One Pedal to Augment GP-10: What Would It Be?

Started by Rhcole, February 06, 2017, 06:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

If you could add one pedal and one pedal only to make the GP-10 better, what would you choose? Why? Would you use an outboard Leslie to supplement the bland Rotary, Would you add a reverb with Shimmer, would you use outboard distortion, a synth pedal, what would you choose?

Elantric

QuoteIf you could add one pedal and one pedal only to make the GP-10 better, what would you choose? Why? Would you use an outboard Leslie to supplement the bland Rotary, Would you add a reverb with Shimmer, would you use outboard distortion, a synth pedal, what would you choose?

Use a Fractal AX-8

13 pin Guitar >  GP-10 GK IN

GP-10 Guitar OUT > AX-8 Input

AX-8 Output > Aux Input on GP-10

GP-10 Outputs > Stereo DI Box > PA 

Then use GP-10 only for Alt Tuning and occasional Acoustic modeling

aliensporebomb

Well, "pedal" wise look at this:

This particular person who is currently selling a bank of GP-10 presets for guys wanting some rock and roll type sounds has two Boss FS-5U pedals set up to control each patch.
This way you aren't madly switching from patch 01 to 02 to go from a clean to dirty sound but the four footswitches control clean/dirty/effected/etc from one patch.

(still trying to figure out how he's hooking two pedals to the single expression pedal input on the GP-10 though)...

His video shows how he sets it up for various kinds of rock type sounds and some nice clean ones.

But for me with my current rig?

VG-99 stereo out to aux in and have a US-2 type setup so I am controlling both units from one guitar.  The harmonization features from the VG are superior to that of the GP-10 but the GP-10 has some great clean, dirty and acoustic sounds that can augment the 99 nicely.  And together you get a sound that you can't quite attain with either alone.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

chrish

I'd feed it into a boss sy-300 the same way i currently feed a vg99 into two sy's.

Elantric

Quote from: aliensporebomb on Today at 09:39:34 PM
QuoteThis particular person who is currently selling a bank of GP-10 presets for guys wanting some rock and roll type sounds has two Boss FS-5U pedals set up to control each patch.
This way you aren't madly switching from patch 01 to 02 to go from a clean to dirty sound but the four footswitches control clean/dirty/effected/etc from one patch.(still trying to figure out how he's hooking two pedals to the single expression pedal input on the GP-10 though)

You can use a stereo 1/4 inch input split to mono left and right for each footswitch with this cable:

Agreed -

I know its convention to not read the manual - but using two external foot pedals is detailed on page 2 of the Boss GP-10 owners manual

Big Reason i prefer the GP-10 over the GR-55

Rhcole

The SY-300 is tempting because they both have what the other hasn't. Simple examples are the much better rotary and included Slow Gear in the SY. And of course, the GP could cover for many "sins" in the SY.

I've tried two GPs as well, really nice combo.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on February 06, 2017, 09:29:02 PM

Agreed -

I know its convention to not read the manual - but using two external foot pedals is detailed on page 2 of the Boss GP-10 owners manual

Why they didn't make it three in the same jack is beyond me , maybe there's a technical issue.
(I have it on my Electrix repeater etc.)

And my only pedal would be either the SY 300 , or my current setup DD20
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

GuitarBuilder

If it's an effects pedal you're looking for I'd suggest the Eventide Harmonizer H9: studio quality sound and stereo I/O.

For actual control and easier recall of patches, particularly in live situations, I'd recommend the Keith McMillen Softstep 2.  Easy to program via computer and capable of just about any wild combination of pedal presets you can possibly imagine.  It even has expression capability!  Built to take any abuse you can throw at it, yet light and easy to take on the road.  Add CodeSmart's brilliant MIDX-20 box and control the GP-10 and H9 simultaneously.

If budget is not a problem, I'd recommend the awesome RJM Mastermind GT10:

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

Quote from: Rhcole on February 06, 2017, 10:59:01 PM
The SY-300 is tempting because they both have what the other hasn't. Simple examples are the much better rotary and included Slow Gear in the SY. And of course, the GP could cover for many "sins" in the SY.

I've tried two GPS as well, really nice combo.
besides the increased fx chains, the sy allows the guitar models to run through the sy synth filters with modulations.

Also triggering the sy virtual oscs with the gp10 synth voices (i do this with the vg99 or any other synth) really opens up many options for sound design.

In terms of infinite creative choices, these two boxes together would get you close.

carlb

I use the Key 9 strapped to the top of the GP-10 in my rig:

guitar rig by Carl B, on Flickr

The Key 9 provides a nice jazz organ comp, steel drum ("St. Thomas") and mallets, and percussive rhodes sounds. I use separate patches on the GP-10 to drive the Key 9 in two ways: modeled humbucker (percussive keys/mallets); and the fretless model (jazz organ comp tones).

I use the inherent effects-loop that the GP-10 has, if you're OK with mono output. So, the Key 9 is accessible as two patches on the GP-10

Just wish I could control the Key 9 settings from a foot controller or the GP-10. I have to dial-in the Key 9 from among the three sounds that I like to get from it.
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

Majiken

Quote from: Elantric on February 06, 2017, 07:04:32 PM
Fractal AX-8

Why not go straight into the GP10, then mono out directly into the AX8?  You could bypass the GP10 when you don't need it and the XLR outs on the AX-8 negate the need for a DI.  What is the advantage to the originally described method?

I just got a TC-Helicon VL3X, which has pretty usable guitar FX, especially for acoustic- and their stereo guitar FX are very good, sometimes superior to the GP-10.  But in order to take advantage of the alt tunings, modelings and selected mono FX I am thinking of exactly that: guitar into the GP-10, mono out to the VL3X and take advantage of its stereo FX as well as the vocal FX, which are brilliant.  The VL3X I/Os are cool too, and I can go out of that with a premixed, balanced signal.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

Should read

Use a Fractal AX-8

But you could also us the GP-10 in the FX loop of the AX-8  - so GP-10 augments the AX-8

GP-10 Outputs > AX-8 FX Return   

AX-8 Output > PA 

Then AX-8 FX Loop on / off switching for GP-10 on / off 

slooky

I use the tc electronic T2 and it compliments the GP-10

Majiken

Quote from: Elantric on February 08, 2017, 02:40:09 PM
Should read

Use a Fractal AX-8

But you could also us the GP-10 in the FX loop of the AX-8  - so GP-10 augments the AX-8

GP-10 Outputs > AX-8 FX Return   

AX-8 Output > PA 

Then AX-8 FX Loop on / off switching for GP-10 on / off

Sorry, I still don't understand the efficiency of the approach, mainly since the GP10 guitar out does not carry the alt tuning or modeled guitar signal, only the original mags... right?  What processing does the GP10 do to the AX8 signal going into the aux?  I would think the signal leaving the AX8 would be the final one and therefore capable of using the balanced outs?
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

Elantric

ITs simply more convenient to use one 13 pin cable out of the guitar

the GP-10 Guitar out is live mag only all the time - so it feeds the AX-8 input

But many folks just use the GP-10 as Guitar modeler only in front of their other modeler  (GP-10 Main out > Guitar Input on a third party DSP Modeler) ( Helix, Kemper, AX-8, etc) 

just need to build up your desired GP-10 patches than disable everything except the desired guitar model / alt tuning

But there are many other signal routing options with the GP-10 I have not even discussed   - use the one that floats YOUR boat

https://www.google.com/search?q=TC+Voicelive+3+extreme+signal+path&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=1023&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6oo6K3oHSAhUDmJQKHcKbBq4Q_AUICCgD#q=TC+Voicelive+3+extreme+signal+path&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CdMzXaj0B7FKIjg86W4HT7t8q92e9qEgcs6QZXZ2GyFuRS8CKsoU5cDWj8rMPvjmiOcP0FLZmwZ7GFbe9zHAvGpd1SoSCTzpbgdPu3yrEVUi4RkZ8pWaKhIJ3Z72oSByzpAR-L0PcW3xehMqEglldnYbIW5FLxHgAHqR9kddsioSCQIqyhTlwNaPEfzEupegXWF4KhIJysw--OaI5w8R0lnpA3sB_1EgqEgnQUtmbBnsYVhGrPnTieSCsdSoSCd73McC8al3VEeipmHxSF1mN

rsm

I'd add a Source Audio Soundblox Pro Multiwave Distortion.  I could do this with a Mooer 001 to my mixer (mono), is there a way to mute the guitar out of the GP-10 and assign it?

I can easily add my SY-300 and send the stereo signal of both (GP-10 and SY-300) to my mixer.
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

Smash

Quote from: Elantric on February 06, 2017, 07:04:32 PM
Use a Fractal AX-8

And additional effects when the AX8 runs out of CPU...  :D

Elantric

QuoteAnd additional effects when the AX8 runs out of CPU...  :D

Which is why I saved up for an Axe-FX II XL+ which has substantially more DSP horsepower vs AX8.

Today I would mate the GP-10 with Nux Cerberus for its Cab IR
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20863.0

or the new Boss MS-3

reingarnichts

My band setup is a GP10 followed by an EHX Freeze (Sometimes I add an external Digitech Delay). This is also my setup for the melody side of my chapman stick.
The Freeze really gives a lot of new musical(!) possibilities and is a must have especially in my free jazz/improv projects.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: reingarnichts on October 11, 2017, 02:48:46 AM
My band setup is a GP10 followed by an EHX Freeze (Sometimes I add an external Digitech Delay). This is also my setup for the melody side of my chapman stick.
The Freeze really gives a lot of new musical(!) possibilities and is a must have especially in my free jazz/improv projects.
I've been looking to get a freeze pedal but I need stereo. And I don't want two units.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on October 13, 2017, 02:30:55 AM
I've been looking to get a freeze pedal but I need stereo. And I don't want two units.

The Boss DD-500 does  Freeze and its stereo

If you're using the onboard TAP/CTL switch, it's momentary (so hold it) but if you connect an external switch, it can be latching as well.

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Cups

Just got a GT-10 for 150$. It's exactly what I was looking for although I need to learn how to use the assigns on it. The drives are better (to my ear) than the GP-10. The reverbs too. The GPs amps are MUCH better so I put the GP in the loop switch off the GTs amps and use it for effects and routing. Going to be a lot of programming but I'm looking forward to it. Thinking about building a pedal board for this set up too. Going to be heavy.