VG-88 - Sharing VG-88 Patches

Started by audiotrax, May 27, 2012, 06:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

audiotrax

Elantric:  what's the best way to share my VG-88 patches?  I usually just back up a SysX dump to Cubase 5, then save it as a song file.  That wouldn't be very universal for most people.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

Elantric

Actually a MIDI Sysex dump is still extremely useful -as the VG-88 can send and receive that.  Many apps beside Cubase can receive and transmit MIDI Sysex dumps - that used to be the universal method for all gear to backup the patches, and I'm sad the latest  gear seems to be designed by a new generation or engineers who either shun MIDI, or do not think its important, or are told by marketing that MIDI is dead. So we end up with all these new "closed systems. Case in point is the latest Zoom G3 and G5 - Where's the MIDI  I/O ports??  This explains why I still keep my Vox Tonelab SE and LE too, as the modern "replacements" are 50% less productive without MIDI ports.

Remember Sam Ash for many months refused to carry the GR-55 after their purchasing manager heard the GR-55 still had a MIDI  I/O port. (@#$%?)

Its actually been a while since I connected my VG-88 to a computer.

i was using the VG-88 Editor (VEditor) here:

There is also a VG-88 Patch Organizer app - but remember both of these were designed for Windows 95  -and may have real problems running on Win 7 (use VMware and run a virtual WinXP environment)
Both can be download here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;cat=20

George Pootnik is a VG-88 master
http://appaz7.free.fr/VG88/VG88TM.htm

arkieboy

Thanks, Elantric

Downloaded - I'll check them out over the next few days ...

Need to see if I can get the editor working in a VM on OSX though :-/

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

Should work

I currently use a Mac Pro running  Snow Leopard as my work machine, and running VM-Ware Fusion 4 I have Win XP Pro  and Win7 running just fine and talks to all my hardware.

arkieboy

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

audiotrax

I should know this but I'm confused: can I record the MIDI SysX dump from the VG88 into Cubase and export THAT as a standard MIDI file?  Would another VG88 even recognize that?  I didn't know a regular MIDI file could contain that kind of data.
Owner of: VG-88, GI-10, Cubase 5, Kontakt, SampleTank, var VSTI's, Roland JV1080.  Strat with GK-2A, two Roland GR500 analog guitar synths

arkieboy

Yes, yes and yes if it listens on the same channel and has the same midi device ID (VG88 manual: page 69 for device ID, 72 for bulk dump and load).  The device ID rarely gets changed - unless you need to use two VG88s in the same rig - so you can usually forget about it.

Sometimes the sequencer route is the most reliable as some units - not generally Roland ones - can be picky about the timing of sysex messages.  Recording a sequence guarantees that it is played back at the same speed as the unit can understand it.

Steve