Are Little Boxes Slowly Eroding the VG Empire?

Started by Rhcole, December 04, 2014, 10:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanceg

While I really don't like the 13pin cable... I don't consider it ANY more "unwieldy" than a standard guitar cable.  I mean... it falls to the floor when I unplug it, i have to step over it when i turn around with my guitar on... sometimes i trip over it... JUST like I do with a 1/4" cable. 

Quote from: Smash on December 05, 2017, 04:11:33 PM
Point proven! All ugly or irreversible destructive mods.

To be fair to Fishman what they did absolutely get 100% right was going wireless - that's a big chunk of unwieldy GK cable pain gone.

Personally I think the future of midi guitar (not modelling etc) is 1/4 inch stock out and  software conversion.

Roll on MG3 floor pedal guitar to midi converter....

Smash

The problem here is you're already converts lol!  ;D

Vped can run mg2 but how well? I thought it was largely dismissed as a box for various software issues and shortcomings.

Mg2 on ios simply doesn't hack it in terms of either latency or accuracy in close knit chords- if you want slow attack pads only then great. On ios it doesn't come close to FTP from my experience.

And I agree a full GK install doesn't harm the looks of a guitar. Some beautys on this forum - no question. But the people here on this forum are in the minority in terms of wanting to hack their guitars - if the manufacturer takes the same tact that if customers really want it theyll do it it will always result in niche take up.

Joe Guitarist isn't interested in modelling? You're joking! Kemper? Katana? and every single MFX out there all have modelled effects. Modelling as a concept is absolutely accepted by majority (not all granted) what we're talking about here is ultimately accessibility. EHX success (based on title of this thread) tells you Joe Guitarist will go for it its painless.

I don't think the answer will come from groups like this as we're all too blinkered by the past telling us what isnt possible. Theres a lot of 'its not possible' attitude - it needs left of field, blue sky (hate that term!) thinking. The SY was a step in the right direction but didn't quite hit the mark.

Again it's all just imo - I just think it needs a rethink before a new GK flagship is viable.

The answer to the OP question is Yes, they are.........because they're painless and they work

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Smash on December 05, 2017, 11:49:07 PM

Joe Guitarist isn't interested in modelling? You're joking! Kemper? Katana? and every single MFX out there all have modelled effects. Modelling as a concept is absolutely accepted by majority (not all granted) what we're talking about here is ultimately accessibility. EHX success (based on title of this thread) tells you Joe Guitarist will go for it its painless.

Most of the Joe Guitarists are still arguing solid state vs tube , kemper are seen as a bad replica , not comparable to the " real thing " and barely accepted. Katana as a regular amp with the side Q ( if they are models ? ) about the different amps in Katana. ( and most of them won't check out the sneaky amps , too complicated) and most of them run their stomp boxes with Katana instead of the built in FX.

As far as multifx goes , they want them working as stomp boxes.
One button per fx , one knob to tweak per fx etc. and preferably analogue with a tube in there
at least for show.

Ehx success I think is based on the fact that they look like the stomp boxes that Joes got used to ,
less than how they sound , and that they did make Big Muff , Electric Mistress etc.

I do think you're right in general.
The wart the hex the cable the model fx aren't rocknroll
And for the major part of Joes that's what matters.

that's where it's at IMO and I don't see that changing.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Smash

The valve bit made me laugh - suddenly had the thought of a "new" analog digital delay, featuring the crystaline clarity of digital with warm fuzziness of valves! :D Sad thing is it'd probably be lapped up, lol!

DreamTheory

Quote from: Smash on December 05, 2017, 10:35:59 AM
Not uglier? Thats a tech head guitarist talking, and thats the problem  ;)

I think the fact that pretty much all acoustic guitar pups are well hidden if not invisible now tells you no one wants an ugly bolt on.

And you're kind of missing my point - I'm sure Joe Guitarist would be happy to try a hex multi processor if that initial wart problem could be overcome.

Maybe it's not ugly enough. The hex could be sturdier and bigger. The connectors would be more durable, the installation less intimidating. Less delicate, more rugged might appeal to guys used to adjusting a bridge with a standard size  screwdriver. Jeep mentality.

Maybe it's ugly because, like a zit, it tries to hide but it can't. So make it big and chrome finished. Call it the "Whalloping Galumpke" and include a Bixby.

Or... ditch the gk3 knot in favor of a waist level control surface, so maybe the A/D could be moved there. Then the wire off the guitar would be very thin and small- just zip tie it to your mono cable. These thin cables would be cheap and click into the hex like telephone cords.

Or... how about locating the A/D circuits in a special modified strap? It could have sensor controls that you activate by touching. Or make some kind of cyborg gauntlet, like a Michael Jackson glove with exposed fingers, or a velcro band you can put on your upper arm like a jogger's biofeedback thingy.

I like the GK-3 as is because it's a cheapest most efficient compromise, but maybe having more options could help reach more people?
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

admin

Quote from: Smash on December 06, 2017, 01:20:42 AM
The valve bit made me laugh - suddenly had the thought of a "new" analog digital delay, featuring the crystaline clarity of digital with warm fuzziness of valves! :D Sad thing is it'd probably be lapped up, lol!

http://effectextra.blogspot.com/2010/10/guyatone-flip-ad-x-analog-delay-with.html

chrish

Quote from: admsustainiac on December 06, 2017, 01:52:47 AM
http://effectextra.blogspot.com/2010/10/guyatone-flip-ad-x-analog-delay-with.html

I remember seeing another tube delay on the Forum. It looked like a Whitman's sampler candy box.

One thing I think is very interesting is why we care whether or not Joe Blow guitarist gets into Hi-Tech hex processing.

Is it  the lack of aesthetic appeal, or learning curve, lack of understanding of what the product can do, or even added expanse keeping high tech gear a niche market?

Or is it really about what their favorite rock stars are using?

The only reason  I can think of why we care is because, as high-tech guitar enthusiasts and sound explorers, we want more of those products.

Rhcole

Bingo. If Roland had sold enough VG-99s, we would all own VG-120s by now.

vanceg

I guess that part of my point is:  The MASS of "Joe Guitarists" aren't going to care about a lot of what hex pickups can do.  But that mass is so huge that just a small portion of that mass could still be an interesting market, even for the big players.   There are some capabilities which are most easily achieved by using hex pickups (alternate tunings, pitch detection on each string, many unique and obviously useful effects like hex distortion) that would not be a challenge to see as being useful to the "average" guitarists (as opposed to us "already converted weirdos").  Just those two facts would make me think that there is ENOUGH of a market for Hex pickups to continue some effort developing for it. 

Now, the big players can take some big risks - Like introducing this technology to the wider market.  And they can survive when the whole market doesn't pick it up.   And the super small players can make targeted products and stay alive because they only need a small customer base to stay afloat (at least for a while).  It's the middle sized companies that seem most challenged at being able to introduce and sustain such products.

Frankly I don't know if hex processing will take off ever... but it seems like it could.. and it SURELY seems like it can exist as a long term sub-market....