SpiceTone 6APPEAL: Hex Fuzz, poly Tremolo/Pan, Break Out Box, MIDI Controller

Started by Elantric, August 15, 2014, 09:33:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarBuilder

Quote from:  chrish on May 17, 2017, 03:12:07 PM
"We do have a few other modules in mind. But, these make sense only if our first module finds support from musicians.

If the analog hexaphonic signal processing is going to take off, we may think also of an analog guitar synth based on our electronic technology. A special feature of our approach is that if we create other 13pin boxes, too, these can be daisy chained just as conventional guitar pedals."

Yes!! Put me on the list! ;D ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 18, 2017, 05:24:52 AM
The nearest I can tell you get a 20 foot GK cable and a 1 foot GK cable if you buy from them but not the reseller.  Hmmm.
I called the reseller concerning the 13 pin cables being available with a unit in the United States and the guy said they were included.(edit note: the perfect circuit website actually says that the 13 pin cable is not included)

I also checked the price today and it's $425 at Perfect Circuit which is the authorized reseller.

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/spicetone-6appeal-hexaphonic-guitar-effect-pedal.html

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: chrish on May 27, 2017, 10:50:39 AM
I called the reseller concerning the 13 pin cables being available with a unit in the United States and the guy said they were included. I also checked the price today and it's $425 at Perfect Circuit which is the authorized reseller.

https://www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/spicetone-6appeal-hexaphonic-guitar-effect-pedal.html

10% off memorial day sale!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

chrish

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on May 27, 2017, 01:03:22 PM
10% off memorial day sale!
the regular price is $499. So at $425  current price that's about 15% off. It's on sale now however their 10% off holiday sale price does not apply to items already on sale.

when I was trying to order this last week there was some confusion about a 20% off coupon that I tried to apply,  but that coupon turned out to be a bogus internet coupon. however the customer service lady said she would try to honor that coupon price, which would bring the pedal to around $400. She was doing that as a courtesy, however I haven't heard back yet.

chlorinemist

Quote from: chrish on May 27, 2017, 10:50:39 AM
I called the reseller concerning the 13 pin cables being available with a unit in the United States and the guy said they were included.(edit note: the perfect circuit website actually says that the 13 pin cable is not included)

I also checked the price today and it's $425 at Perfect Circuit which is the authorized reseller.

I bought mine from Perfect Circuit and both cables were included. So i'm guessing the website's statement is the mistake, and the guy you talked to is correct. Unless somethings changed

chrish

Quote from: chlorinemist on May 27, 2017, 11:20:38 PM
I bought mine from Perfect Circuit and both cables were included. So i'm guessing the website's statement is the mistake, and the guy you talked to is correct. Unless somethings changed
I can confirm that the spicetone 6 appeal comes with the one foot 13 Pin cable and 20ft 13 Pin cable.

And as stated on the spicetone website it does not come with a power supply however  the 9 volt center negative- Roland power supply works. The pedal is designed to run between 9 and 12 volts DC.

After I received, the unit I did a quick check using a gk3 and Ibanez artist guitar. I wanted to compare it to the VG 99 Distortion patches and the poly distortion. I did the strum and hold test and just let it Fade Out.

Hands down the 6appeal wasthe winner. It has a very clean Fade Out as opposed to the VG 99 which Fades out into some sort of strangeness until the noise takes over. Overall the Distortion in the spicetone pedal has a clearer and a more distinct string sound.

I used a lot of distortion when I was a lad by way of the big muff Pi pedal, but haven't really been a fan of distortion for a long time. Most often I've been using clean tones or the slightly Browned tones of the ADA MP2 micro tube analog guitar preamp.

Until now. Good job spicetone.

chlorinemist

Quote from: chrish on June 02, 2017, 12:46:15 PM
I can confirm that the spicetone 6 appeal comes with the one foot 13 Pin cable and 20ft 13 Pin cable.

And as stated on the spicetone website it does not come with a power supply however  the 9 volt center negative- Roland power supply works. The pedal is designed to run between 9 and 12 volts DC.

After I received, the unit I did a quick check using a gk3 and Ibanez artist guitar. I wanted to compare it to the VG 99 Distortion patches and the poly distortion. I did the strum and hold test and just let it Fade Out.

Hands down the 6appeal wasthe winner. It has a very clean Fade Out as opposed to the VG 99 which Fades out into some sort of strangeness until the noise takes over. Overall the Distortion in the spicetone pedal has a clearer and a more distinct string sound.

