Griffin Studioconnect HD

Started by Ringleader, January 10, 2014, 10:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringleader

24 bit, powers the iPad and omg it has a USB in port!!! Hopefully it is more flexible than the one on the apogee duet.

http://store.griffintechnology.com/studioconnect-hd

Elantric

Looks almost perfect - with the exception that the Big knobs might obscure visual and touch access to lower edge of iPad touchscreen display and it will not be available until September 2014, No doubt due to the requirement for Apple's mFI hardware approval system.

And look at the  rear USB Host port   -  its perfect for Fishman TriplePlay receiver too!
USB MIDI in/out

GALLERY & OVERVIEW
PRODUCT INFORMATION
COMPATIBILITY
RATINGS & REVIEWS
Multi-track recording dock for iPad and your Mac
StudioConnect HD is the easiest all-in-one, high-definition recording interface for iPad and Mac OS X. Now, with multi-tracking, StudioConnect HD is the best mobile recording rig, whether you're on the road, at rehearsal or at home.

Designed by pro-audio engineers for serious musicians and producers, StudioConnect HD provides up to 24-bit / 96k HD recording for mics, guitars, basses and keyboards in one compact device.

Two (2) combo XLR/instrument preamps open the doors to multi-tracking, no matter where you are. Each input has independent gain control, individual +48 V phantom power for condenser microphones, -20 dB pad, and input/clip LED indicators.

StudioConnect HD is built to work with any keyboard your rig requires. With MIDI in/out for both traditional 5-pin DIN-compatible keyboards and modern USB controllers, your favorite sounds from your keyboard rig are easily accessible.

For playback, plug your monitors into the balanced 1/4" outputs on the back of StudioConnect HD. A separate headphone input and level control is located on the front of StudioConnect HD.

Plug in. Play.

We've taken the guesswork out of set-up. Plug in your mic, instrument or keyboard using your industry standard XLR, 1/4" or MIDI cables. Then use one of the included cables to connect to your iPad or Mac. Launch your recording or other audio app and you're on your way. StudioConnect HD's weighted cabinet takes up minimal desktop space as it powers and charges your iPad, so you never need to worry about a dead battery while you're working.

We know that inspiration strikes anywhere and at any time. StudioConnect HD gives you the multi-tracking flexibility and studio-quality audio on your iPad and your Mac. That way, the technology stays out of your way and you stay focused on the important stuff: your riff, your lyrics, your song.

FEATURES
Up to 24-bit / 96k HD recording on your Mac or iPad
Inputs for mics, instruments, and MIDI devices
Outputs for monitors, MIDI devices, and headphones
Includes Apple Lightning Connector, Apple 30-pin Connector, and USB to mini USB cables
Dedicated monitor volume control
Charges your iPad while in use
Compatible apps:

GarageBand (iOS, Mac OS X)
Logic Pro X (Mac OS X)
Auria (iOS)
JamUp / BIAS (iOS)
SPECS
HD recording at up to 24-bit/96kHz
2 combo XLR/instrument inputs with independent gain control
USB MIDI in/out
5-pin MIDI in/out
+48 V phantom power
Balanced 1/4" TRS output for monitors
-20 dB pad
LED input/clip indicators
Compatible with OS X 10.8 and 10.9

Ringleader

Considering they have been toying with this thing since summer NAMM (July 2013), you'd think they would have it ready to ship already.

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=16410

Ringleader

I really hope you can plug a USB hub into it. Would be a real shame if not. I have two Midi over USB devices I want to use - FTP and my homemade footcontroller - both of which only allow USB connections. I made a vow to myself that I'm not buying another iPad interface until it allows me to use both of these devices and powers my iPad simlultaneously - and I'm sticking to it this time!  ;D

mbenigni

Wow, amazing price, too!  I've never had a really high opinion of Griffin products, but at $199 I'd give it a go.

Elantric

They must be on Rev C of Hardware Design by now ;)

They already changed the rear panel Jack layout

And look at the  rear here 

and compare to Rear jacks offered on the earlier version they showed Summer 2013

Ringleader

They removed that Aux in which could have been valuable. Regarding the buttons being in the way of the screen, it seems they went a little extra deep to accomodate bulkier cases. So if you had a thicker case or just put something in the trough (like a rubber pad or something) to raise the iPad a bit it might be ok.

Elantric

QuoteThey removed that Aux in which could have been valuable.

YEs - thats a bummer - although its an easily added HACK DIY Mod.

Ringleader

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2014, 12:40:27 PM
YEs - thats a bummer - although its an easily added HACK DIY Mod.

Really... tell me more please. Would love to add one to my Zoom G3.

Elantric

QuoteYEs - thats a bummer - although its an easily added HACK DIY Mod.

Really... tell me more please. Would love to add one to my Zoom G3.

Here's  a typical one

More ideas here:

http://www.epanorama.net/

Ringleader

Ha thanks. Wish I understood that! No prob though, not that big of a deal to add it to my G3. I've recently changed how I use it so it probably wouldn't work with my new config anyways.

Elantric

In most cases it just easier to insert a small Mixer

or Rolls PM-351 Personal Monitor (a must have IMHO
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=PM351

rolandvg99

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2014, 01:41:31 PM
In most cases it just easier to insert a small Mixer

or Rolls PM-351 Personal Monitor (a must have IMHO

+1 on the Rolls. It's robust (have had mine since its release), works in both stereo and mono (switchable on both line in and instrument in) and doubles as a D.I. for your instrument.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Ringleader

+2 on the Rolls. Have that same one in my little IEM pack.

Elantric

montyrivers

Man they're taking forever to bring this thing to US shores

nervoteso

Hi

i've a focusrite dock itrack and it's cool but it has issues: sometimes ipad is disconnected and i've to restart it. this happens too often.
do you know when griffin studio connect hd will be out? i've been waiting for a long time but it seems it never goes out!!

nervoteso

i didn't see this topic, when does it come out?????

Elantric

at this point the more preferable  ConnectAudio4+ (4in / 4 out and iPad to Mac live audio bus) seems like it is closer to release
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10419.0

Elantric

I'm now convinced Griffin pulled the plug on this vaporware product,
and will never actually release the
Griffin Studioconnect HD

same with SonomaWireWorks GuitarJack Stage - also Missing in action since first announced back in 2013

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/index.php

zenartist

just got this from Griffin ..."
Thank you for your interest in our StudioConnect HD. We're writing to inform you that we no longer have plans to bring StudioConnect HD to market. "  on a good note I get #2 Iconnectaudio4+  from Sweetwater
and they have been shipped   

Elantric

Weird

Today I received a message from Griffin that the StudioConnect HD is now shipping

But all URL Links are still dead

Maybe this is actually going to ship?

whippinpost91850

That is weird I probably deleted the last few emails I got from them, because I wasn;t looking for anything they had. But would be interesting in this if they are shipping ???

admin

FWIW - Griffin informed me They had a software glitch that kicked out the false hope that the product was finally available.. the StudioConnect HD remains NOT available and the product was cancelled.

Still bummed!

whippinpost91850

YEah, That glitch got me excited and disapointed as well when I got the email