Roland CUBE-80XL

Started by mikelara, December 31, 2011, 08:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drnct

Roland Cube 15XL & 15X Stereo Basement Rig:

I have had a Roland Cube 15XL for about 10 years. Using other amps more recently (Roland Blues Cube Artist, Fender Mustang GT40 and use of headphones with a Digitech RP360, NUX MG-30 and now a Fender Mustang Micro) I've tried to sell it on a couple of sites, but only encountered time-wasters, so in the corner it sat for a long while.

I was looking at a powered monitor setup for using with the Digitech RP360 & NUX MG-30 to take advantage of the modelling/various Cabsims & IRs/stereo FX (plus studio desk, USB interface, rescuing my dead-GPU-iMac for DAW use, etc, etc) when I stumbled across this very informative thread and thought why not run the Multi-FX Out to the Cube Aux-In via a mono 6.3mm jack to 3.5mm stereo mini-jack cable.

Results were excellent, filling my basement with clean sound even on the Power Squeezer setting and at very low volume on the Multi-FXs - so I just bought another Roland Cube 15X for 50 EUR (59 USD) - though it was sold as a 15XL, via what seems to have been an honest seller error.

So now both amps are in a wide stereo setup, sounding identical in tone and volume: Multi-FX L & R Outs, on "Mixer" setting, to the Cubes' Aux-Ins and the sound is huge.

I tried going into the amp inputs, via the Clean channel with EQ at noon and there was a notable volume increase, but a lot more hum (the grounding/earthing in my house isn't great). Since the Aux-In volume is more than I'll need even on the Power Squeezer setting, I'll not worry about a little less volume via Aux-In.

So, a very cheap "FRFR-ish" rig. The studio setup, which I really don't have the time nor musical material to use properly, can wait...  ;D

admin

Quote from: drnct on September 11, 2021, 09:23:55 AM

I have had a Roland Cube 15XL for about 10 years. Using other amps more recently (Roland Blues Cube Artist, Fender Mustang GT40 and use of headphones with a Digitech RP360, NUX MG-30 and now a Fender Mustang Micro) I've tried to sell it on a couple of sites, but only encountered time-wasters, so in the corner it sat for a long while.

I was looking at a powered monitor setup for using with the Digitech RP360 & NUX MG-30 to take advantage of the modelling/various Cabsims & IRs/stereo FX (plus studio desk, USB interface, rescuing my dead-GPU-iMac for DAW use, etc, etc) when I stumbled across this very informative thread and thought why not run the Multi-FX Out to the Cube Aux-In via a mono 6.3mm jack to 3.5mm stereo mini-jack cable.

Results were excellent, filling my basement with clean sound even on the Power Squeezer setting and at very low volume on the Multi-FXs - so I just bought another Roland Cube 15X for 50 EUR (59 USD) - though it was sold as a 15XL, via what seems to have been an honest seller error.

So now both amps are in a wide stereo setup, sounding identical in tone and volume: Multi-FX L & R Outs, on "Mixer" setting, to the Cubes' Aux-Ins and the sound is huge.

I tried going into the amp inputs, via the Clean channel with EQ at noon and there was a notable volume increase, but a lot more hum (the grounding/earthing in my house isn't great). Since the Aux-In volume is more than I'll need even on the Power Squeezer setting, I'll not worry about a little less volume via Aux-In.

So, a very cheap "FRFR-ish" rig. The studio setup, which I really don't have the time nor musical material to use properly, can wait...  ;D

Sounds like a great setup!

I'm evaluating my rigs, and may return to using my Closed Back Cab Cube 80XL + Cube 80GX as Stereo powered monitors  - they deliver a lot more low end thump vs any Mustang - or Katana Combo Amp, and easier to lug to rehearsal vs Atomic CLR NEO speakers   

gumbo

Quote from: admin on September 11, 2021, 09:35:11 AM
Sounds like a great setup!

I'm evaluating my rigs, and may return to using my Closed Back Cab Cube 80XL + Cube 80GX as Stereo powered monitors  - they deliver a lot more low end thump vs any Mustang - or Katana Combo Amp, and easier to lug to rehearsal vs Atomic CLR NEO speakers

Doing exactly the same thing with two Cube 60 lumps....amazing little boxes !
...thanks so much to 'headless' for pointing me at them all those years ago...
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

drnct

Quote from: drnct on September 11, 2021, 09:23:55 AM

...I was looking at a powered monitor setup for using with the Digitech RP360 & NUX MG-30 to take advantage of the modelling/various Cabsims & IRs/stereo FX (plus studio desk, USB interface, rescuing my dead-GPU-iMac for DAW use, etc, etc) when I stumbled across this very informative thread and thought why not run the Multi-FX Out to the Cube 15X(L)s' Aux-In via a mono 6.3mm jack to 3.5mm stereo mini-jack cable...

I did some experiments with the Headphone Out of my Fender Mustang GT40 into the Aux Ins of my two Roland 15X(L)s this evening - also with great results, even with the Power Squeezer setting on. Beautiful wide stereo field to enjoy some of Admin's presets in the Fender Tone cloud.

admin

Elantric

Enable Closed Captions and English Auto Translate