Boss GP-10 - How to implement 5 pin MIDI I/O with Raspberry Pi

Started by loulea, July 31, 2014, 01:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loulea

Will,

I just downloaded it. It took about an hour which is reasonable for a 2.3G file (actually 2.245826GB). I opened it, unzipped it and compared the file size with the original. It matched. I am uploading it to another site and will send you link. Maybe your ISP could be limiting the amount you can download at time? Doubt it but it seems to download for me. I don't know what else to try. I don't have a new Mac. I have an old LC III that I use for my old music setup but it is way out of date. Still works though.

If this doesn't work I can send you some files and folders to copy to the PI to achieve the same result. it will allow the PI to boot to UI and load qJackCtl. You just have to configure it. For VNC you just have to follow the procedures in the links provided in the same download link. 
Music is in everyone!!

Will Robinson

Wait! Are you saying the complete file is only 2.3 GB?!?!

If so then I'm the dummy who has 4 copies of it in his trash folder thinking it needed to be 8GB....

EDIT to add:
Yep, I'm the dummy!
Right now I have the image baking onto the card via Apple Pi Baker

So sorry for the additional trouble1

loulea

Hi will, the file is a compressed zip file. The actual file unzipped is around 7.8 GB. Unzip it and and load it :). I should have clued in before. I thought the download crashed on you.

Hopefully you have unlimited data from your ISP. That's 12GB!! :o!

Let me know how it works out.
Music is in everyone!!

Will Robinson

So far so good! I got a little confused on which folder to find the files you said to throwaway. They weren't where I first looked in the Pi/ folder at the top of the list for the Patchbay Settings folder and it wasn't there and the trashcan had one in it so I thought you did that step before making the image...
so setting up the Patchbay didn't work right.

I then found the next folder down in the tree is sort of a mirror of the Pi folder but it has the Home folder...something like that...anyway there was your old settings in another Patchbay Settings folder...so I followed the instructions again and it seems to be right.
After a re-boot it works to control the GP-10.

One thing I might have wrong: I don't have anything on the line Run Script on start up in the Options menu. Is that missing something? You had something there I thought...and in your video... I think it says: "pacmd load-module module--jack channels=2" maybe that is just for audio? Do i need that? Did I read it right or is there more text off to the one side not visible?

Anyway, for now I'm making a back up of the card now before I go forward. I'll change the script thing if you see I should have something and make another back up.

After that I'll set up my wifi on it and then pursue the iPad remote control like you had in the video. If that works another backup...
I see lots of backing up in my future ;)

Tomorrow the little passive touch screen comes with some mini switches to solder on its board so I'll have a pushbutton power switch and some visual clues on the screen to see whats happening.

I figure I'll be able to play around with it when it isn't serving midi connections. I'm a persistent, if not particularly skilled tinkerer ;)

Thanks again!

EDIT to add:
Oh man! This is too cool. I have the iPad working just fine via wifi. No keyboard, no mouse, no monitor....just usb for the midi and power.
You guys ROCK!

loulea

Hi Will,

glad to hear you have success. Yes this image is a little different so the instructions will have to be updated. I set it up to give you a head start by creating the patchbay folder for you. Glad you figured that out.

For that script, you don't need it. I was trying something out eArlier in the PI development days. If it works right now dleave it.

For the remote using the iPad, just download the App and reference the PI by it's DNS name which is "raspberrypi.local:1". The :1 is the port number.

Good work and enjoy!

BY THE WAY,
This new image also works with the older B+
Music is in everyone!!

Tonemasterus

I used loulea's updated image and got everything to boot up and was able to use my ipad with VNC.  But as far as controlling the gp10 I am getting the same error messages as Elantric?  Help??

Dave

loulea

Music is in everyone!!

Tonemasterus

cannot connect to server socket err= No such file or directory
cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

loulea

This is not required for JackMidi. This is for audio portion where you need to setup a Path for your audio server. You can get more info on the Net about setting it up. Not required for MIDI. You going to be processing audio?
Music is in everyone!!

Tonemasterus

no need for audio but when I continue with your setup and connect everything nothing happens no control of gp10?

gumtown

Have you been through the setup guide for the jack connection panel? (made software connections between your midi device and the GP-10?)
The Jack control panel user document is in the first page of this Topic.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Tonemasterus

Finally got it to work!!!  Couldn't find this in the notes but the Midi foot pedal Controller needs to be on Midi Channel 1!!  Duh!  i had mine set to a different midi channel!

Elantric,  the other jack error message is irrelevant, mine works now and it still shows that same error!

Thanks Loulea!!

Dave

Elantric

QuoteThe Jack control panel user document is in the first page of this Topic.

I can only find this reference for Jack Audio:

http://jackaudio.org/

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki

Tonemasterus

I didn't have to make any changes to jack!  Just followed loulea's. PDF for setting up the patch bay after using his latest image.  And realize my user error of making sure the foot controllers midi channel is set to midi channel 1.  It just works!

Dave

loulea

Quote from: Elantric on April 29, 2015, 05:43:24 PM

I can only find this reference for Jack Audio:

http://jackaudio.org/

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki

The jack server is basically used for real time audio. It is similar to the ASIO driver on your PC that your DAW uses. For the GP-10 MIDI you don't need the audio part of jack to send MIDI commands. Jack sits on top of ALSA MIDI and as we have seen from earlier posts that there is two parts to ALSA. There is the audio part and the MIDI part. For the GP-10 we only need the MIDI.

