Low and high E string barely tracking?

Started by ZenSonic, December 23, 2008, 03:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenSonic

Greetings, what a great resource this site is. I feel like a kid in a candy shop! Thanks for making this site available.

I recently had a Headless custom guitar made with a Moses Graphite neck, Bondy bridge and an internal GK3 pickup. I need to put the sensitivity on the high and low E strings up all the way on my GR33 and the rest of the strings on 1 or 2 out of 8 just to get some sort of balance. I read here that I can adjust the radius on a GK3. Is this what I need to do? thanks in advance, ZenSonic

Here is a link to see my guitar.
http://buildingtheergonomicguitar.com/2008/09/mini-gordo-midi-guitar.html

Elantric

Looks like your bridge has the narrow  Gibson spacing. ( distance between Low E and High E) The GK-2A was designed for the wider Fender spacing - thus you may observe the GK-2A's Pole pieces for these strings are not directly under the center of the "E" strings.

You may be better served by a Yamaha G1D hex PU -which has slightly narrower spacing  - compared to your GK-2A.

Bela Fleck uses the G1D, and i always use a G1D on my Gibson spaced bridge guitars.

Ebay is the source for G1D - since Yamaha ceased making these in 2004.

There is a new Axon PU similar to the GK-3A, - but I have not seen one yet so i can not comment.

Or the Roland GK-3A may be employed  - but its not as narrow as the G1D, but be advised that after tweaking the radius - they often become "microphonic" when using high gain VG-99 patches, and may need to be"potted" or  dipped in wax after adjusting the radius  to cure uncontrollable feedback.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group ZenSonic!  :)

If you have a bigger space from the pickup to the string this will give you a lower output from that string. The string spacer provided with the GK-3 is what you will determine what needs to be done. I don't find that the radius adjustment does as much as the string sensitivity as far as the amount you can adjust but I guess whatever we can get is a good thing.

Most Steinbergers (I have 8, 2 with GK-3 pickups) barely work on the GK-3 because of the string spacing being a little narrow. Since you have a Steinberger type guitar you may have the same problem where the string is just barely over the outside pickups. This could be another thing going on with it.

ZenSonic

Hi Sustainiac, thanks for responding. I have a GK3A internal kit not a GK2a..still an issue. Best,ZenSonic.
Quote from: sustainiac on December 23, 2008, 06:14:21 AM
Looks like your bridge has the narrow  Gibson spacing. ( distance between Low E and High E) The GK-2A was designed for the wider Fender spacing - thus you may observe the GK-2A's Pole pieces for these strings are not directly under the center of the "E" strings.

You may be better served by a GK-3A PU, or a Yamaha G1D hex PU - both have slightly narrower spacing  - compared to your GK-2A.

Bela Fleck uses the G1D, and i always use a G1D on my Gibson spaced bridge guitars.

Ebay is the source for G1D - since Yamaha ceased making these in 2004.

There is a new Axon PU similar to the GK-3A, - but I have not seen one yet.

Or the Roland GK-3A may be employed - but be advised that after tweaking the radius - they often become "microphonic" when using high gain VG-99 patches, and may need to be"potted" or  dipped in wax after adjusting the radius  to cure uncontrollable feedback.

ZenSonic

Thanks Brent Flash, I guess I'll mess around with it some more. How do I adjust the radius on the GK3? Rick Canton, the guitar builder has all the spacers and info from when he installed it. best, Stephen

Elantric

On the VG-99, with GK-3A, I  set my string sensitivity to "30"

Try "30" for A, D, G, B - and "55" for your E strings - then tweak all for a balance.

"30" may sound like a low value for string sensitivity - but it gives far more dynamic range with most VG-99 patches.    

ZenSonic

Elantric

vanceg

Quote from: ZenSonic on December 23, 2008, 06:34:32 AM
Will do, thanks Sustainiac.

I have a VERY similar guitar with narrow string spacing and I need to set my hi and low E string sensitivity to 98 and the D and G strings to 2!  This is the most massive difference between gain settings I have ever seen and I was worried about it - but it seems to work just fine.

Vance

ZenSonic

Hi Vance that is good to know.....I don't have my VG-99 now but will try to adjust the variables to the best of my ability once I do.  Seemed allot easier with my Godin LGX-SA and Brian Moore 8.13 that use the RMC system but when everything is working right I prefer the sound of the GK3...I can get strange overtones that I love that are somehow absent with the other systems..I feel like I bought an old Jaguar with a carb issue that runs great when it is finely tuned. best, Stephen

mooncaine

Good thread! I, too, have a narrow, Steinberger guitar. I'll be keeping an eye on info about a good pickup to use when my GK2A wears out.

Does anyone have a link to a diagram, or measurements, for that Yamaha G1D?

Elantric

mooncaine