SY-300 as multi-effect?

Started by donaldduck, May 17, 2016, 03:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donaldduck

Hi guys,
I'd like to know if it is possible to have a patch with no synth and all the 4 fx slots assigned to the instrument clean sound.
This is because I have seen the Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig and would like to buy one, but I can buy a (used) SY-300 for almost the same price.
Typically I'd like to have a patch with comp / dist / delay / reverb (I'd like an octave sound, too, but I suppose it can be handled by the synth part).
If so, the SY-300 would do the same thing as the BFR to me, which would definitely mean me buying one.
Thanks!

hading

Yes, you can do that. One of the options for the oscillators is to use the input signal without modification - just set one to do that and turn the others off. There are other ways you could do it too.

Rhcole

The SY-300 is a very powerful multi-FX processor. You can also insert FX into the direct return signal, giving you up to 4 parallel signal paths. Tone Studio allows you to change the order and settings for any and all FX as well.

You can also treat the Oscs as FX themselves, blending them in very subtly. Done well, they change the tone color of the guitar without drawing attention to themselves as synths.

Caramello Koala

Yep, I use my SY300 as a multi effects pedal on top of as a synth. I have patches for chorus, phase, auto wah, compressor, boost, reverb etc. I've had a lot of the early MIJ Boss pedals that the effects are based on and they sound pretty much identical to my ears. Even the delay sounds as good (albeit not as tweakable) as what I get out of my DD500.

Marwin

I use it mostly as a multi-effect myself :)

I've made a quick recording of "Summertime" by Gerswhin a while ago; the two guitars are 100% unmodified in from the sy-300, added the drum track later:

https://soundcloud.com/marwinmoody/summertime-digital-test

(might've gone a bit heavy on the reverb lol)