RMC V9SF-001 - VG-99 Internal Subsonic Filter board

Started by Elantric, March 23, 2008, 05:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic1iful

Thanks mate, but I am in the U.S. You might want to write a docier on it and ask Brent to make it a Sticky Thread. We don't have anything permenent here for working with Banks.

fokof

I've just ordered a bass model , I'll keep you guys informed.....

Elantric

From Dr Wayne Joness -
"Roland VG-99 V9SF-001 03 Input Jack Board RMC Installation "
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

fokof

Just a little heads up with these filters ; can't use it if you have a reversed pickup setup.
If so , the low E is gonna have the filter of the high E.

All your instruments must be at "normal" in "GK pickup direction"

Didn't think of this when I installed mine on my VB99 , the sound was awfull , no more low end. Tracking on the low B was very bad.
After a couple of exchange with Richard , ask me if I was a lefty ........   doh!

BTW this guy is so nice , very good service.

Merci Richard

Elantric

One path  for a lefty RMC Sub Filter "Fix" is to disassemble your GK-3B  - and swap PU wires on the internal White connector mounted to the GK-3B PC board.  Not too difficult.

Then reassign the VB-99 GK-Direction settings to "normal". 

fokof

My main bass , a Carvin LB75pf  has a Ghost kit in it and it was a PITA to do. Very very custom.  ;D

What's the color code to identify wich string is wich on a GK3 ? (there is 8 wires if I remember corrctly)

Elantric

QuoteCarvin LB75pf  has a Ghost kit in it
Ghost is a different story - and actually much easier! No soldering required.

In the pic above see the discreet black connectors, entering the middle of the top PC board, these are the connections for  each string's Piezo saddle to the Hexpander board.
Simply swap the PU connector plugs on the PC board header - move far left plug to the far right plug location, etc.

refer to this diagram too
http://www.graphtech.com/fckeditor/userfiles/File/PK-0680.pdf

fokof

I meant ; what's the color code for the strings on a GK3B from Roland ?
I have another bass with a GK3B ....

( Yeah , the Ghost kit is very easy for that)

Elantric

QuoteI meant ; what's the color code for the strings on a GK3B from Roland ?

What year is your GK3B ?

I believe this can change. depending on the fabrication date, and the subcontractor.

Take a pic of your GK-3B board, post a photobucket.com link here - and then i can tell you where to move YOUR GK-3B wires.

fokof

Elantric

fokof

6 = blue     / low B
5 = green   / E
4 = Yellow  / A
3 = Orange / D
2 = Red      / G
1 = Brown   / high C

I'll post this info back to the VB section

Elantric

Sounds like you have this sorted out?

So to convert a Left Hand HEx PU to a run as a right handed Gk Hex PU,  - swap the wiring  sequence on that GK-3B PC board header to :
1 = blue     / low B
2 = green   / E
3 = Yellow  / A
4 = Orange / D
5 = Red      / G
6 = Brown   / high C

then simply choose GK PU Direction  = "NORMAL" on your VG/GR processors.

drjoness2001

Correct info on the re-wire.

I've done this on about four guitars, I'm not left handed, but I don't like the little stem sticking out above the pickups where my hand can bump into it.

bgflex

I would just like to report that, having purchased an OPT-01, Richard and his company were great to do business with, the product is easy to install, high quality and works as described. If you plan to use a Godin or another piezo based pickup system with a GR-55 or VG-99, don't think twice about buying it. It is very fairly priced, if not underpriced, for the time, effort and workmanship that went into it and well worth the investment.

Brak(E)man

Don't know if this is any help but

Did something similar on the 8 and 88
worked a beaut with the reg hex pickups
made pitchshift etc. much better an more stabile

http://unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=vgmods
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Elantric

QuoteDon't know if this is any help but

Did something similar on the 8 and 88
worked a beaut with the reg hex pickups
made pitchshift etc. much better an more stabile

http://unfretted.com/loader.php?LINK=vgmods

The front end 6 channel preamp on the older Roland VG-8, VG-8EX, VG-88 units was a different design than current products and used larger accessible components  - thus those mods which were developed by Richard McClish at RMC  and reposted at Unfretted.com  worked well to improve performance with piezo pickups

But starting with the VG-99, Roland now uses small surface mount components, and relies on a digital input filter located inside the A/D convertor IC.

So the old VG-8, VG-88 resistor  / capacitor swap mods are not possible with VG-99, GR-55.

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Elantric on August 21, 2012, 07:54:17 AM

The front end 6 channel preamp on the older Roland VG-8, VG-8EX, VG-88 units was a different design than current products and used larger accessible components  - thus those mods which were developed by Richard McClish at RMC  and reposted at Unfretted.com  worked well to improve performance with piezo pickups

But starting with the VG-99, Roland now uses small surface mount components, and relies on a digital input filter located inside the A/D convertor IC.

So the old VG-8, VG-88 resistor  / capacitor swap mods are not possible with VG-99, GR-55.

yeah I knew that , my point is that the mod made a big difference not only with piezo but
also with the hex mic , since i haven't modified the 99 i don't know if that's the case
but a subfilter should at least not make it worse :)
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

danielleoh

Hello,
New to the forum, but as I've played a VG-88 and a VG-99 for a few months now, I'm wondering about this problem.  I love the sound of the VG modeled guitars with the Graphtech pickups on my Moog guitar, but when I try to use, say, the GR-300 synth type sounds, things get ugly, fast.  In reading about issues people have experienced with the GR-55's modeling (same stuff, different package) and Graphtechs, it seems like the standard solution is a third-party add-on board that eliminates subsonic frequencies.  That makes sense to me (and for that matter it would also make sense to filter out supersonic noise as well) but since I'm just about to buy myself a 99 and it's going to clean out the bank for awhile, I was wondering what other people do.
Things I have tried with some, but not enough success:
1) Turning down (way down) string sensitivity
2) Setting the pickup type to the right kind of graph tech (of course)
3) Fiddling with the global eq settings, although I haven't had the 99 in my hands enough times to know if that was changing the input signal or just making the output less noisy by severe attenuation.

One thing I've noticed is that the guy whose 99 I've been using (we're in the same band) just doesn't seem to notice the issue; he's not that great a guitarist so he uses it mostly to clean up his acoustic sound and to slip into different tunings when he wants.  He just kind of avoids the hex fuzz and GR-300 sounds as not his thing, so I wondered if other people are just content to use less than all of their VG capabilities because they figure the noise factor is too great and assume they are maybe doing something wrong rather than this being an endemic problem.

Any input is appreciated.  I'm considering whipping up an inline hex filter to attempt to fix the problem (or mutilating my beautiful Moog guitar to add the GK) and would like to go a less drastic route if at all possible.

Thanks,

Danielle

Elantric

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8305.msg59241#msg59241

Also should state that any Hiss & Noise present in your on guitar mounted hex preamp will also manifest as Hiss & Noise present in your COSM Modelling Tone.

In this regard the Graphtech Ghost "MIDI Expander" preamp exhibits more Hiss & Noise, (compared to  RMC Piezos or Roland GK-3 noise), and this is tougher to tame.   

Probably the worst performing "Roland GK-13 compatible" hex pickup preamp (with too much self generated hiss and noise)  is the Gibson Dark Fire / Dusk Tiger+ RIP box+13 pin adapter cable.

Most VG-99 guitarists with a Ghost 13 pin PU have installed the RMC sub filter board inside the VG-99 (to tame low frequency right hand noises and Palm Muting noises on VG-99 GR-300 patch.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=568.0
and carefully employ the GK COSM  N.S. (Noise Suppressor) during VG-99 Patch creation - which acts as a noise gate to tame the "hiss" from the Graphtech Ghost MIDIExpander hex preamp.

Elantric

Quote3) Fiddling with the global eq settings, although I haven't had the 99 in my hands enough times to know if that was changing the input signal or just making the output less noisy by severe attenuation.

VG-99 FAQ: TOP THINGS TO KNOW
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13.0

See VG-99 Global EQ is near final output

Quote(or mutilating my beautiful Moog guitar to add the GK-3)

Be advised many have tried this before and FAILED!

Due to the massive magnetic flux paths on the Moog E1, the Roland GK-3 is NOT Compatible. You end up with noise and crosstalk and during Guitar to MIDI massive mis-triggers.

reference reading
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7672.0

danielleoh

Wow, thanks so much, Elantric!  You saved me lots of needless pain.
I see that the best idea might be to build that outboard, inline hex filter.  I know it will help; guess I need to next ask if anyone else is interested in knowing how it all turns out.

Thanks again,

Danielle

Elantric

QuoteWow, thanks so much, Elantric!  You saved me lots of needless pain.

You are welcome!

QuoteI see that the best idea might be to build that outboard, inline hex filter.  I know it will help; guess I need to next ask if anyone else is interested in knowing how it all turns out.
Many have placed the RMC Sub Filter in an external box - for use with other processors
See member "a2dconvertor"'s post
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.msg24785#msg24785

Tonato

Hi! I am writing in a panic mode!

Just installed the V9SF001 subsonic filter and after powering up, the VG keeps changing presents constantly, one after the other, which of course makes it impossible to use. The installation seemed pretty straight forward, but now I am concern something might be broken. Still have faith I did something wrong and its not the end of the world!!

Any help would be massively appreciated!!!!!

THANKS!

admin