Mellotron

Started by DreamTheory, January 24, 2019, 10:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

http://vst4free.com/free_vst.php?plugin=Redtron_SE&id=2452

Here is a good mellotron. I may be wrong but I suspect the demographic of vguitar players overlaps with fans of The Court of the Crimson King, Close to the Edge, and Question of Balance/In Search of the Lost Chord etc.

This website has tons of free VSTs.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

admin

arkieboy

There are a few 'tron aficionados on the forum ...  ;D

Free is always good!!

If you're willing to pay, I have tried out pretty much every commercial 'tron plugin and sample library that I've been able to stumble across which includes all the usual suspects and many more.  For me there are three that deserve attention:

• if you really must have authenticity, and you can afford it (or even track it down) then the Pinder CD is definitive.  You may need to put some work massaging the sounds into shape as it will likely be in Akai format, but its a brilliant collection with some stunning chamberlain samples.  I've worked with the samples on an album, but I don't own them myself.
  • for 'warts and all' realism, I found the old S50 library disks to have some great basic 3 Violins and Boys Choir sounds.  I have these loaded into Logic and my EMu E5K and they see regular use
  • by far the most useful and accessible is Hollow Sun's libraries/Kontakt plugin http://www.hollowsun.com/hs2/products/newtron/index.htm.  Direct off tape, beautifully looped at near full tape length, I had the disk when he distributed them as ESX libraries and are my goto tron sounds - I trigger them from bass pedals live
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

maglich

I would suggest G-Force's M-tron.