Looper using Ableton Live 8 and GR-55 as control.

Started by Elantric, May 20, 2012, 09:05:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

mbenigni wrote>
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5953.msg40968#msg40968
Hey Jimmy, try this out as a starting point.  It's a Live 8.13, for whatever that's worth - not sure what other versions may be compatible.  It's pretty simple, with a Looper on Track 1, routed to Track 2 whose send to the Reverb bus can be used to mix in reverb post-looper.  (You might be able to make something even simpler, e.g. a Looper and Reverb in series on Track 1, period.)  Audio from Track 2 is then routed to Master.

I've got GR-55's CTL pedal used for record->play->overdub (in that order, you can change it in the Looper settings) and all quantizing etc turned off.  S2 will stop the track and clear it in one go.  This all assumes your GR55 is set up to the factory defaults of CTL on CC7 and S2 on CC1.  I think I may have changed my channel though to ch 4.  (An old joke about 4 on the floor...)  I'll take some pics of my USB/MIDI settings and post them below.  If it doesn't work for you, I can walk you through using Live's MIDI learn feature, which is dead simple.  The most important thing is to turn GR55 MIDI Out on, leave direct monitoring on (for this particular Live set), and set the CTL pedal to something momentary, rather than toggle.  I find that Hold momentary works, but it will potentially conflict if you're playing PCM tones.  Annoyingly, the CTL light (momentary) setting, which would be perfect, actually sends a toggle signal for some reason (i.e. another firmware bug...)

OK my pics were pretty low quality, so let me just try to summarize.

GR55 System menu -> Pedal/GK -> CTL
   CTL FUNCTION: HOLD
   HOLD TYPE: 2
   SWITCH MODE: MOMENT    (This is crucial!)
   PCM TONE1: OFF
   PCM TONE2: OFF

SYSTEM -> MIDI/USB -> USB
   AUDIO IN LEVEL: 143
   AUDIO OUT LEVEL: 70 (Tweak these two until Ableton input is not overloaded and loop playback matches GR55 level)
   DIRECT MONITOR: ON

SYSTEM -> MIDI/USB -> GTR-MIDI (ommitting suff that doesn't matter)
   SWITCH ON
   MODE ON
   STRING CH 4
   CTL PEDAL CC 7
   GK S1 CC 1 (Note: this is the CC I'm using.  I call it S2 above because I swap S1/S2 in my GR settings, but apparently the GR sends the S1 CC anyway.)
   GK S2 CC 2

Lastly, be sure you have "remote" turned on in addition to "track" for your GR55 MIDI input in your Ableton Live preferences.  I don't think my prefs will come over as part of the als file, unfortunately.  Let me know how you make out!

thedavs

Hi

I have been trying to set this up on live for a while now with no joy  :(

but tryed to down load and open but i have an older version live 8.0.4 is there any chance please could you try to save in an older format

Many thanks

Ps you guys rock if web site did not exist i would have sold the gr 55 a long time ago but with you guys i love it  ;D