiFi networks and may get stuck on the network loading screen
Various bug fixes and enhancements

Version 1.1.0 (May 5th 2017)

Added full support for the Fender Tone App
Added the functionality to retrieve presets directly from the Cloud
Added the Shimmer Reverb effect and 2 Factory presets using this effect
Added support for using the FX Loop as a mono loop
Added visual indicators to the footswitch display for each of the Looper Modes.
Fixed Looper audio clicks

Version 1.0.38 (First Production Run)

Initial release

admin

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=110044&sid=70b5289a66993f5d2865eb8de9487b04

Firmware release notes say that the reliability of the footswitch is improved. I can confirm the looper works better than it did.

Android app notes say that Bluetooth connectivity is improved, and it is!

Also says 'Redesigned and simplified on-boarding experience'...not sure what that means

Also 'Bug fixes and general stability improvements'. However, the issue with the parameters jumping to 10 is still there, and the issue where patches get renamed is still there.

admin

admin

https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003516523-Mustang-GT-Firmware-Version-Release-Notes
Version 3.0.31 (March 18, 2020)

New Amp and Cabinet Models:
Blues Junior: Based on the highly popular warm-toned, moderately powered 1x12" Fender combo with overdrive and FAT switch
Vibro-King: Modern Fender classic with touch-sensitive dynamics and distinctive natural overdrive
JC-120 Clean: Based on the super-bright clean channel of the classic Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus
Jubilee Clean: Based on the clean channel of the Marshall Silver Jubilee 50-watt head
Jubilee Rhythm: Based on the Marshall Silver Jubilee 50-watt head with rhythm clip switch engaged
Jubilee Lead: Based on the lead channel of the Marshall Silver Jubilee 50-watt head
Uber: Ideal for heavy, aggressive music as inspired by the super-high-gain lead channel of the Bogner Uberschall head
'65 Super Reverb: Mid-'60s Fender with the distinctive snap of four 10" speakers

New Effects:
Ram Fuzz: Distortion effect inspired by the Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (Ram's Head model)
Russian Fuzz: Same as "Ram Fuzz" above, but based on the Russian-made version of the 1990s
Tube OD: Distortion effect inspired by the B.K. Butler Tube Driver
4-Knob Flanger: Based on the MXR M117 Flanger
JC Chorus: Based on the bucket-brigade analog chorus of the classic Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus amplifier
JC Vibrato: inspired by the Roland JC-120 amp's onboard vibrato effect
Space Delay: Based on the beloved Roland RE-201 Space
EchoTape Plex: Faithful recreation of the Maestro Echoplex EP-3 echo
Pedal Shift: Based on pitch-shift functions of the DigiTech Whammy pedal; best when used with EXP-1 Expression Pedal
Pedal Harmony: Based on harmonizer functions of the DigiTech Whammy pedal; best when used with EXP-1 Expression Pedal
Pedal Detune: Based on detuning functions of the DigiTech Whammy pedal; best when used with EXP-1 Expression Pedal
Support for a new 7 button footswitch: GTX-7

Known issues (check back for a future fix)
iOS 13.x users: there is a Tone/amp connection issue that can be avoided by making the connection between the Tone app and your amp FIRST before connecting your phone to your amp for bluetooth audio streaming.

Quote from: riffy, post: 26752957, member: 812I have started testing beta firmware for the Mustang GT series. I got it all set up last night.
I somehow lost two hours just playing with one amp that is in the new firmware. I got lost again earlier today for almost 2 hours again. I was playing at volume and all I can say is WOW! It is really good. I mean really good!

I have a gig tonight and I am using the GT for it. The bar fits about 300 people and we expect it to be pretty packed, I am going out of the XLRs into the PA and going to use the GT100 set up behind me for a stage monitor, using all it's modeling. I will take a small pedalboard with me. That is just as a woobie for me....LOL

I really think everyone will like this 2.0 release!
Is the Beta 2.0 firmware available for download?

https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=110194&sid=c83533157cae55e9fadd76bf8abbb6e1

admin

Fender apparently is now stating to beta testers Mustang GT Firmware 2.0 will not be available until September 2018
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/26730717/
https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=110157

admin

Finally found time to update the firmware on my Mustang GT 40 to the latest firmware (which is 1.6.37) and it's a much improved user experience.

