TRAYNOR K4 STEREO AMP

Started by germanicus, April 29, 2008, 02:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Would you guys still consider the K-4 in light of all the modern well-priced powered speakers?

I have the chance to buy a used one in great shape for $500 Canadian which translates to about $390 US.  I already have a pair of Alesis Alpha 112's, but they have a really distracting low-level hiss regardless of the speaker's settings so at low volumes I am not pleased with them.

I am not sure if the K-4 would be any better in this regard, but the K-4 does have a more flexible input scheme and a built-in effects package and it's a single carry for stereo, but it's heavier at 57.3 lbs vs 31 lbs.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

Traynor K4 tend to go through tweeters like popcorn
Luckily they are cheap to replace

I believe Germanicus still uses his

Chumly

I've just read about it thanks to your prompt, I'll guess I'll sleep on it as to which is the lesser of two evils; distracting low level hiss on the Alesis or poor HF diaphragm reliability on the Traynor.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman