VG-99 - Violin Wave

Started by rolandvg99, June 22, 2013, 07:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolandvg99

Violin/Cello/Double Bass from a sawtooth wave. Using 100% Delay added to the direct signal for comb filtering. Not exactly precise, but you'll have to work hard to achieve this kind of expressiveness on a MIDI device.

Use device CTL1 and 2 to switch between the three instruments. Violin=1&2 on. Cello=1 off (2 doesn't affect this one). DB=1 on and 2 off.

Contra Cello Violin DEMO
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

montyrivers

Not only do you make some of the most amazing patches on this forum but you do them real justice with your expressiveness!

rolandvg99

Thx for the kind words. The violin came through after some inspirational reading early this morning: How to make a noise: Analog synthesis by Simon Cann

G

MINDBLOWING!  at the higher notes, the expression is incredible

rolandvg99

Thx G. I've had the VG-99 since the day one, but truth is I never touched the synth side until hearing Todd's stuff last year. Also own a VG-88 which I also bought at launch. That one was also only used for guitars, amps and fx. Kind of annoys me that I didn't dwell into these sections before. One relieving thing about it: It's never too late to learn something new and exiting.

From late 2009 to early 2011 I hardly ever used my VGs at all. Got caught by the stompbox/tube amp bandwagon (again). After three tubes blowing at three successive gigs I got fed up and went back to the VG-99. These mothers have yet to fail me. Touch wood!

drjoness2001

Should there be an audio attachment? I found the MIDI file, but not the audio. Thanks! Wayne

rolandvg99

Quote from: drjoness2001 on June 22, 2013, 07:34:06 PMShould there be an audio attachment? I found the MIDI file, but not the audio. Thanks! Wayne

If you click the link it'll bring you to it. It's "resides" in the soundcloud.

Smash

Caught this on your soundcloud feed. Quite brilliant! Bravo  :)

aliensporebomb

Quite a neat patch - I can imagine using this for faux gypsy jazz and the slide swoops in your demo sound like that type of playing!  With a little distortion and delay you could do fake Jean-Luc Ponty when he was in Mahavishnu Orchestra.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rolandvg99

Thx guys. Also made another demo yesterday This time not using slide for playing the "violin" part.

It grows, it grows. (Title reflects me panicking while looking at the ever growing lawn and the weed accompanying it while making this demo :o )

rolandvg99

Another demo using this patch. Played using an eBow. If one thought I was crap at doing slide this demo will be 1 min 35 secs of pure torture.  8)

Roland VG-99 wave violin demo using eBow

aliensporebomb

Quote from: rolandvg99 on June 24, 2013, 05:32:16 AM
Thx guys. Also made another demo yesterday This time not using slide for playing the "violin" part.

It grows, it grows. (Title reflects me panicking while looking at the ever growing lawn and the weed accompanying it while making this demo :o )

Somehow I didn't hear this one.  I love the rhythmic feel of the backing and the 1960s jam feel of the 'Violin' solo.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rolandvg99

Thx for the kind feedback.

Headless68

This is a great patch - my cover band want to play Elbow - one day like this - I'm going to give this a go for the violins
Thanks for sharing

mignolyx

Veramente  un suono interessante su cui lavorare e suonare.
Bellissimo lavoro. Lo stavo cercando. Ho ri acquistato il VG-99 per questo...

Headless68

Quote from: Headless68 on September 18, 2016, 02:45:01 PM
This is a great patch - my cover band want to play Elbow - one day like this - I'm going to give this a go for the violins
Thanks for sharing

We have been playing this song live for a while using a version of this patch - we just recorded it as we are still in lock down in UK at moment - I will share it in the recordings thread :-)