Hint - after updating firmware , i turn off the amp, then locate the three black momentary switches next to the LCD display and only hold the upper and lower black switches to enter a test mode while powering on
Reveals TEST MODE and
mustang gt 40
cpurate(khz): 99600
cpuTemp(mC): 63671 (nominal)

Then power off and re- power On normally without holding any front panel switches, but my MS4 footswitch connected with a 20ft TS Cable

Results?
Finally there is  repeatability and reliability for the 4 button Fender footswitch ( using a MS4) very repeatable operation .
( thats new)

And I've connected Mustang GT 40 via Bluetooth to my LG V20 Android 7 smartphone with the Fender Tone Android app -  all is working well

Damn shame that the Mustang GT amps didn't drop with this version 1.6.37 firmware when they were initially released,  because it has been a bumpy / buggy painful ride prior to this point

Very much looking forward to the new  2.0 firmware with improved Amp modeling / cab selection  in October 2018

admin

Fender TONE Editor for Mustang GT
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fender.tone&referrer=utm_source%253DFender.com%252520link%2526utm_medium%253Dbanner%2526utm_term%253Dfender.com%25252Fapps%25252Ftone-app-amp-controller%25252F
Updated
October 3, 2018
Size
64M
Installs
10,000+
Current Version

https://itunes.apple.com/app/apple-store/id1174113426?mt=8&at=1001lnRX&ct=hawk-7423452670714452847

The ultimate companion app to the new Fender® Mustang ™ GT and Rumble ™ Stage and Studio amplifiers, the Fender Tone app uses your iPhone to connect to your amp, so you can edit, share or send presets to your amp wirelessly over Bluetooth®.

*** THIS APP REQUIRES A FENDER® MUSTANG™ GT OR RUMBLE ™ AMP ***

MANAGE PRESETS ON YOUR MUSTANG GT OR RUMBLE AMP

• Scroll through up to 200 presets.
• Make changes.
• Play it real-time through your connected Mustang™ GT or Rumble ™ amp.

EASY EDITING WITH THE TONE APP

• More than 60 amp models and effects to choose from.
• Endless sound  options for Mustang™ GT or Rumble ™ amps.
• Intuitive interface & responsive design for easy modification.

10,000+ PRESETS

• Search, browse and download over 10,000+ presets from the Tone community.
• Discover presets by well-known artists & players created exclusively for Fender Tone.
• Create your own custom tone and share your presets with others.

TONE TIPS

• Tips and info about amp models, effects details, signal chain basics
• Clear, illustrated walkthroughs and everything you need to begin your tone quest.

admin

Now Available
https://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=106757
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/27099148/
--
Mustang GT Release Notes

