Looping Cover Workshop

Started by Threeleggedyoyo, January 15, 2013, 11:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Threeleggedyoyo

What's up guys.

I thought it would be nice to have a thread discussing how one would break down a song into loops. Sometimes the technical aspect is an interesting challenge.

Here's the deal for me: I thought it would be fun to do some covers to get a little attention on YouTube. Meanwhile, this song by They Might Be Giants, one of my all time favorites, feels really good and relevant to me right now:

A little history on this song: They Might Be Giants has only two official members, and for several years performed that way live, with only a drum machine and programmed bass accompanying them. Their doing this has inspired me with a lot of confidence to love the drum machine for what it is, and not to be afraid to embrace limitations as their own kind of beauty. Meanwhile, the frustration with people's reaction to their methods that this song encapsulates is actually really really perfect for how my music has been received in some circles. Just loving it. It's a real relief and I'd love to do a tribute.

Anyhow, how to do it? I'm using an RC-50, so I'm limited to 3 loops, and I've got two hands. I've got a doubleneck bass/guitar, synth, and other stuff...

The song features mostly bass/guitar/accordion, but it could be paired down pretty well to just bass and guitar. My methodology is that pre-programmed drums are ok but nothing esle.

The trick is, how to loop it? The basic song structure presents a challenge right off the bat: 4 parts and a bridge.

AA
BB
C
DD

AA
BB
C
DD

(Bridge)

etc etc

I could get a fourth part by stopping the 50 or by erasing a part, but then I either lose pre-programmed drums or have to re-build a loop. The song is short and tight so that's not so great.

Now, it IS a cover, and I'd want to give it my own style, so I could mess with the musical structure of it...

Anyway, if I figure it out, I'm sure it will be in a way that's unique to me, but I'm interested in how you guys would approach this challenge. It's a fun puzzle.

Threeleggedyoyo

Right now I'm thinking like this...

D (play bass part as Intro) Phrase 3

A (bass/sing) --- Phrase 1
A (guitar/Sing) --- Phrase 1
B (bass/sing) --- Phrase 2
B (guitar/sing) --- Phrase 2
C --- Stay on B, but mute it, play guitar
D --- (guitar/sing) --- Phrase 3
D --- (guitar/sing) --- Phrase 3

Repeat

Bridge... something something

Main problem is that doing Phrase C is still a challenge with the 50... only way to control volume with feet is with an expression pedal, which I don't have. Mumblegrumble

maxdaddy

What are you using for drums?

I've had a little success recording several measures of the drum beat that I'm going to base the song loop around onto a spot on the JamMan. That assures me that the start/stop point and tempo are set correctly.

If that first loop point isn't set right the whole thing falls apart for me, and I don't do enough of it to become proficient. This thread is good for helping me understand how to analyze a song from scratch for looping.

thanks

Threeleggedyoyo

Quote from: maxdaddy on January 24, 2013, 07:56:21 PM
What are you using for drums?

I've had a little success recording several measures of the drum beat that I'm going to base the song loop around onto a spot on the JamMan. That assures me that the start/stop point and tempo are set correctly.

If that first loop point isn't set right the whole thing falls apart for me, and I don't do enough of it to become proficient. This thread is good for helping me understand how to analyze a song from scratch for looping.

thanks

I'm using an SR-16 drum machine synced to the RC-50. Between that and the quantize function on the RC-50 there are never problems with keeping things synced up. As an added bonus, I can send the drum machine to its own discreet output, also.

That's one big shortcoming of the JamMan in my mind. No Midi sync. I would seriously consider going with the new JamMan Solo if it weren't for Digitech's constant insistence on pretending Midi doesn't exist.

I do like the JamMan for triggering samples though.