For the audio portion checkout this series of YouTube vids that you can follow to set up the Jack server for you to use real time audio. <>. Hope this helps  :) !
Music is in everyone!!

loulea

Quote from: Tonemasterus on April 29, 2015, 05:29:52 PM
Finally got it to work!!!  Couldn't find this in the notes but the Midi foot pedal Controller needs to be on Midi Channel 1!!  Duh!  i had mine set to a different midi channel!

Elantric,  the other jack error message is irrelevant, mine works now and it still shows that same error!

Thanks Loulea!!

Dave

Yea!!! Glad it worked out for you! Yes Jack only makes the connection for you. After all  that, things that can go wrong will go wrong if don't pay attention to instrument settings ;).
Music is in everyone!!

loulea

Hi,

Here is a good document that gives some information on setting up the Jack Audio. This may give some good info.
Music is in everyone!!

Elantric

OK Will. The network was slow today and took some time to upload the image. I just got back from an outing with the family and have some to time share the link. All the info for setting up the PI is in the link I will be sharing. The latest image is called "RPI_Image_8GB_V2_PI2_From_Scratch_Apr_24_2015.zip". I have loaded this from scratch and has the same features as the original image. It now has Avahi which allows you to find the PI on the network regardless of it's IP address. You don't have to set up the PI for a static IP address. If you want to access via VNC or SSH, just reference it by it's network name which is "raspberrypi.local". For tightVNC you will have to provide the port number at the end ("raspberrypi.local:1").

Here is the link : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byf4qrn_H-ZCVTRfZGdHUEpkcm8&authuser=0 . In this link you will find videos and other instructions to setup the PI. Just download the image, unzip it and burn it to your SD card. Follow the instructions in the patchbay setup file to configure your patchbay to your settings.

Loulea - just want to verify this "RPI_Image_8GB_V2_PI2_From_Scratch_Apr_24_2015.zip" file is still the best one for the latest  / fastest RPI "2" Model B
The raspberry Pi 2 Features A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU and 1GB RAM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T87CSAG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

And

Does RPI_Image_8GB_V2_PI2_From_Scratch_Apr_24_2015.zip work for all versions of RPI?

loulea

Quote from: Elantric on July 07, 2015, 12:12:43 PM

Loulea - just want to verify this "RPI_Image_8GB_V2_PI2_From_Scratch_Apr_24_2015.zip" file is still the best one for the latest  / fastest RPI "2" Model B
The raspberry Pi 2 Features A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU and 1GB RAM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T87CSAG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

And

Does RPI_Image_8GB_V2_PI2_From_Scratch_Apr_24_2015.zip work for all versions of RPI?

Hi Eleantric,

Yes it does work for both the new and the old RPI. I have tried it on both and it works. You can do an update after loading the new image to get the latest changes because it has been a while since I created that image but it will still work.

Louis
Music is in everyone!!

loulea

Quote from:  corpalum
Hi loulea,

I get a lot of errors in gparted from your image, why?

Did you try to resize it to fit an 8gb card?

Thank you for your great work.
Best regards,
cpl

Hi,

I did not use gparted for anything. I created the image the normal way with SDFormatter and downloaded the package from the RPI website. I copied it to the formatted card on my windows PC and plugged it into the RPI. I booted up the RPI and then loaded the RASPIAN OS and configured everything to so you don't have to. I then Image the card with Win32DiskImager which gives us a file size around 7.7GB. I then used 7Zip (similar to WinZip) to shrink it down to around 2GB. I think this is where you think I used gparted and I did not  :o. Use Winzip or 7Zip to unzip the file and then just image it to your card using Win32DiskImager.

loulea
Music is in everyone!!

cplm

Hi Loulea,

No no, I didn't want to guess the program you used to shrink, just only that the image has been shrinked.
Maybe it explains why Gparted can't see the partitions into the SD card and shows a lot of errors.
Try yourself.

No matter anyhow, had already deleted previous msg before your answer.
Thank you again.
Regards,
cpl

batman

Hey guys I'm having some random issues with midi patch changes.  Every now and then when I press a button on the midi controller the GP-10 doesn't change patches.  I know I've pressed the button right because my other effects (on a different midi channel but same midi controller) work.  If I press the button again it works though.  Has anyone had this issue?
There may be two possible causes (I think):
-My midi controller isn't sending the PC message.  I think this is unlikely as PC messages to my other gear (on different midi channels) get sent ok.  If it was an issue with the controller then it's likely that there would be problems on all midi channels.
-The Raspberry Pi isn't passing the midi messages through to the GP-10.

It seems to be random and only happens rarely (not at a live show yet).  Can anyone help?
I'm using a RJM Mastermind controller (http://www.rjmmusic.com/mastermind.php).

guitarman2uk

Hi guys - loving this forum even more now and can't wait to get my GP-10 which is being shipped as we speak!

Would someone be kind enough to do a full tutorial video for us raspberry pi noobs- from installing the software to connecting it to the GP-10.

I plan to use my VG99 FC300 midi controller - has anyone tried it and does it work well?

All very exciting developments in the VG world and there's me thinking the VG died with Rolan's lack of commitment and support.

Thank goodness for you guys - keep up the exceptional work!

Many thanks

jwest

Just a clarification on your project. The job at hand is to get standard 5 pin midi in and out of the GP-10 usb port. You are using a raspberry pi and jack to get this done.

Elantric

Also for clarification - if this thread is too nerdy for you - you can soon buy a ready to run "plug & play"
Boss GP-10 USB to 5 pin midi in and out conversion box here

PrimovaSound MIDX-10

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15758.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15758.msg112719#msg112719