Version 2.0.21 (September 5, 2018)
New Amp Models (10)
IIC+ Clean: Inspired by the clean channel of the Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+MB.
IIC+ Lead: Quintessential mid-'80s metal tones inspired by the Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+MB lead channel.
BB15 Low: Based on the low gain structure setting of the Bassbreaker 15.
BB15 Med: Based on the medium gain structure setting of the Bassbreaker 15.
BB15 High: Based on the high gain structure setting of the Bassbreaker 15.
FBE-100: Inspired by both lead channels (BE and HBE) of the Friedman BE-100.
Acoustasonic: For use with piezo-equipped electric/acoustic guitars. Based on the preamp of Fender's award-winning Acoustasonic amps; flexible string-dynamics feature with selectable notch frequency.
Acoustic Sim: Six distinctive acoustic guitar simulations for transforming electric guitar with great-sounding acoustic tone. Paired with Acoustasonic preamp for additional tone shaping.
Dual Showman: Based on the '60s/'70s all-tube Fender classic used on big stages everywhere.
Tube Preamp: Direct-to-mixing-desk studio purity with increased tube console-like harmonic coloration
New Effects (7)
Modulated Small Hall Reverb: Builds on Fender's Small Hall Reverb by adding lush modulation to internal reverb structure. Added high- and low-frequency cut controls further expand creative possibilities.
Modulated Large Hall Reverb: Similar to Mod Small Hall Reverb above, with modulation added to internal structure of Fender Large Hall Reverb.
Mythic Drive: Inspired by the '90s-era Klon Centaur; a germanium-diode overdrive with smoothly subtle color and character from a complex gain structure that blends clean and distorted signals without significantly altering guitar tone.
Sustain: Inspired by the MXR M-163 Sustain, a rare 1980s compressor pedal with a particularly strong compression effect and a short attack time.
2290 Delay: Inspired by the TC Electronic TC 2290 delay, a 1980s studio-standard digital delay still sought after today for its crisp repeats and versatile panning/modulation options.
Memory Delay: Inspired by the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, a late-'70s "bucket-brigade" delay pedal that imparts distinctive character to repeats and modulation.
Metal Gate: Inspired by the ISP Technologies Decimator II G String pedal. Especially ideal for high-gain metal, with a very fast attenuation curve.
New Cabinet Simulations (10)
Backup and Restore of Presets and Setlists via TONE app
Advanced Tuner View
Bluetooth Icons for Tone and Streaming
Tap Tempo Subdivisions
Footswitch Effects Assignment
Quick-Save Favorite Presets to a Setlist
Setlists Shortcut
New FX Categories
Keyboard improvements
Menu Reorganization
Note Regarding Setlists: Setlists are now limited to 24 setlists + a FAVORITES setlist (25 total) and 50 presets per setlist. If you happen to have more than 24 setlists, we recommend you delete any unneeded setlists to reduce the quantity down to 24. If you have more than 24 setlists, the amp will randomly select 24 from your list and delete the others.

Note Regarding Factory Presets: If you wish to retain your personal presets AND get the new factory presets we recommend you follow these instructions.
Perform firmware update to v2.0.x by powering on your Mustang GT while holding down the main Encoder.
Using the TONE app, save your personal presets to the TONE Community
Power off amp and then power back on while holding down the TOP/LEFT soft-key. This will save the new factory presets to your amplifier.
Using the TONE app, download your personal presets back to your amplifier in your desired location.
Known Issues:
Order is not always retained when moving presets within a setlist.

hsuru4u

admin

Quote from:  hsuru4u on September 07, 2018, 09:44:58 AM
cool...is the amp like night and day now?

IMHO No  -

the Firmware 2.0  adds more utility and a few more amp models 

Big change since 1st production Mustang GT is (finally) the 4 button foot controller works better and Android  "Fender Tone" app bluetooth remote is reliable 

hsuru4u

This is on my radar because i prefer an all in one amp vs a helix like floor unit.I had the mustang v1/2/3 and sold them pretty quick as when i compared them to my old cybertin se 2-12 combo they just didnt sound as good to me for what i do. I also compared them to my vox ad120vtx amps and same thing.

admin

Quote from:  hsuru4u on September 07, 2018, 12:56:37 PM
This is on my radar because i prefer an all in one amp vs a helix like floor unit.I had the mustang v1/2/3 and sold them pretty quick as when i compared them to my old cybertin se 2-12 combo they just didnt sound as good to me for what i do. I also compared them to my vox ad120vtx amps and same thing.

The big hurdle for Mustang GT series is - lack of user control
( by contrast, the Katana Amps have FAR more real time user control for use at a gig

* There is no MIDI I/O on Mustang GT  - so can not use a typical third party MIDI Control foot pedal to control all those internal effects

Only method for live real time control is the Fender 4 button foot switch and the Fender Expression pedal.
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003535626-How-do-I-use-my-EXP-1-expression-pedal-with-the-Mustang-GT-amp-

* USB control is proprietary and Incompatible with all prior efforts for earlier MUSTANG Amps - which used a form of MIDI over USB ( PrimovaSound MIDX-10/20)
http://www.primovasound.com/
https://www.emusician.com/gear/review-primova-midx-20-dual-usb-host

