GT-100 No Sound When Connecting to Effects Return of Blackstar ht-40 amp..Help!!

Started by PatrickB, March 09, 2017, 11:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PatrickB

I've got a Boss GT-100. I'm trying to hook up the boss to my blackstar amp (L-mono into effect return of blackstar). No sound. Checked all cables and unit seems to be working properly. What am I missing?!! 

Elantric

Solution is described here

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/26938-Monitor-Out-FX-loop-return-Blackstar-HT-40-no-sound/

Plug a dummy 1/4" TS plug into the Blackstar ht-40 front "Guitar Input" of the amp, (not the rear FX "send") - then connect the GT-100 left Output into the Blackstar ht-40 FX Loop Return  will work.

found the answer via google "blackstar ht-40 fx loop"

PatrickB

Quote from: Elantric on March 09, 2017, 11:30:25 AM

https://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/26938-Monitor-Out-FX-loop-return-Blackstar-HT-40-no-sound/

Plug a dummy 1/4" TS plug into the Blackstar ht-40 front "Guitar Input" of the amp, (not the rear FX "send") - then connect the GT-100 left Output into the Blackstar ht-40 FX Loop Return  will work.

thanks man! I was trying that and THOUGHT I did that but I will give it a shot. Thanks again!! 

PatrickB

Quote from: PatrickB on March 09, 2017, 11:50:31 AM
thanks man! I was trying that and THOUGHT I did that but I will give it a shot. Thanks again!!

Btw...that worked!!  thanks for the info. I've also have been using the 4 cable method with some success. :)

three_eyed_otter

Quote from: Elantric on March 09, 2017, 11:30:25 AM

Hello to All,

I get that this thread is old...I was wondering what is the benefit of plugging into the fx loop return?  Is it to use the amp (Blackstar HT 40) as a power amp & turn off the cab sims of the fx processor (GT 100 in case)?  Is this the same functionality found on the Katana MK II power amp in Jack?

Have a good one,

3EO

admin

Something must occupy the Blackstar Amp guitar input jack (it's a switching type) ,  else no sound from speakers. Use a 1/4" plug aka "Dummy plug

Many Amps employ this "Smart input jack" strategy to minimize noise

On all amps with an FX Loop, You will find best most transparent sound using FX Loop Return , to avoid the built in Amp eq and gain stages-which only add noise and distortion  in this application of using external MFX Amp Modeler (GT-100) for your tone.

Most Amps work by feeding just the Fx Loop Return, but many modern Amps out smart you, and require a Dummy plug on Guitar Input jack to enable any sound

Some also require a Dummy plug on FX Send too.