Katana - Tips & Tricks

Started by Elantric, November 22, 2016, 09:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

KATANA SPEAKER BREAK IN  - How to ?

Quote from: Networc, post: 23204989, member: 183235I'm assuming that running some music through the Aux In while you're out/at work would suffice? Would this be a good tip for the FAQ?

Just put Katana  in a closet and feed this Youtube video into Katana Aux input  on infinite repeat and crank it up

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/replacing-the-katana100.1924955/

QuoteI bought a katana100 with the recommendation of hundreds of people on this site, and i loved it when i got it, coming from a vibro champ xD. I've had the amp almost a year now but i've noticed i find myself utterly uninspired playing it now.
it was handy last year, to have an overdrive built in, some delay, reverb, but im also beginning to put a pedalboard together to cover the basics.
maybe im turning into a old fashioned gear snob (surprising right), but i find myself bored and feeling unconnected to all of the flashing lights, and settings, and modes and blah blah.
i want something with a little more......mystique...if that makes sense.
I'll say again it does sound excellent to my ear, but i've never played through a real tube amp, so i'm not sure what i'm missing.
the problem is that i just dont feel connected to it.
i only play at home practice volumes, when the floor starts vibrating i stop turning it up lol

1) is this just tube amp jealousy?
2) how does a katana100 compare to a smaller tube amp?

£400-500 price limit
amps such as
vox ac4
fender bassbreaker
blues jr
pro jr (although i dislike it not having a proper eq)
orange rocker?

i play mostly blues tones, but would like to be able to get metal tones (probably with a pedal)

would it be worth my money to shell out a little more for something like an egnater tweaker?
any experiences with the tweaker would be welcome, it looks like a fantastic amp but i wonder about its reliability.

sorry this post is word vomit i think im having a nervous breakdown over thi

You seem to be fatigued of the features of the Katana. Why not try dialing in two clean tones (one fender based, one more marshall based) that you can use with your pedals and leave the rest of it alone, at least for awhile? The $ you are talking about for a tube amp, you are HOPING to get one great tone, maybe two on the two channelers. Another thing you can do is listen to good recordings of the amps you are thinking of and try dialing the katana to sound like it with just the panel controls, no effects. If you are uninspired and think a new amp would help, by all means get one, but i think what you are seeking in terms of tones, especially at low volume, are already in the K and likely as good or better than what you will find in the amps you are looking at. Maybe not though, lol, if you get something new, enjoy the hunt and the amp, but i would keep the K rather than selling it for what you could get used and try it again in a month or six.
Disclosure: I sold a K100 combo when i got sick of playing with the software and wanted a simple great tube amp and bought another one when i realized the tones i was hoping for in the Dsl20CR (returned) i got were already in the Katana and much better. I use it in a simplified way now and love it. Let us know what you do!

admin

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/psa-for-katana-owners.1925197/

dazco wrote>
I'm late to the katana party having only just gotten a artist a week ago. So the majority of you may know this but it's too good not to try and make sure EVERYONE that owns a katana does, so i decided to do this PSA. Two things....

1. use the floorboard app instead of the boss tone studio. It allows you to use both effects in the effects blocks that otherwise only allow one of the 2 simultaneously. For example, booster and mod....you can use any booster and any mod at the same time. Not possible w/o floorboard. Also use delay2 on sneaky amps which you cannot do in tone studio when using a sneaky amp. There are other things too, but it's just a much better app.

2. And even more importantly, than above, try the "custom amp" model in sneaky amps. That model along with a few others don't show up in the sneaky amps list if you use boss tone studio, at least not for my artist. But it does in the floorboard app. It's a real game changer because besides the main controls on the amp, it gives you a whole other set of controls that literally allow you to build nearly any amp sound imaginable with it. After a week of trying the onboard sounds till i had what i knew would not get any better, than sneaky amps with marginally better results, i tried the custom amp and literally improved the sound i was shooting for all week so much i'm tempted to say it's twice as good sounding. The custom allows you to choose a amp sturcture type like MS high gain, clean, crunch, combo drive, and several others. Then it adds additional controls....edge, bottom, pre low, pre high, character, (huge variation with that one !) and preamp level. I doubt theres a sound you can't get.

Again, most of you probably know this, but anyone who doesn't is likely in for a treat to say the least. I liked the artist a lot before i discovered this, but it sounded overly "marshall stack" to me and i could not dial that out for other sounds. Now i not only can, but i can make those same marshall style sounds a lot better, and it's got me loving this amp a LOT more. That custom amp alone is all I will ever need ! I hope those who haven't discovered this stuff read this and find it as valuable as I did. Just google "katana floorboard" and you'll find downloads and lots of info on the vguitar forum, plus sneaky amps if u don't already have that.

dazco

I should have saved that post till i had more time with the amp, as i feel a bit differently now about the custom amp. I will have to spend more time with it but i now prefer the stock amps. The custom is big sounding but i can't dial out a certain thing that bothers me somewhat.
And as for the floorboard, i still like it for it's many advantages over the BTS, but i also like the BTS for some things. They are both good to have and compliment each other in that each does some things the other can't or does them better or easier. But the longer i have this amp the more i am leaning towards using the front panel to get most of my sounds and the apps to do certain effect things like change parameters and other effects related things. But for purely the amp sounds i'm leaning more towards the amp panel for simplicity and even staying away from the boosts because of functionality issues with them. Plus i seem to be getting better sounds now with just the front panel than i could at first possibly due to my learning the amp or speaker break in or both.

Quote from: admsustainiac on March 23, 2018, 11:24:02 AM
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/psa-for-katana-owners.1925197/

dazco wrote>
I'm late to the katana party having only just gotten a artist a week ago. So the majority of you may know this but it's too good not to try and make sure EVERYONE that owns a katana does, so i decided to do this PSA. Two things....

1. use the floorboard app instead of the boss tone studio. It allows you to use both effects in the effects blocks that otherwise only allow one of the 2 simultaneously. For example, booster and mod....you can use any booster and any mod at the same time. Not possible w/o floorboard. Also use delay2 on sneaky amps which you cannot do in tone studio when using a sneaky amp. There are other things too, but it's just a much better app.

2. And even more importantly, than above, try the "custom amp" model in sneaky amps. That model along with a few others don't show up in the sneaky amps list if you use boss tone studio, at least not for my artist. But it does in the floorboard app. It's a real game changer because besides the main controls on the amp, it gives you a whole other set of controls that literally allow you to build nearly any amp sound imaginable with it. After a week of trying the onboard sounds till i had what i knew would not get any better, than sneaky amps with marginally better results, i tried the custom amp and literally improved the sound i was shooting for all week so much i'm tempted to say it's twice as good sounding. The custom allows you to choose a amp sturcture type like MS high gain, clean, crunch, combo drive, and several others. Then it adds additional controls....edge, bottom, pre low, pre high, character, (huge variation with that one !) and preamp level. I doubt theres a sound you can't get.

Again, most of you probably know this, but anyone who doesn't is likely in for a treat to say the least. I liked the artist a lot before i discovered this, but it sounded overly "marshall stack" to me and i could not dial that out for other sounds. Now i not only can, but i can make those same marshall style sounds a lot better, and it's got me loving this amp a LOT more. That custom amp alone is all I will ever need ! I hope those who haven't discovered this stuff read this and find it as valuable as I did. Just google "katana floorboard" and you'll find downloads and lots of info on the vguitar forum, plus sneaky amps if u don't already have that.

admin

Quote from: GovernorSilver, post: 26527574, member: 24553New Katana 100 owner here.  Guitar Center had them on sale for under $300.

