GR-33 -Bricked, and then unbricked my GR-33

Started by philflood, March 13, 2008, 08:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

philflood

My luthier is having some difficulty getting everything working properly with my Gk-3-Kit install in my Brain Moore Custom Shop. I had given him my GR-33 to have while checking things out, but I wasn't getting exactly the same problem replication with the GR-33 as we are having with the VG-99. (Basically the S1/S2 switch is not working right. We now think its a bad switch.) I had decided to do a reset of the GR-33 to make sure everything was running per factory specs, but, just to be thorough, i checked to see if there are a firmware upgrade that had not been installed. Sure enough, my GR-33 was running 1.02 and 1.03 was available on the Roland site. There was even a version for Mac OSX on the Roland site. Well, I downloaded the OSX update files and the SMF player for OSX, ran the update, and it never got to the all complete stage. It ran through all 16 files, but never would display the message. The GR-33 was bricked. At start up it would show Roland GR-33, and that it. No patches, nothing. Fortunately, the Super Updater program looked to me like when it installed, it was placing a completely new sytem in the place of the the old one. So, I downloaded the PC version of the update, and tried running the updater from the PC. Total success. The GR-33 is back working, no issues. So, if you have a GR-33 to update, I recommend avoiding the Mac update.