Roland Cube Street EX

Started by Elantric, May 31, 2014, 08:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramissin

Quote from: Elantric on April 28, 2016, 09:07:36 AM
Use EXOS 9 for backing tracks exclusively and your old Cube Street for guitar, and  carry both

Yup, but 'portability' is key, I'd have an EX, Aiwa EXOS-9, DP008 (on a camera tripod), Yamaha Pacifica & a Boss ME80, I'd be wobbling down the street like a bag lady.  :-\

Elantric

When busking on the street - Dont forget to carry the most important thing

ramissin

I have a monkey running around with a cup  ;D

copperfrog

i haven't tried it but
a chapman stick user has a tip on getting a better bass response
he suggests separating the bass into the mic/instum channel and setting it for voice then eq , the higher notes into the other clean channel
http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7961
vg99 boss gp10 tripleplay live3 digitech harmonyman

mattyf

Hello to all,

After taking a couple of years off from busking in the NYC Subways, I will be returning in the next couple of months. I decided up my game a bit and I got this Cube Street EX. I do full performances of music off of my CD that include rhythm guitar and lead guitar work that requires foot control over effects and guitar volume (for solos). The Cube Street EX has the mic channel, and the mp3 input, and an additional stereo input all with their own volume controls which is great. However, unless you like sounding monotone, and generic, and having no control over your volume in real time, the guitar section of this amp is almost totally useless. The Acoustic Guitar setting (NOT THE SIMULATOR) is the saving grace here because its very transparent and its the only setting that plays well with distortion pedals.

Here's what I mean ...

LEAD: Its farty and you can't adjust the gain. It even resists rolling off the guitar volume. Pedals make it even worse.
CRUNCH: It's ok by itself, and goes to hell if you try to overdrive it.
CLEAN: Sounds middle of the road generic, and after trying to dial in an entire collection of distortion pedals including the Boss ST-2, I have concluded that whoever designed this thing never gave any thought to the possibility that someone might want to use pedals for distortion.
AC SIM: Nice. Very similar to the Micro Cube.
ACOUSTIC GUITAR: Now hear this! This is where pedals sound good. I know it sounds crazy but plug in a modelling pedal like the ST-2 and dial out some of the fizz (on the amp, on the pedal, whatever). Here's what I did to get a much more accurate stack sound than this amp can ever hope to provide ...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ST-2 Power Stack settings ...

Level: (do it by your ear). See COMMENTS below.
Bass: 9 O'Clock
Treble: 9 O'Clock
Sound: 2-3 O'Clock

Cube Street EX Settings (guitar section) ...
EQ: 9 O'Clock - MIDS OFF - 9 O'Clock
SELECT: Acoustic Guitar ... NOT THE ACOUSTIC SIMULATOR.

COMMENTS:
Put the volume at half way on the amp, this setting is kind of quiet. Make up for it with the Level control on the ST-2. This arrangement works just as well on the MIC section if you switch it to INST. Works exactly the same actually.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope some hard rock players, metal heads and folks that are picky about their tone find this information useful. I love the features and the four channels but the guitar section of this amp is not a practical design. Of course there is no effects loop to save it.

M

mattyf

Quote from: ramissin on April 28, 2016, 09:30:00 AM
I have a monkey running around with a cup  ;D

I used to play on moving subway trains and I mounted an empty grated cheese jar on my strap so people could tip me while they got off the train if I was in mid song.

M

Rodrigo Schwarz

I am considering buying the Roland Street ex or the JC 40 to use live and at band rehearsals with my pod hd 500x (rarely use my GR with the band, just in my home studio). Both amps attracted me for the ability to use stereo effects and dual amps emulations.

My question is whether the speakers of the roland street ex are suitable for playing classic rock and metal in a band situation playing with a loud drummer.  I'm more inclined for the roland street ex because of the positive reviews of Elantric. any suggestion?
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Elantric

If you are playing heavy rock with a heavy handed Jon Bonham type rock drummer - both  amps will have limits .

The open back JC-40 lacks the low end and high end of the   Roland Cube Street EX

Roland Cube Street EX actually has 5 more watts per side 

Rodrigo Schwarz

Thank you, Elantric! I will buy the Roland Street ex. Besides, the Roland Street ex will be easier to hide from my wife!!!  :D
GR-55 – VG-8EX - Esp Eclipse Standard 2 Amber Cherry Sunburst with GK-2A – Godin Multiac ACS SA - Gianinni Stratosonic (brazilian strat copy) whith EMG pickups – Roland JC 40

Elantric

fazer

Quote from: Elantric on August 10, 2016, 12:38:10 PM
If you are playing heavy rock with a heavy handed Jon Bonham type rock drummer - both  amps will have limits .

The open back JC-40 lacks the low end and high end of the   Roland Cube Street EX

Roland Cube Street EX actually has 5 more watts per side
Electric, from your experience would you say that the Cube Street EX will reproduce a stereo guitar modeller at a higher volume than the JC-40? The JC has a lower wattage rating but I'm also aware it has larger speakers so I'm wondering whether that tips the balance at all. I like the idea of an all-in-one stereo unit with stereo inputs but they actually seem to be quite rare. Thanks.

