VG-99 - Piano (Acoustic)

Started by G, May 29, 2008, 04:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G

Has anyone achieved a piano tone yet with their VG-99?

I'm interested in getting a "skank" like rhythm sound -- that is, having a piano panned to one side, and a guitar panned to the other, to emulate reggae music with and not need to involve a seperate keyboardist.

Could anyone give me some direction on where to start to get a piano tone?  I'm finding it difficult to get that hollow resonance that a piano has along with the initial "ping" hard attack.

prongs_386

I'm also very keen to figure out a piano sound.
I'll have a crack at it when I get my vg99  :)

GeePeeAxe

I think that the VG-99 can sound like a simple e-piano,
but the very complex sound of an acoustic piano cannot
be reproduced. You have to go "guitar-to-midi" and use
an external sound module or computer for this.

Regards,
George
www.midiguitar.de

G

Hey,

I've already been using the guitar-to-midi feature with an external synth, but I was hoping to achieve all the most important sounds with my VG-99 alone.

There is something appealing about having everything "in one box".  I'd feel more secure knowing that me and the VG could go anywhere and be ready to go.

Even as a simple e-piano, I'd be content.  Often, skanks in reggae are cheap little electric piano-sounding anyways.  However I'm having a hard time even getting that.  It's all about that "ping", and I'm not even close to getting that. Any ideas?

giantani

Hi my friends, I think I did a nice acoustic piano patch with my VG 99...

I know it´s sound weird, but at least in my simple system (a VG99 + Iloud) it seems to me very convincing... it not covers all guitar arm extension, but E B G strings sounds very nice till around 12 fret... The low strings have more a feeling of a eletric bass... 

Anybody else succeeded in this area?

Elantric

giantani

Hi Elantric !

Of course my friend ! And I need to say thank you very much, cause I followed your advice and bought the Iloud ... and it´s fantastic my friend !

Please, as you know I´m a newby on this... can you orientate me how to upload my patch? I know that it´s a right and a wrong way to do it, but I don´t know how I should do it properly... 

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13341.0

How to Upload Patches to VGuitarforums

1) Navigate to the matching Processor type and Patch Category.

2) In the Subject Area, Enter the Name of your Patch you wish to share.

3) In the message body area, enter a short description about your Patch and any optional Control Assignments that might be implemented.

4) Click on the lower left" +Attachments and other options"

5) Click on "Browse", and navigate to your Patch, then click "Post"

giantani

Elantric thank you very much and please don´t be angry with me... how Should I upload a patch from my VG 99 to computer in order to upload it to site?   :P

Elantric

Correct

Save VG-99 patch as SMF  *.mid File  - Must use VG-99 Editor!

Instructions were supplied in this post

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64.0

giantani

I did a patch that it seems to me an acoustic piano with some delay.

The piano sounds doesn´t reach all arm extension, but it´s nice on E, B , G strings till around 12th fret.

The D, A, E strings sounds like an eletric bass.

Hope you will like it :)

giantani

Thank you very much my friend!

I don´t know if I did it correctly... can you check please?

giantani

Please give me a feedback... what do you think about it?  It´s possible to use it?

giantani

Elantric thank you my friend!

I think I did properly now !

Please tell me what do you think about it, ok?

Hope you will like it :)

giantani

I was using the VG 99 library instead of editor !! My mistake, sorry !!

Did it properly now :)

Elantric

giantani

I did some small changes, (equalization, reverber etc)

Important to note that when I´m playing with my fingers, without a pick, I get more real tones... but it´s limited, as I said, to E B G strings... so I did some changes in volume in D A E strings.

I just put a mp3 file to anybody who wants to listen a little the sound produced by this patch... sorry about some mistakes, it was just a recorded improvisation   :P

aliensporebomb

Nice. 
I bet you could make it more piano like - maybe a little reverb to give you the feel of a piano in a room and then eq.

I did a similar patch but it sounded more like an electric piano here in an unused cue for a film score I did:
https://soundcloud.com/aliensporebomb/248-nightfall-edit

That's: VG-99 doing guitar-to-midi actual acoustic piano, the VG-99 also generating the 'electric piano with chorus' + synthesized strings.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

chrish

Quote; "sorry about some mistakes, it was just a recorded improvisation "

Didn't hear any mistakes, actually a quite good piece of music and patch.