The target owner of a Mustang GT (according to Fender) is a newbie who will shun third party control solutions

(All MIDX-20 posts at the Fender Forums have been deleted by Fender ) 

admin

Release notes for Fender Tone for iOS are available here:
https://tone-support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003516443
Fender Tone for iOS Release Notes

We'll keep this updated as new versions of the app are introduced!
QuoteFender Tone for iOS Release Notes
2.0 (September 5th, 2018)

Be sure to also update your amp to the latest firmware. Learn how at fender.com/GT.

This release includes:

new presets
new amp models
new effects
Backup & Restore your presets to the cloud!
Bluetooth streaming automatically reconnects to your amp
Alert: With this release, setlists are limited to 24 setlists with 50 presets each. Please make sure your setlists do not exceed new limits or you may lose data.

1.3 (March 6th, 2018)

Be sure to also update your amp to the latest firmware. Learn how at fender.com/GT.

NEW FEATURES

You can now connect your Rumble Studio or Stage amplifiers to the Tone App!
Preset auditioning is now available! Quickly test out any community presets without having to add it to your library.
IMPROVEMENTS

Improved Bluetooth connection speeds and reliability
Redesigned and simplified on-boarding experience
Bug fixes and general stability improvements

1.2 (October 9th, 2017)

NEW effects modules for creating inspiring tones included with firmware 1.5!

Fender Harmonic Tremolo
Straight from the great Fender "Brownface" amps of the early 1960s, this tremolo effect alternately emphasizes high and low frequencies for a distinctively swishing and almost phaser-like sound.

EQ 5 Graphic
Inspired by the EQ from the Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ amp, this five-band EQ is specifically voiced for guitar.

EQ 7 Graphic
Inspired by the Boss GE-7 pedal, this seven-band pedal EQ is voiced specifically for guitar, with fine sonic tailoring.

EQ Parametric
Three-band equalizer with parametric mid control, ideal for dialing in an exact mid-boost frequency for solos or for creating deliberate feedback.

Vibe Unit
Inspired by the classic pulse of a Uni-Vibe pedal.

Octobot
A distinctive octaver effect with prominent one-octave-down plus subtle one-octave-up capabilities for otherworldly "synthesized" tones

Envelope Filter
Automatic wah effect inspired by the temple-of-funk 1970s popularity of the mighty Mu-Tron III pedal.

Round Fuzz
Inspired by the 1969 silicon-transistor version of the venerable Fuzz Face distortion unit.

VariFuzz
A Fender-created fuzz effect similar to Round Fuzz, with the addition of variable tight-to-loose bass tonality.

IMPROVEMENTS & FIXES

Streamlined searching, filtering, and downloading of Tone Community presets.
You can now reorder presets within the setlist.
Improvements to Kill FX toggling experience.
Bug fixes and general stability improvements.

1.1 (September 13rd, 2017)

NEW FEATURES

Re-order presets within your list
Name and rename your Setlists
Toggle "Kill FX" from a preset detail to temporarily mute all effects and hear just the amp model
IMPROVEMENTS & FIXES

Improved experience for creating presets and Setlists, navigating the app and adding effects
Fewer "Amplifier sync in process" messages
Fewer prompts to update your amp when it's already up to date
Fewer Global EQ issues

1.0.6 (August 3rd, 2017)

This update offers improvements and fixes to Setlists. Be sure your amp's firmware is updated to at least version 1.3.5 for best results (Menu > About This Amp).

• Setlists can now be deleted
• Presets can now be removed from a Setlist
• Fixed a bug that caused the app to crash when scrolling through presets in a Setlist
• Coming soon: Stay tuned for future updates with Setlist naming, renaming, and reordering

1.0.5 (June 30th, 2017)

NOTE: This app release requires a Mustang GT firmware update to v1.2.25. Please be sure to update your amp! Click here, for complete instructions on how to update the firmware of your Mustang GT amplifier. If you're still having issues with presets after updating your amp, we recommend deleting the app and reinstalling it.