I used a lot of distortion when I was a lad by way of the big muff Pi pedal, but haven't really been a fan of distortion for a long time. Most often I've been using clean tones or the slightly Browned tones of the ADA MP2 micro tube analog guitar preamp.

Until now. Good job spicetone.

Congrats! Another proud owner of the world's greatest guitar pedal. Now all you need is some Cycfi pickups and you'll have a rig dripping with tone that inspires awe and amazement every time you fire it up, without fail

chrish

Quote from: chlorinemist on June 02, 2017, 08:15:48 PM
Congrats! Another proud owner of the world's greatest guitar pedal. Now all you need is some Cycfi pickups and you'll have a rig dripping with tone that inspires awe and amazement every time you fire it up, without fail
kind of amazed at how good the GK pickups sound through this pedal. The cycfi hex must sound incredible. That's on the list.

Put together a patch today using the VG 99 acoustic guitar and mag pups added the hex distortion 6appeal (through chorus and Reverb fx) mixed in at a lower volume while also being input into both boss sy-300's running two separate patches and mixed in at the lowest volume. So many possibilities.

chrish

Yesterday I plugged the spicetone 13 pin out into a VG 8's 13 pin input.

One thing that I hadn't expected was that the spicetone pedal's 13 pin output is the pedal affected signal.

I downloaded the  manual today and it confirmed that fact. That's 63 pages  for a distortion pedal. There must be something going on in there.

" note that the signal is affected by your sound settings so it may not be as good as the 13 pin control signal -it's really a sound now."

What a surprise. So now I'll be able to input a complex wave form into both of VG 99 and the vg8. Or any other piece of gear that accepts a 13 pin hex input.

That opens up a lot of possibilities for hex processing.

That means this distortion pedal can run through a hex pitch shifter. And everything else the vgs have to offer.;D

It'll be interesting to see how well the vgs Digest a complex waveform.

Did Roland really move on to Hipster headphones and cloudware?

That's fine with me. These spicetone Engineers are talented and most importantly passionate about this technology.

chrish

I've done some minor testing running the 13 pin output of the spicetone pedal into the VG 99 and vg8.

My conclusion is that the pedal needs an option to be able to switch between having an effected signal pass thru to the 13 pin output and having the 13 pin input signal pass straight thru to the 13 pin output.

I contacted spicetone and that maybe one of the features that gets upgraded on the next pedal design if that occurs. Spicetone has already had other requests for this feature by current users.

After the warranty period expires I may take a look inside to see if some sort of do it yourself hack can accomplish that goal.

It seems like all that would be required would be to desolder the 13 pin output Jack and place a selector switch,that can accept however many leads are required, between the 13  pin input Jack, the
effected single board pins and the 13 pin output Jack.

I'm sure there are also some diodes and such that need to be placed in the circuit similar to what Roland does for their 13 pin splitter cable.

I'm also certain that there are folks on this forum that already know how that hack could be accomplished. :)

Elantric

QuoteI've done some minor testing running the 13 pin output of the spicetone pedal into the VG 99 and vg8.

My conclusion is that the pedal needs an option to be able to switch between having an effected signal pass thru to the 13 pin output and having the 13 pin input signal pass straight thru to the 13 pin output.

I contacted spicetone and that maybe one of the features that gets upgraded on the next pedal design if that occurs. Spicetone has already had other requests for this feature by current users.

After the warranty period expires I may take a look inside to see if some sort of do it yourself hack can accomplish that goal.

It seems like all that would be required would be to desolder the 13 pin output Jack and place a selector switch,that can accept however many leads are required, between the 13  pin input Jack, the
effected single board pins and the 13 pin output Jack.

I'm sure there are also some diodes and such that need to be placed in the circuit similar to what Roland does for their 13 pin splitter cable.

I'm also certain that there are folks on this forum that already know how that hack could be accomplished. :)

https://www.surplussales.com/switches/SWSealed-2.html

drjoness2001

I have added a page dedicated to the 6Appeal Spicetone at my website, with links to videos, tech details, downloads, and new interior and exterior photos:

https://www.joness.com/gr300/spicetone-6appeal-polyfuzz-distortion-pedal.htm

I was really impressed with the unit, and did another 'Hex Fuzz Shootout", this time comparing the Appeal with the vintage Roland GR-100 poludistorion (hex fuzz) pedal.

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch