JTV - Has Anyone Tried the New Tyler Variax

Started by Elantric, May 02, 2008, 08:09:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I just took part in a Line 6 Variax Owners survey. ( I own a 500, 600, sold a 700)
http://www.questionpro.com/akira/TakeSurvey?id=884749
Its no secret Line 6 recently bought X2 Digital Wireless.

The word on the street is this:

* New Variax coming in 2009
* Provision for Mag PU routing / mixing  with DSP emulated Guitars
* On board mini-POD FX
* Wireless connectivity to a future POD X4 Live
* On board LCD display
* Improved Alt Tunings ( faster DSP)
* VG-8 style "AutoTune"

The are toying with adding Guitar to MIDI capability. And offeirng a "Variax II kit" to one of the  big name  boutique guitar builders (Suhr, Tom Anderson, Sadowsky, etc.)

I told them to make the emulations sound superior to anything they did with the old Variax, add pedal steel emulations, and figure out a way for the string to make full contact with the piezo saddle for the full excursion of a whammy bar full dive bomb - and I might consider buying one.

germanicus

Im a huge variax fan, even with its shortcomings. I have a 300, 600 and 700 acoustic.

Even though its guitar modelling is technically older than the 99, I think its superior in many ways, especially with the acoustic models. Id be ecstatic if they put a 13 pin on the variax. I dont care so much about magnetic pickups honestly, ive been pleased with the emulated models.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

Elantric

It may get a 5 pin MIDI - but RMC does makes a Variax adapter for his Polydrive1 and that will get you to 13 pin land.

Kevin M

I took the same survey.  I had a 600 and still own a 300.  The on board fx doesn't interest me, but better modeling, alternate tunings, and overall guitar quality improvements would be great.  I'd also be interested in seeing the so-called 'kit' being released.

rcknrllmn

I have a variax 500.  The quality & playability of the guitar is a real issue for me.
I used it live for about 7 months.  The neck moved & strings started to buzz, had to raise the action & make adjustments.
Began to be hard as hell to play even though it sounded cool.
Then I got the VG-99 & installed the GK-3 in my fav Les Paul I've had since '88 & can really wail.
Will never go back to a variax until I can find one that plays as nice as my Paul.
I will not put up with the crappy playing action ever again.

germanicus

http://line6.com/community/thread/1103?start=45&tstart=0

The poster Line6Renken is the Variax product manager. Not too much meaty stuff, but its definitely in the works. Its sounds as if its quite far along.

Traynor k4

germanicus

New thread for input and discussion started here:
http://line6.com/community/thread/6801?tstart=0

Sounds like 13 pin isnt a priority for inclusion yet although a break out box may be in the future.

New models (sounds like there will be several types) will have magnetic pickups, vdi, trs output, rechargeable lithium ion battery pack for 10-14 hours charge, sleep mode controlled by volume control. Sounds like they are tweaking/improving the alternate tuning as well.

Traynor k4

rackvax

Yep, the Variax II is something to keep a close eye on because Line 6 is really trying to outdo themselves this time!

In the mean time, check out RackVax if you haven't already. ;)
Introducing RackVax. Now your guitar can sound like an entire collection of guitars...
http://www.rackvax.com

Virtual Tone

If so, what's your take on it?  Do you liike it better than the VG99 modeling?

Here's a review.  http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/james-tyler-variax-jtv-69us-274926/review

The ones not made in the USA I believe sell for around $1,100 give or take (depending on the model).

VT  8)

germanicus

Quote from: Virtual Tone on September 24, 2010, 07:17:51 AM
If so, what's your take on it?  Do you liike it better than the VG99 modeling?

Here's a review.  http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/guitars/electric/6-string-solid-body/james-tyler-variax-jtv-69us-274926/review

The ones not made in the USA I believe sell for around $1,100 give or take (depending on the model).

VT  8)

I will be picking one up as soon as they are actually available and will post a review comparison with the older variax's and the vg99.

Traynor k4

dhaiphi

"It looks better than the first Variax, but what else is new ?" That's THE good question. ;)

Virtual Tone

Quote from:  dhaiphi on September 24, 2010, 01:21:10 PM
"It looks better than the first Variax, but what else is new ?" That's THE good question. ;)

The conclusion in the review says "The 2010 Variax updates the previous version with better sounds, functionality and a much, much better chassis: a must-try for any player who requires lots of different sounds or tunings, fast."

VT 8)

germanicus

A few things that have slipped out from Rich Renken.

Its really more variax MK 1.5 rather than 2.0

-Its the same set of models.

-It has 4x the dsp due to a new dual core chipset.
This allows less warble in the alternate tunings and the capability of alternately tuning the sitars and 12 strings.

-New li-poly battery.

-Dedicated tuning knob.

-You dont need workbench to tweak the tunings, you can do pretty much any tuning and store it on the tuning knob in a matter of seconds.
It does however come with workbench for deep tweaking.

FWIW I think that even the older variaxs were superior in terms of guitar modeling accuracy when compared to the vg99, its just they had much less dsp and suffered as a result (warble, no altered 12 strings), especially in altered tunings.

A jt variax with a gk pickup on it may be a pretty formidable combo.

Traynor k4

Elantric

This is going around - complete the survey if you are a Variax owner
Variax End User Survey Spring 2017
VARIAX OWNER SURVEY
Be part of the Variax evolution
and thought leadership
Dear Variax User,

Thank you for choosing a Line 6 Variax guitar. We hope you enjoy the multitude of sounds and capabilities this instrument has to offer. We, the Line 6 Products team, would like to learn more about how you are using your guitar and how we can make it better. This survey will help us do exactly that, and we hope that we can ask you to complete it soon. The survey is mostly comprised of multiple-choice questions that are easy to answer, and will take about 10 minutes to complete.

What features do you want in the new model ?

i voted for more user controls, Touch Sensors, , Improved DSP Models, Improved Alt Tuning ,  and Guitar to MIDI

vtgearhead

Yes, I filled in my survey last evening.  Voted for essentially the same items you list, along with write-ins for:

• Remove protection scheme on battery
  • Publish setup specs.  Just. No. Excuse. for their refusal to disclose such basic information.

I understand that there may be regulatory issues regarding batteries, but that doesn't explain why there's healthy competition for laptop battery replacements (which have arguably greater energy density than a Line 6 guitar battery).

musicsingle

Haven't received Survey........Owned at least six Variaxes, two presently.

GuitarBuilder

I sold my older Variax and picked up the Standard model built by Yamaha last year.  It's a massive improvement in quality over the older versions.  It's fun to read the posts at the beginning of this thread!

I don't have a Helix (went with Kemper and Roland/BOSS instead), but I still use the Standard with my old POD HD500 or just straight into the BOSS Katana 100.  The cool part about using VDI connection is that it powers the guitar and you don't have to worry about batteries.  Some of the models sound quite reasonable, others not nearly as nice as VG-99 or GP-10.  The controls are IMHO already at max complexity level for the average player: a model knob and selector switch for 56 models? Are you kidding me?  This is why the HD500/Helix VDI connection is superior.  I don't think that many options on the guitar itself are necessary.  I'm a huge fan and user of alternate tunings, but I don't need 10 Alt tunings on the guitar either.

I just finished an ATG guitar (more on that in the future) built from the Antares Luthier Kit.  It has two encoders, just like the Variax, for a total of about 72 possibilities.  Again, I doubt anyone playing live would remember that song 11 needs encoder 1 on setting 3 and encoder 2 at position 11.  Having numbered presets on the guitar doesn't do it for me.  Antares' solution to the problem is using MIDI Designer on iOS to control the guitar.  Royal PITA to set up and use live!  Plus less reliable than the Line 6 VDI connection.

In the end I prefer to control volume, tone, and pickups with my hands and everything else (models, tuning, etc.) with my feet. MIDI foot controllers with displays and set/song capability are my favorite (like the VController on this forum)

I took the survey as well and essentially conveyed the above.  Keep it simple on the guitar with less possibilities and more user customization.  And absolutely add a hex output, but not using the piezo pickups.  I'm concerned about losing the cool acoustic model sounds if they eliminate the piezos and go magnetic only.  There's an audible difference.  MIDI would be nice as well, perhaps they could team up with Fishman and install the OEM FTP.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

mockchoi

I took the survey as well.  I asked for configurable displays (I can never remember what my alt tunings are) and wrote in for an update of the acoustic 700 guitar.

admin

Just filled in the recent Line-6 Variax Survey  -check your email

vtgearhead

Just finished mine.  Summary:  I suggested they ditch the piezo pickups in favor of hex magnetic and concentrate on improving the modeling (pitch shift in particular) before worrying about more esoteric issues.

mordecai

Same here. Noticing a lot of the JTV69 are showing as no longer sold on a bunch of sites. Exciting stuff and making me wonder when they'll come out with the new stuff. Yamaha guitars are nice so would imagine having some of their higher end guitars with Variax tech will be a welcomed addition. Bring on the HX refresh!

admin

Quote from: dshow, post: 28533584, member: 153359My suggestions where something like this (owning a JTV-69):
- Improve modeling in general
- less latency
- Nylon string
- Belly cut
- Maple neck version
- 43mm Nut width
- Stainless steel fret
- Make the neck pocket standard fender style size and shape so that it is easier swapping necks
- Possibility to use only the piezo without any modeling would open many possibilities
Add
Employ a magnetic divided PU for improved Palm muting

Pedal steel bending

GUITAR TO MIDI - to drive third party Synths

USB-C - using Neutrik connectors - expand ability to edit without a dongle/ adapter
Multi- channel audio I/O - for reguitaring