This is a quick update with a few small fixes.

We're now requesting permission to send you push notifications, so we can alert you to amplifier firmware updates in the future!
Removed the "My Presets" filter to improve reliability
Updated network type options in the manual WiFi entry form
Renamed presets update more quickly

1.0.4 (June 27th, 2017)

NOTE: This app release requires a Mustang GT firmware update. Please be sure to update your amp! Click here, for complete instructions on how to update the firmware of your Mustang GT amplifier. If you're still having issues with presets after updating your amp, we recommend deleting the app and reinstalling it.

This update has more fixes to improve your Mustang GT amp experience.

The app will now automatically reconnect with your amp. Handy if your device goes to sleep!
Adding Bluetooth status messaging so you'll know if you are disconnected
More fixes to align app preset selection with amp
Better support for empty/deleted presets in both the app and the amp
You can now enter your WiFi credentials manually if the amp is unable to find your network

1.0.3 (May 25th, 2017)

We are constantly fixing bugs and issues to improve your Tone experience. Thanks for your feedback and keep it coming!

This release includes:

Resolved sync issues when selecting/switching presets from All Presets list
Fixed a bug related to deleting a Pre FX before saving
Improved WiFi connection experience with status messaging ("searching") and an improved "connect" process
Now, after adding FX or changing an amp go directly to Preset/Amp Detail screen
Now you can swipe right in the chain to return to the Preset Detail screen
Resolved issues with scrolling through/adding public presets from the Browse section
Now, you can add a Post FX on your amp and it will update in the app
Improved messaging to let you know presets can only be created when connected to an amp
When auditioning an FX it will only be saved to a preset when you tap "Save"

1.0.2 (May 11th, 2017)

We're continuing to fix bugs:

Deleting a preset should no longer get the preset list on the app out of sync with the amp's list
Pitch shifter cents now update
Resolved some crashes

admin

Version 2.0.25 (October 2, 2018)

Shimmer Reverb maintains stereo at inputs
Slowed knob acceleration
Changed Default threshold for Metal Gate
Fixed bugs where setlist menu could crash

Version 2.0.21 (September 5, 2018)

New Amp Models (10)

IIC+ Clean: Inspired by the clean channel of the Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+MB. 

IIC+ Lead: Quintessential mid-'80s metal tones inspired by the Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+MB lead channel. 

BB15 Low: Based on the low gain structure setting of the Bassbreaker 15.
BB15 Med: Based on the medium gain structure setting of the Bassbreaker 15. 

BB15 High: Based on the high gain structure setting of the Bassbreaker 15. 

FBE-100: Inspired by both lead channels (BE and HBE) of the Friedman BE-100. 

Acoustasonic: For use with piezo-equipped electric/acoustic guitars. Based on the preamp of Fender's award-winning Acoustasonic amps; flexible string-dynamics feature with selectable notch frequency. 

Acoustic Sim: Six distinctive acoustic guitar simulations for transforming electric guitar with great-sounding acoustic tone. Paired with Acoustasonic preamp for additional tone shaping. 

Dual Showman: Based on the '60s/'70s all-tube Fender classic used on big stages everywhere. 

Tube Preamp: Direct-to-mixing-desk studio purity with increased tube console-like harmonic coloration. 

New Effects (7)

Modulated Small Hall Reverb: Builds on Fender's Small Hall Reverb by 
adding lush modulation to internal reverb structure. Added high- and 
low-frequency cut controls further expand creative possibilities. 

Modulated Large Hall Reverb: Similar to Mod Small Hall Reverb above, 
with modulation added to internal structure of Fender Large Hall 

Mythic Drive: Inspired by the '90s-era Klon Centaur; a germanium-diode 
overdrive with smoothly subtle color and character from a complex gain structure that blends clean and distorted signals without significantly altering guitar tone. 