Any good tutorials on how to use the compressor?  I was going to rewatch Chris Buono's compressor lesson video on Youtube but it's gone.  Also I figured there might be something out there more specific to the Katana, or at least tips/tricks with the Boss compressor(s); specifically for rhythm guitar work and clean guitar stuff.
Every concept in this doc 100% applies to Katana

Boss GT-8 Brilliance
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=12747

Read ALL the docs in the Roland COSM Library thread  - that has links to PDF docs that explain all VG/GR/GP/GT features in far greater detail
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88.0

Roland GS-10 COSM dynamic processor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=68

Roland GS-10 COSM Speaker
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=69

Boss_GT-x_Set-up_v02.pdf
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=88.0;attach=462

admin

MysticalPotato

I wanted to post something different for my first post but I feel compelled to say something about these so called "sneaky amps"- these are nothing more than presets that someone saved as a liveset. There are no "hidden amps"on the katana. Please don't be fooled by this. Floorboard allows you to do more than with Studio yes, but there are no hidden amps (Repeating so it sinks in).

I'm surprised so many have been fooled by this simple Liveset, fooled into thinking they are getting some hidden features.. BOSS aren't dumb. They would not put features into an amp only to prevent you from accessing them. Think about it for a second. It would literally serve NO purpose whatsoever.

Discuss?

admin

Quote from: MysticalPotato on December 26, 2018, 07:24:42 AM
I wanted to post something different for my first post but I feel compelled to say something about these so called "sneaky amps"- these are nothing more than presets that someone saved as a liveset. There are no "hidden amps"on the katana. Please don't be fooled by this. Floorboard allows you to do more than with Studio yes, but there are no hidden amps (Repeating so it sinks in).

I'm surprised so many have been fooled by this simple Liveset, fooled into thinking they are getting some hidden features.. BOSS aren't dumb. They would not put features into an amp only to prevent you from accessing them. Think about it for a second. It would literally serve NO purpose whatsoever.

Discuss?

Why not research and learn the evolution of Katana sneaky amps

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20693.0

vtgearhead

Discuss?

Nothing to discuss.  If you want to labor under a misconception that's your right and privilege.

Short answer:  Roland/Boss are great believers in firmware reuse and they left a number of amplifiers and effects in the image that are not directly accessible from the Katana panel or Katana BTS.   However, by writing the correct values into the sysex address space you can bring them to life.

gumtown

Discuss?

You have evidence to support this ?
Has all my hard work on reverse engineering the Katana and other Boss COSM based firmware coding been for nothing ?
Did my conversations with Boss's own product development supervisor on the "Sneaky Amp" topic never happen ?
Is everyone else wrong ?

I can assure you the "sneaky Amps" do physically exist, due to the Katana firmware being an offspring/subset of the GT-100.
The Sneaky amps are the remaining GT-100 amps which still exist and the firmware developer forgot to 'close the door' on them.
There have been acknowledgements behind the scenes from Boss that they exist, and that the last years Firmware 1 to 2 upgrade would not close them out.
They still exist in the new Firmware 3 update.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Gurbz

Admit it you guys, you got fooled again ;D
Nice try mysticalpotato, I'm back to my sneaky amps V2
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

fificap

Discuss?

Hi, did you give them a try? you'll see that they can be adjusted as an amp, with the same parameters than other amp simulations in the software.

Are you just talking about the result, that can be obtains with a liveset of original amps simulatiion settings? for some of them you can be very close (then without the same ability to add effect as they are certainly already required to obtain the amp result!), but i doubt that you can copy half of the sneaky amp result with liveset of original amps and effects.

I prefer some of the sneaky amp to the original one, and i dont understand why Boss does not include them officially in the firmware. Thanks to Gumtown for the access to them.

Mery christmas.

admin

admin

There are so many conflicting opinions on the internet regarding if the Boss Katana sounds better either with the volume up full or the master up full. In this video, I put the debate to rest with a looped recording to see if there is actually any difference. The Studio Rats are core band

admin

admin