Pete1959

I bought my Cube Street EX about 5 months ago and depending on the volume of the rehearsal, it is fine for most situations.
Lacks a little punch so in higher volume situations, I send a separate out to a Behringer 12" powered sub and even the 4 by 12s are not a problem.

If anyone is considering modifying their Street EX, I learned of a speaker mod to replace the stock Roland speaker with Jensen MOD8 speakers.

Check this demo on YouTube. Has anyone heard of this as I am really thinking of doing this mod myself.

There are demos at the end showing the difference between the "before" and "after" results at all power levels.
Demo was presented for keyboard players but in using a GP10, and other gear through the Street EX, my thinking this change would bring up the performance up a notch for FRFR use.

Elantric

I still own both JC-40 and Cube Street EX

My CubeStreet EX goes louder and since it s closed back stereo speaker design with tweeters has more low end and high end freq response and works better for guitar synth vs the JC-40

JC-40 only has open back cab and two 10"guitar speakers
https://www.roland.com/us/products/jc-40/specifications/

If anyone is considering modifying their Street EX, I learned of a speaker mod to replace the stock Roland speaker with Jensen MOD8 speakers.

IMHO - Roland / Boss Speakers are actually high quality, and from my experience, swapping them out for alternate types from a third party vendor seldom results in a positive experience.   

And in the video above, I'm hearing more mud with the jensen MOD-80-20 speakers

copperfrog

i'd like to hear the backing tracks along with keyboard (or guitar) playing to be convinced

i thought the stock speaker kept the bass  in the mix better
the jensen's definitely had more punch which good for live i guess

almost sounds like a trade off from rolands slight harshness to jensens slight muddiness
maybe a matched  tweeter mod would dial in both speakers?
vg99 boss gp10 tripleplay live3 digitech harmonyman

Majiken

I'd like to hear it live myself... something about the stock speakers sounds slightly unnatural to my ears, but not sure if the Jensens would make it more natural or just a different flavor of not quite right?

I still use the Roland for battery stuff, just not for critical applications.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

rsm

I use my Roland Cube Street EX as a monitor for my digital modelers (except my Helix LT which I run stereo out into the stereo aux in of my Line 6 AMPLIFi 150, IMO the 150 is a great FRFR monitor for guitar (haven't tried it with my synths or bass yet), and sounds much richer and fuller to me than the Cube Street EX

I think one of the big box online retailers had a sale on these recently? Worth a look IMO.

That said, I have an Alto PA with a sub set up now, so I run everything into my mixer out to the Alto PA now, so the AMPLIFi and Cube Street EX aren't getting much use, but not worth selling either.
rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

admin

Big deal with Cube Street EX is being able to play on a beach or mountain top or street busk with its internal battery power 

If you have AC mains power available, other amps work better.

BladesToyShop

Price isn't putting me off on this; I'll just have to save my pennies until I can afford it and use the Peavey I have access to for a while.

OptionOblivion

What's louder, the cube street ex, or a single powered speaker like the Alto TS212(550w) for example? What about compared to a cube 80xl? I use a GP-10 for mostly clean electric guitar, and some synth tones. I need something that will keep up with a drummer and bassist; I would appreciate any insight.   

Pete1959

Quote from: OptionOblivion on June 24, 2018, 03:09:02 AM
What's louder, the cube street ex, or a single powered speaker like the Alto TS212(550w) for example? What about compared to a cube 80xl? I use a GP-10 for mostly clean electric guitar, and some synth tones. I need something that will keep up with a drummer and bassist; I would appreciate any insight.

The Alto TS212 is an updated and slightly more powerful version of my old TS112. It will keep up with drums & bass whereas my Cube Street EX may not. The Cube Street EX is good for low volume rehearsals or as a personal monitor in front of you. Think of it as the best possible amp when everyone is "unplugged" or play where no AC power is available.

The Alto, Alesis, JBL, etc powered monitors all put out much more sound but of course need AC power.

admin

Compared to Cube Street EX

The Alto Powered Monitor has 10 times the wattage and will be louder

OptionOblivion

Thanks for the response guys; seems like Alto or Headrush frfr is my best bet for what I need. I'm also kind of interested in the cube 80xl though, because of the extra effects and looper.   

Deacon Blue

Been using the Cube EX in small clubs. Excellent! The GR-55 synth sounds suffer a bit, but to the general public (and my ears) it will suffice. Being in my 60's, dragging around my beloved Fender Hot Rod Deluxe was a PITA. Loved the tone - hated the weight. My back says thank you every time I pick up my Cube EX. Perfect for rehearsals and small clubs. :) I'm picking up a Headrush FRFR for larger gigs as I always wanted a FRFR amp for the GR-55...
"When your project isn't working, look for the part that you didn't think was important"
www.Bandmix.com/katylyst

danimanic

Hi, everybody:

I used the wrong power adapter with my Roland Street Cube EX and I think I fried it. Is there a fuse in the amp that I could replace? I'd appreciate any help!

admin

YEs there is an internal fuse