Sustain: Inspired by the MXR M-163 Sustain, a rare 1980s compressor pedal with a particularly strong compression effect and a short attack time.
2290 Delay: Inspired by the TC Electronic TC 2290 delay, a 1980s 
studio-standard digital delay still sought after today for its crisp repeats 
and versatile panning/modulation options. 

Memory Delay: Inspired by the Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man, 
a late-'70s "bucket-brigade" delay pedal that imparts distinctive 
character to repeats and modulation. 

Metal Gate: Inspired by the ISP Technologies Decimator II G String pedal. 
Especially ideal for high-gain metal, with a very fast attenuation curve. 

New Cabinet Simulations (10) 

Backup and Restore of Presets and Setlists via TONE app 

Advanced Tuner View 

Bluetooth Icons for Tone and Streaming 

Tap Tempo Subdivisions 

Footswitch Effects Assignment 

Quick-Save Favorite Presets to a Setlist 

Setlists Shortcut 

New FX Categories 

Keyboard improvements 

Menu Reorganization 

Note Regarding Setlists: Setlists are now limited to 24 setlists + a FAVORITES setlist (25 total) and 50 presets per setlist. If you happen to have more than 24 setlists, we recommend you delete any unneeded setlists to reduce the quantity down to 24. If you have more than 24 setlists, the amp will randomly select 24 from your list and delete the others. 

Note Regarding Factory Presets: If you wish to retain your personal presets AND get the new factory presets we recommend you follow these instructions.

Perform a firmware update to 2.0 or higher by powering on your Mustang GT while holding down the main Encoder.
Follow the steps here to access the Cloud Presets folder on your Mustang GT.
Navigate to the Fender Presets folder in the Cloud Presets section on your Mustang GT. The newest factory presets are available at the end of the list. Click on any preset you wish to download.
Known Issues: Order is not always retained when moving presets within a setlist.

Version 1.6.37 (June 11, 2018)

Footswitch Reliability Improvements

Version 1.6.36 (March 21, 2018)

Added a fix where renaming a preset in Tone would not update the current 
preset on the amp 

Added a fix so the amp correctly updates it's empty presets list after saving 
an empty preset on the amp

Version 1.6.32 (March 6, 2018)

Bluetooth speed and response time improvements in the Fender Tone app 

Improved Tuner stability on the amp 

Added support for auditioning Tone community presets (Fender Tone for 
iOS only) 

Removed noise on looper wraparound 

Various other bug fixes 

New Effect Models (9)

Version 1.4.21 (Sept,18, 2017)

Fixed issue to avoid rare startup condition which could lead to loss of user presets.
Improved parameter sensitivity for several amp models.

Version 1.3.5 (Aug 02, 2017)

Fixed an issue preventing access to the firmware update servers.

Version 1.2.25 (Jun 27, 2017)

Added Aux In / Bluetooth Volume Control as a menu option. The default volume setting is now "Master". Note that this setting is different from the current functionality. With this setting the Aux In / Bluetooth volume is controlled by the front panel master volume control. The user can return to the existing functionality by setting the menu option to "Normal". Additionally, there are two more options, "High" and "Low", which allow for further customization of the maximum volume setting.
Added a two-step verification process for Bluetooth audio pairing.
Added a few new Global EQ settings including Guitar Focus 1 and Guitar Focus 2.
Added footswitch support for Setlists. After selecting a Setlist in the menu, the user can now change presets in the list from the footswitch.
Added a menu option to disable the looper access from the footswitch.
Added "empty" presets in all unoccupied memory locations. All 200 locations will now show Fender factory presets, user presets or "empty" presets.
Added a "CLEAR PRESET" option in the main menu. After clearing a preset it will show as "empty".
Added a "SAVE AS" preset option in the save menu to allow the user to save a preset in any of the 200 memory locations. A blue list item means the slot is "empty" and a red list item means that a preset already exists in that location.
Changed the cloud preset "SAVE" functionality to the above "SAVE AS" functionality.
Added Encoder scrolling acceleration when scrolling through the 200 presets.
All Cabinets are now available to all Amp Models.
Added the option to Rename a Setlist in the Setlist edit menu.
Fixed the DELETE SETLIST and DELETE PRESET bug in a Setlist.
EXP-1 Global settings are now saved when cycling power

Version 1.1.2 (May 16th 2017)

Added a hotfix that gracefully handles an issue where the amp may not find compatible WiFi networks and may get stuck on the network loading screen

Version 1.1.0 (May 5th 2017)

Added full support for the Fender Tone App
Added the functionality to retrieve presets directly from the Cloud
Added the Shimmer Reverb effect and 2 Factory presets using this effect
Added support for using the FX Loop as a mono loop
Added visual indicators to the footswitch display for each of the Looper Modes.
Fixed Looper audio clicks

Version 1.0.38 (First Production Run)

Initial release

Elantric

dazco

I'm gonna go out on a limb a bit here. V2 at first seemed pretty good, actually very good. But my GT100 had been in the closet and meaning to sell it for months due to the katana artist who's tone i found vastly superior....in QUALITY of tone. I actually prefer the GT's TYPE of tone which is more fender based generally. I spent a year trying to get the GT to sound the way i wanted at band volumes and what i tried was speakers. 3 of them to be exact and both in the amp and in ext cabs and 2 speakers at once since 2 of the 3 are 8 ohm and together were the amps 4 ohm optimum. I added a parallel speaker jack for that. Anyways, i was never real happy with the results still, tho it was FAR better then the stock speaker because that thing was used as a compromise between guitar tone and streaming music. It ruins guitar tone at anything above bedroom volume, that much i because 100% sure of. It's the amp's downfall if you intend to use it for anything louder then bedroom level and certainly for band use where it's ridiculous.

So FF to recently and V2. I was trying to sell the GT but put it off to try V2 and when i did i really liked 2 of the 3 new models and thought it was quite an improvement.  In a short time tho i began to realize it was still not happening. BUT, that was with the crappy stock speaker. I figured as bad as it is i should be able to tell if the overall tone quality was better even with the stock speaker. I was wrong. After all the positive response i thought to try it again only with my other speakers. I still am not sure if the overall tone was improved, but what i found is those new models with a proper guitar speaker was pretty nice. Then i discovered i could now use the global EQ where before it just made the amp horribly bright using anything but the flat or dark settings. I found guitar focus 1 then re tweaking the patches to compensate for the extra cut of GF1 worked great to add better harmonic content which was one of my big gripes with the amp

So now i have patches i made with the friedman model and the bassbreaker that are a bit of a shock to me because for the first time i am getting tones that are this good. I previously thought the power amp and cab were crappy but oncve i tried these new models with proper speakers i no longer have the issues i had before when i tried the speaker with the previous firmwares. Not sure if i'd say the tones im getting are as good as the artist because the sound of each amp is quite different so it's sorta like apples and oranges. What i CAN say is that is these tones translate in the band context i'll be stoked because like i said i prefer the GT's type of tone. I developed the patches at high volume so i thing they should, but i won't know for a month when i have a chance to give it a  go. If it sounds like i'm hoping the artist may just be in jeopardy. Not only because i prefer the more fenderish overdrive (plus the friedman gives me more of a marshall sound,  if not the same as the artist. Plus the far better switching than the artist and having all the parameters of the models and effects available at the amp. Not to mention 1/2 the weight ! The GT is a far superior amp in every way but tone, and i preferred the artist because for me tone is far and away king. But if things work out the way thy seem to be it won't have the advantage over the GT anymore, at least not enough to forego all the GT's many advantages.

So to the question of V2 and how much better it is...IMO a lot, but there are caveats. It doesn't matter unless you change that crap speaker. Once you do V2 allows more variation in tone without artifacts like before IMO. But you really gotta be a tweaker. It took me several days of endless tweaking before i was able to get it to sound like this. Be sure to try the global EQ, specifically the guitar focus settings. GF1 seems too much to me but GF1 is just right) And then be SURE to re EQ the model and maybe cabs till you find what works best with the global EQ setting. Bfore V2 that just didn't work for me and i find it to be very key to getting the livliest richest tones.