GR-55- Playing without amplifier, via computer’s line-in input

Started by zjerry, September 03, 2012, 07:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zjerry

Maybe I'll save somebody few minutes of frustration with this one

There is a little trap that you can encounter when connecting the GR-55 to the computer's Line-in socket under Windows 7/8. Since I'm a home player I've decided to play with GR-55 without headphones via computer's speakers so I've connected the L/MONO-OUTPUT-R socket to the line-in on computer. At first I had no success - there was no sound, so I entered the recording devices properties in sound control panel applet and enabled listening to the device. Unfortunately I experienced a lot of glitches in sound and also noticed a latency of about ¼ second.

After poking in various settings of recording and playback devices in setting I came to the following simple conclusion:

1.   Turn of any "listening" checkboxes in recording devices
2.   In speaker settings -> levels adjust the level knob of Line-in which is set to 0 by default

Now latency is gone and sound is crystal clear.

gumtown

You may get better results by using the GR-55 USB cable, and setting Windows (or mac) to use the GR-55 as the soundcard/audio output device, then plug the amplified speakers into the GR-55 outputs. All your computer sounds and tracks will playback thorugh the GR-55 USB with no latency.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/