Review: Hughes and Kettner SWITCHBLADE 50 watt combo guitar amp

Started by GtrGeorge, February 20, 2013, 08:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GtrGeorge

Hughes and Kettner SWITCHBLADE 50 watt combo  guitar amp
Pros:all in one package real Tube amp with Fx built in, with MIDI ..light weight for what it is (50 watts,1x12),4 basic settings you can tweak from clean to very very distorted (a diode kicks in at higher gain settings.)  Can be found at good prices  approx500 USD used (2 20 2013). Sells for twice that new..competes well with boutique amps of similar 1,200 USD price point..but offers more features.

Cons: limited editing of Fx, some may not like its sounds....although a versatile amp...it has its own sound (it isnt trying to be some other amp) .

Bottom line: among the best at this feature set. Really does sound and act like tubes (it uses el34s,12ax7). A must hear if you need something like this.
                Newer version (TSC in its name) allow for self biasing of tubes...earlier unit do not.

GtrGeorge  (I use this amp all the time in my band HOLIDAY ROAD in NY)  live footage in 2011,2012 all uses this amp..see/hear the videos at Facebook:HolidayRoadLongIslandsFavoriteCoverBand  and myspace.com/georgebarrysolo

MoeSnodgrass

H&K tube amps are great, probably overpriced new but a great value used. I've owned two model Tube 20s (1 Celestion 12) purchased used years ago. They had something they called "Direct Power Amp Control" which was sort of like a power brake/attenuator that allowed full-wattage distortion at low volume levels. Great FX looping, switchable speaker impedance for extension cabs, and a great DI. The only reason I sold them is because I didn't like the Accutronics brand reverb but now that the reverbs are so good in most pedal boards, I might own one yet again. Good call.

GtrGeorge

Thanks, Moe.
   i agree that H/K tube amps can be QUITE good.  The used prices are UNDER-Valued for what you get. I am very finnicky about my tone..its really got to be good out live and in the studio. The H/K amps deliver.  The truly contain useful technology, in an area where most of the ads talk a good game..but the actual sounds just dont hold up LIVE.
    GtrGeorge

aliensporebomb

I recently tried the H&K Alex Lifeson head into a matching 4x12 bottom and it was a terrific sounding amp with a unique look and good feature set but boy, you'd have to BE Alex Lifeson to afford it.  Head was around $2700 and the bottom was in the $1200 range.  Came with a nice solid steel footswitch for all of the amplifier functions that resembled a FC-300 in some ways but with no plastic.  Seemed like a really nice quality rig but not for the poor amongst us.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

GtrGeorge

I havent tried the Alex Lifeson stuff...I bought my amp for about 600 used and its alot of amp for that money. In the used market,thats where they become available to alot of Us working musicians.  I think H/K deserves more respect. The Switchblade really put it all in one package and does it well...not perfect...but VERY,VERY well.
        There is not much that comes close,imho.

GtrGeorge

aliensporebomb

I know that Allan Holdsworth loves the H&K amps and runs a pair of those in stereo (the switchblades I believe).
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

GtrGeorge

Update:
Alan knows tone..and he is a rare guitarist who isn't AFRAID of technology.   Doesn't surpize me that he uses H/K..they are really ahead of most comp anies..and they NEVER stop.   
There are 2 kinds of switchblade 50watt combo amps..one has self bias and mine,which is earlier ..does not. I haven't compared, but I suspect if your a pro player..get the self biasing one...easier maintenence.
  Currently I am playing many acoustic gigs ..but I am itching to crank my H/K switchblade again. It has always been there for me..in INSANE volume situations and the normal gigs,too.
  I thought at one point Id rather have a Koch amp...they are also really nice.  But side by side and feature for feature the H/K was the winner.
Somewhat warmer, more musical to my ears.  And the onboard Fx and totally usable Fx loop..made it a no brainer.
   It's June 2014 and 50 watt Hughes and Kettner Switchblade STILL is a great amp. I haven't heard better..and I am always looking.
     GtrGeorge