GP-10 - Why I choosed a GP10

Started by Alex, November 08, 2016, 03:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hi all, I wanted to share with you the reason of choosing a GP10 instead of other systems, it may help people to decide if they want to give it a try or not.

I'm only playing at home in front of my computer and was looking for an affordable solution to play all the metal music I like.
Being able to play in 6 different tunings requires different guitar with different string tension, most probably different necks, etc ... so it was time to look for a virtual guitar solution for me.
I also wanted to have a small device, having no need in dancing on a big scale pedal board :)

Therefore I started looking at the Line 6 Variax. I was familiar with the line 6 gears, owning previously a PODxt and a GX interface (but no pedal board to manage this). The problems I have seen with the Variax are:

• you never really know if you will like the neck profile
  • I don't particularly like the look of the whole Variax guitar line
  • I do like my current two guitars and their playing style
  • I would need to buy extra battery, an FBV mkII to drive this, etc ...
  • I don't really need to have a simulation of a Les Paul reissue Gold flamed top with single coil in strange position. I just want to have a tool to recreate sounds

The other thing with the Variax is that to get the most of it you probably need to buy extra battery, a POD HD500 (haven't seen a way to change tuning along with patch in POD farm) and I don't need such big unit. At the end it's not a cheap solution for results which may not be satisfying (there's many post on palm muting issues with the variax piezo pickups).

Just before I finally decided to give it a try to the Variax standard I found that the GP10 was pretty interesting:

• it was well received
  • it's small
  • it's somehow cheap (all in one unit with a pedal board)
  • it has nylon _and_ acoustic simulation
  • the GK system is known to sound well with palm muting techniques
  • I can keep my guitars and buy whatever guitar I want
  • I can use it without a computer (I know I said I play in front of my computer :) )
  • there's no fancy stuff in Boss world, you don't have lot's of options but you get what is needed to build sound

At the end it turned out to be true, the GK system even with it's imperfections is ultra responsive and works perfectly for palm muting techniques.
Fortunately, it's not always mentioned, you can mount it in reverse position when used with the GP10 to make palm muting even more comfortable.

Next post, I'll talk about my sonic experimentations.

Cheers.

GuitarBuilder

Good choice!  Enjoy your new synth.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

roachone

Love my GP10 Too! One neat little box ;D

aliensporebomb

It's a neat little lightweight box.  If lifting heavy amps is a problem for gigs this thing with a small FRFR setup or direct to the house would really work nicely for that and for recording.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

baldedeagua

Hi! I'm thinking about buying it for the same reasons. I'm still deciding between the Variax (Very rare and expensive in my country) and the GP10.
What do you think about the alt tunings? Its possible to play live with a clean guitar tuned in drop C or B? I can't find any decent demo..

Thanks.

alexmcginness

The alt tuning thing from my experience with it is guitar dependant. All my guitars handle alt tunings with no issues with the GP-10 except one guitar. Alt tuning is un useable with that guitar and the GP-10. Youll have to try it with your own guitar and see. I use the VG-99 quite a bit but the more I use the GP-10 the more Im liking it. I may even switch over completely.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

chrish

What do you like about the gp-10 over the vg99. Does this mean that there will be 3 more used 99's on the market soon? :-)

alexmcginness

Quote from: chrish on February 12, 2017, 05:47:28 AM
What do you like about the gp-10 over the vg99. Does this mean that there will be 3 more used 99's on the market soon? :-)

I like the amps in it. Theres something in there thats a tad more natural. Im still doing a lot of comparing. Im gonna port some of the GP-10 patches into the 99 and see if my ears are deceiving me. The 99 still is far more versatile but that can be somewhat gotten around by using 2 GP-10s to get the two signal paths like the 99 has. Its early days for the GP-10 for me and I havent made any decisions yet on a switch for live work.
   There may be one used 99 on the market but only after the prices start going up. I snagged two unopened GK internal kits as an investment. Theyre pretty rare now. I think Ill be able to make a bit on them in the future. We shall see....
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Brak(E)man

I switched to the GP over a year ago, haven't touched VG 99 since , in the studio nor live.
that despite the alt tune issue.
The size , the sturdiness and the ease of that small box
are the main reasons , not the sound.
But I'll get all the VGs from storage soon
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

alexmcginness

Quote from: Brak(E)man on February 12, 2017, 09:08:36 AM
I switched to the GP over a year ago, haven't touched VG 99 since , in the studio nor live.
that despite the alt tune issue.
The size , the sturdiness and the ease of that small box
are the main reasons , not the sound.
But I'll get all the VGs from storage soon
I would switch over as well but I live on alternate tunings for live work with my one man show. Im using the 99 for instant capos and instant drop tunings all the time. I need the Traveller Escapes acoustic pickup as well. Perhaps I could get use to the acoustic in the GP-10. If I can get that in the ball park of the acoustic thats coming out of the Travellers piezo, Id switch over to using the  GP-10 live, When travelling with the 99 ya have to be so careful with it as the knobs on it are very fragile. Ive already damaged one of the "F" knobs. It still works but is intermittent. The GP-10 is built like a tank campared to the 99.  Im also waiting on the Virtual Jeff. I use the D-Beam on the 99 a lot and the Jeff will replace that function nicely.

Brak(E)man

I agree , I switched because I fly to most of my gigs and even as carry on , one has to be careful with the 99 , the GP you can throw under the seat.
I too used the ribbon, the air beam and the tweak knobs
but I got used to not having them anymore.

The one thing I'm still pissed about is the alt tunings.

I use them a lot on chords and for bass sim and soprano guitar etc.
I'm fine with both both the nylon , and steel acoustic but I miss the sitar from 88
and 99 they are way superior to the GP for my fretless
on the other hand the GR 300 works better on the GP than on the 99 when it comes to keeping up when played fast.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch